Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Kerr

backshoulderfade

He's already playing the most snaps of our NTs. He had 21 snaps to Montori Hughes's 15 and Josh Chapman's 9.

Can't really hold Chapman's snaps too heavy cause he's only there when we run our base defense. Once teams spread the field Chapman comes out to get our pass rushers in there

And seeing how today's league is.... Chap is gonna have to improve his pass rushing by a bunch if he wants to be a routine contributor or even stay on the team for that matter.

He should be our Vince Wilfork honestly

Can't really hold Chapman's snaps too heavy cause he's only there when we run our base defense. Once teams spread the field Chapman comes out to get our pass rushers in there

And seeing how today's league is.... Chap is gonna have to improve his pass rushing by a bunch if he wants to be a routine contributor or even stay on the team for that matter.

No, that's not true...at all.  They knew what he was when they drafted him.  He's a big, run stuffing NT.  

I do agree with your first statement...the reason Chapman's snaps have declined is because of the way games have been starting with the colts getting out to big leads early on, and then they play primarily Nickel D after that.  But I highly disagree that Chapman's spot on the team is in any kind of danger.

Kerr is coming along nicely, especially considering he's an UDFA rookie.  He still gets manhandled on a lot of plays but that is too be expected coming from Delaware and making that jump to the NFL.  What I like is he is learning very quickly how to counter the oline when they are stronger than he is and I will see an olineman do something to gain control of Kerr and then the next time they try it, Kerr already has figured out a way to negate the move.

Definitely a good find.

Kerr is coming along nicely, especially considering he's an UDFA rookie.  He still gets manhandled on a lot of plays but that is too be expected coming from Delaware and making that jump to the NFL.  What I like is he is learning very quickly how to counter the oline when they are stronger than he is and I will see an olineman do something to gain control of Kerr and then the next time they try it, Kerr already has figured out a way to negate the move.

Definitely a good find.

Coffee (anyone please jump in), you seem to assess D line talent a lot better than I can. What do you think about Hughes? It looks to me like he's also coming on, but I'm not watching the All 22.

Anyone know their grades from PFF for example?

Coffee (anyone please jump in), you seem to assess D line talent a lot better than I can. What do you think about Hughes? It looks to me like he's also coming on, but I'm not watching the All 22.

Hughes is -2.3 overall and Kerr is -2.6 overall. Not bad for young guys.

Thanks, but I don't know what that means. On an a-f scale, how does that correspond?

They grade play by play. 0 means you did your job but nothing special, 0.5 is good play and execution, and +1 is total domination where you totally beat your guy. On the other side; -.5 is you didn't do your job well, and -1 is complete failure. Every play is graded on that scale to get a players overall.

Edit: the scale is from +2 to -2 per play but the gist is the same. Here is a better explanation from the source...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

Each grade given is between +2 and -2, with 0.5 increments and an average of 0. A positive intervention in the game rates a positive grading and vice-versa. Very (very) few performances draw a +/-2 rating. In fact, the distribution of non-zero grades is like this:

+2.0 -- 0.01percent

+1.5 -- 0.3percent

+1.0 -- 16percent

+0.5 -- 37percent (unbalanced because of the way WRsand HBs are rated)

-0.5 -- 24percent

-1.0 -- 22percent

-1.5 -- 0.5percent

-2.0 -- 0.01percent

The grading takes into account many things and effectively brings “intelligence” to raw statistics.

For example, a raw stat might tell you a tackle conceded a sack. However, how long did he protect the QB for before he gave it up? Additionally, when did he give it up? If it was within the last two minutes on a potentially game-tying drive, it may be rather more important than when his team is running out the clock in a 30-point blowout.

The average grade, or what we would typically expect of the average player, is therefore defined as zero. In reality, the vast majority of grades on each individual play are zero and what we are grading are the exceptions to this.

A seal block on the backside of a play, for example, is something that it is reasonable to expect to be completed successfully. Consequently, it receives a zero grade, whereas the differentiation between a good and poor block is a heavy downgrade for a failed seal block to the backside of a running play.

I don't think I do and I really don't get much of a chance to watch All-22 either.  But from what I've seen he is doing well.  He doesn't move as well as Chapman but he doesn't get moved out of the way either.   He still gets tricked by a counter move or misdirection but he seems to be doing a better job following the play.

But, for me, he hasn't had any plays where I was like, "Man, who was that guy making that play."  And I've said that several times for both Chapman and Kerr this year.

I think Hughes is doing well too.  He doesn't get his name called a whole bunch but when you really focus in on him he holds up well at the point of attack and gets good penetration against the run.  He hasn't been bad from what I've seen.

Those guys up front are the reason why the run defense has been so stout. They move so well laterally that any off-tackle or stretch play, is usually limited to little or nothing. For as big as they are, biggest line in the league if I remember correctly, they are so light on their feet. Sure, a running play here and there has broke on them, but for the most part they have limited pretty much anything coming through. Very underrated D-line, and only going to get better.

Zach Kerr is definitely a great find by Grigson, he's made some great plays out there on the field and is a monster at stuffing the run. Our UDFA rookies are performing quite well overall too, honestly. Purifoy isn't too bad and Harrison is getting better at center, I've got nothing wrong with them.

Those guys up front are the reason why the run defense has been so stout. They move so well laterally that any off-tackle or stretch play, is usually limited to little or nothing. For as big as they are, biggest line in the league if I remember correctly, they are so light on their feet. Sure, a running play here and there has broke on them, but for the most part they have limited pretty much anything coming through. Very underrated D-line, and only going to get better.

I was thinking yesterday that perhaps a lot of our defensive improvement has come from the fact that our depth up front allows us to rotate guys on the D-line and keep them fresh.  

With Art Jones we have 6 guys there who can competently fill 3 spots.  Hard to wear down a D-line when we can rotate that many guys in and the only way to stop said rotation is to go no huddle.

Thinking Chapman ever had a chance to be like Wilfork is delusional