Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moncrief or Whalen?

RockThatBlue

Moncrief, no doubt.  He has a far higher ceiling, better physical tools, and is a bigger investment

With Reggie out that means one of these two will see .ore snaps. Would you rather see Whalen or Moncrief get more snaps in Reggies absence?

Yes, it's an obvious choice here. Moncrief for sure. We need to get him in the loop and get him running real-time routes in real game situations. We need to secure some good receivers for long term so why not see what he's made of while we have the opportunity.

Nicks and Hilton will probably be the featured duo with a lot of two tightends or tightend and tightend as fullback looks. 

#feedMoncrief  -- I think we saw last week Moncrief is starting to get involved in the offense and is taking some PT from Nicks.  However, Whalen (in some ways) is more like Wayne -- Luck likes to have a possession receiver and someone he can trust to check down to.  I imagine Whalen will get some reps if Wayne isn't playing and will get some dink-and-dunk yards.  Moncrief and Nicks are more vertical/outside threats with their size and speed -- Whalen should be able to find some pockets in the defense for short yards in the middle of the field.  I expect a mix, and a lot of TE/RB receptions if Wayne isn't in the line-up.

It all depends on down and distance if you ask me.  Moncrief and Whalen are 2 different types of receivers, and each can contribute to the offense in their own way.  Personally I would like to see TY, Moncrief and Whalen on the field at the same time.  Sprinkle Nicks in there but he just doesnt have the chemistry with Luck that Whalen seems to have and it even seems that Moncrief is outperforming him as well. 

The great thing about this offense is that Pep utilizes different personnel packages a lot so its very likely that if Wayne can't go we will see all 4 of the WRs out there at some point, which is good!  Use all the weapons you have at your disposal.

I hope the coaching staff is actually pro-active in the Moncrief plan and saving him for the playoffs.

I think it is a brilliant to continue to use Moncrief VERY sparingly. He is coming on and getting better and better and can be our secret weapon in the playoffs. Opposing teams have very little film on him and I think it's a great idea to keep it that way. He is hard enough to cover and will have the advantage of no one being familiar with his moves and cuts. I say sprinkle him in very judiciously and save him as an ace in our back pocket.

Of course, I have been saying this all along and all bets are off if injuries in the receiving corps pile up.

ColtsHappy

Send TY and Moncreif out on deep routes and throw to whoever has best the coverage. 

If neither one is open, through underneath to the wide open space since safeties are cleared out to whoever is mismatched on a LB. 

Or to Richardson/Bradshaw out of the backfield. 

Rinse and repeat. 

Profit. 

The Colts will need Moncrief eventually to take heat off of TY.    Teams will eventually take TY away and then we NEED another down field threat.

IF it can happen this season...    THIS O will be SCARY.

We need to involve both Whalen and Moncrief. Whalen has got better route running but Moncrief has got that explosiveness.