Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Akeem Ayers traded to the Pats

B~Town

Does he add enough to make up for......

The Boston Globe reports Patriots RE Chandler Jones has a hip injury that will sideline him "about" one month.

The out-of-nowhere news is crushing for a Patriots pass rush that's been anchored by Jones this season. Jones has notched 4.5 of the Pats' 18 sacks, and been their only consistent generator of heat. This being the Pats, we may not receive an official timetable, but reporter Shalise Manza Young is very reliable. Jones' status should be updated when the Pats return to official practice on Wednesday. Jones sat out Tuesday's informal session.

Paul Kuharsky who covers the Titans for ESPN weighs in on the trade:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. --What’s the value of a guy who hasn’t played in five of his team’s seven games and ranks fourth among outside linebackers on a team getting minimal production from the position?

The Titans are getting the Patriots' sixth-round pick in next year's draft in exchange for Akeem Ayers and a the Titans' seventh-round pick, as long as he passes a physical.

The trade does not have any conditions connected to it.

Good job by the Titans getting something for a guy who’s in a contract year and contributing nothing.

Bad job for the Titans turning a second-round draft pick into much, much less.

I suspect the move speaks to the ongoing attempt to change the culture of the Titans. Ayers showed no fire and made no strong move to force his way into the lineup even as others at his position have been unproductive. He should have been working tirelessly to show coaches he needed to be active and on the field with the defense. Ayers did no such thing. "

Does he add enough to make up for......

The Boston Globe reports Patriots RE Chandler Jones has a hip injury that will sideline him "about" one month.

The out-of-nowhere news is crushing for a Patriots pass rush that's been anchored by Jones this season. Jones has notched 4.5 of the Pats' 18 sacks, and been their only consistent generator of heat. This being the Pats, we may not receive an official timetable, but reporter Shalise Manza Young is very reliable. Jones' status should be updated when the Pats return to official practice on Wednesday. Jones sat out Tuesday's informal session.

We'll see. I hope so. Thankfully Jones is only out a month and the Pats have a bye during that time too so should only be 3 games he misses.

Heard the Pats are working on trading Browner back to Seattle to help there struggling DB group any word on that from your neck of the woods ?

I have not heard this at all. Browner just came back from suspension and was decent vs the Jets. With him and Revis out there, the Pats have a very formidable secondary.

Heard the Pats are working on trading Browner back to Seattle to help there struggling DB group any word on that from your neck of the woods ?

Belichick hasn't anything to press just yet but I'm sure if anything is on the table he'll make us aware soon. He's like that :-)

After pondering this longer the Jones injury may help the Patriots in the long run. I'm liking their moves and I think they can package Nic, Moore and Easley well enough to live without Jones for awhile. More depth and bodies come playoff time.

After pondering this longer the Jones injury may help the Patriots in the long run. I'm liking their moves and I think they can package Nic, Moore and Easley well enough to live without Jones for awhile. More depth and bodies come playoff time.

Maybe but this is the toughest part of the schedule.  I would have preferred to have Jones but honestly it is our run D that needs the most help. I hope these additions can man up on the line and fill the gaps.

Pats secondary is pretty formidable...I think they have one to rival ours..top 3 in AFC for sure...the real issue is the run defense with Mayo out. Not only does that hurt them because of time of possession but it wears out your pass rushers and puts extra pressure on that back end. Also it keeps Brady off the field and when he sits sometimes he has issues getting back in rythem....if you give them a couple 3 and outs he usually drives it right down and scores on you. Ayers had a lot of potential...for our sake I hope he is done ala Haynesworth but if anyone can get anything out of him it will be Bill.

Here ya go.. some more great news......

The hip injury Patriots DE Chandler Jones suffered Week 7 will sideline him at least six weeks, and could cost him the entire season.

That escalated quickly. Orignially expected to be a month long absence, it now appears Jones will at best be avaible for the Patriots' Week 13 contest against the Packers, though New England is "not optimistic" Jones will be able to meet that timetable. Jones' injury is a huge blow for the Patriots' defense. Jones has 4.5 of New England's 18 sacks this season, and his pass-rushing presence makes everyone else along the defensive front better.
Source: Boston Herald
Oct 25 - 1:48 P