Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontaze Burfict

What do you guys think about Vontaze Burfict? He was originally predicted as a potential Top 5 pick but has slid far down the draft boards due to a "bad attitude". You think that he could be a second round steal? IMO I think that he has the potential to be a monster in the right scheme (which won't be a Cover 2). He could change the culture of this defense. Sort of like James Harrison or Suh. His only real problem is lack of maturity.

Never heard of him, but what exactly about Harrison or Suh's attitudes are you seeking? You are coincidentally posting this the same day that Suh is being suspended two games for acting like a low-life thug on the field. An inmature version of their ideal (with a "bad attitude") doesn't exact seem like the type of player I'd like to root for.

I'd prefer to just get good football players. Does Troy Palamalu have the attitude you are referring to? How about LaMar Woodley or James Farrior? How about Dwight Freeney or Bob Sanders? What exactly is your point?

Never heard of him, but what exactly about Harrison or Suh's attitudes are you seeking? You are coincidentally posting this the same day that Suh is being suspended two games for acting like a low-life thug on the field. An inmature version of their ideal (with an "attitude problem") doesn't exact seem like the type of player I'd like to root for.

I'd prefer to just get good football players. Does Troy Palamalu have the attitude you are referring to? How about LaMar Woodley or James Farrior? How about Dwight Freeney or Bob Sanders? What exactly is your point?

I was using examples of player with tough attitudes that have been dominate forces that other players on D have fed off of. No need to get riled up I was just asking opinions. That 2nd paragraph has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I said he was the exception, not the rule.

Honestly I think Burfict is the LB version of Suh. A very aggressive but immature player who sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him. This leads to a lot of personal foul penalties. The difference is that Burfict was interviewed prior to the start of the season and asked about this and he admitted it was a problem and he said he was making a conscious effort to improve. His play has changed, but in the fact that he's slower and more cautious and trying not to get flagged...but the problem is that he still loses his temper at times and he's still getting those personal foul penalties. So his play has dropped this season but he's still getting penalties. A really good coach may be able to help him out but imo he's a bit of a project because of this issue. I would take Luke Kuechly, Manti Teo, Nigel Bradham or Keenan Robinson over him in a heartbeat.

I was using examples of player with tough attitudes that have been dominate forces that other players on D have fed off of. No need to get riled up I was just asking opinions. That 2nd paragraph has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I said he was the exception, not the rule.

Not getting riled up, but I do respect and am proud of the Colt's tendency to focus on players with reasonable morals. The point of the second paragraph was that I'd much prefer players like two Steelers I listed rather than the Steeler that you listed.

Not getting riled up, but I do respect and am proud of the Colt's tendency to focus on players with reasonable morals. The point of the second paragraph was that I'd much prefer players like two Steelers I listed rather than the Steeler that you listed.

BTW The last sentence in my OP was that lack of maturity was a problem. I wasn't condoning Suh or Burfict in anyway.

What do you guys think about Vontaze Burfict? He was originally predicted as a potential Top 5 pick but has slid far down the draft boards due to a "bad attitude". You think that he could be a second round steal? IMO I think that he has the potential to be a monster in the right scheme (which won't be a Cover 2). He could change the culture of this defense. Sort of like James Harrison or Suh. His only real problem is lack of maturity.

i am in arizona i have been to a couple asu games and i am telling you this is the next Ray Lewis he is all that and more but he will not fall to the second round he is to good. Top 15 book it

If we could get him in the 2nd round then I'd think about it very hard. He has a lot of talent, but his personal foul problems and attitude are getting in the way a bunch. At least he admits that he has problems unlike Suh who thinks he does nothing wrong. If we can get some great coaches for him then I think that would help a lot.

He has the skill and athleticism to play OLB (SAM) as a pass rusher and coverage linebacker in the 4-3 Under, and I am going to have Wheeler as his back up, i'll post the revised if you were the GM today, make sure you give me your updates!

He can also play MLB and WLB haha. I thought one of his strong suits was coverage? We need help at WLB in that department and maybe MLB, depending on if Angerer could play WLB effectively.

Although he has showed good play at Mike, i'd rather see Angerer on the outside, I think he is decent in coverage, I thought about the play against Finley in the preseason, and thought how solid of coverage that was, it's unfair to cover Finley anyway, I don't care who you are. And I think Angerer at Will in the 4-3 Under is perfect, it's like having two Mike's anyway in that formation. Look at my Revised If you were the GM post... I think you will love the starting defense!

Although he has showed good play at Mike, i'd rather see Angerer on the outside, I think he is decent in coverage, I thought about the play against Finley in the preseason, and thought how solid of coverage that was, it's unfair to cover Finley anyway, I don't care who you are. And I think Angerer at Will in the 4-3 Under is perfect, it's like having two Mike's anyway in that formation. Look at my Revised If you were the GM post... I think you will love the starting defense!

As long as Philip Wheeler is the starting SLB then I will love it!

Come on bro, the kid has showed improvements, but starter material?

Definitely starting material, he's played better than Angerer did last year at SLB, and he is better in coverage than Kavell Conner. He's also a very good blitzer. Maybe we should blitz him as much as the Broncos blitz Von Miller. That guy has 10.5 sacks as a rookie linebacker in a 4-3!

I am a huge ASU fan and have seen Burfict play in person and on TV several times. He is good for at least a couple of personal foul type penalties every game. On top of that, his play has been less than expected this year considering his preseason hype. If I am the Colts, I don't touch him in the draft.