Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

who is the best colts QB not named unitas manning or luck

Jared "J.Load" Lorenzen.

LOL.  I kinda feel bad for the guy, but then I really don't.  Not being able to keep a steady diet cost him his wife and at least several hundreds of thousands of dollars, amongst other things.  It's not quite as bad as getting cut for getting arrested, but it's about as close as you can get. 

Pedantically... the actual question to the question of who IS the best Colts QB not named Unitas/Manning/Luck is Matt Hasselbeck as he's the only Colts QB not named as per the previous.:P

Now who WAS the best Colts QB I'd have to say Bert Jones going from folklore. 

In my mind, Jones was the first real "gunslinger."  He had the arm and the attitude to match.  His confidence (opponents would say arrogance) literally carried the team at times and gave them confidence in themselves.  Carr, Mitchell, Mackey, Lee, Chester, Doughty, the Sack Pack...that was a fun team to watch.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I remember they posted a rookie talent show last year and Julian kind of blew everyone else away I think.
    • “I” didnt “get” the Ravens, as i live in Pennsylvania..... however.... you obviously  “got” an attitude over the whole thing.     And a Thank You right back.
    • Wow. That’s another good one. Hadn’t  thought of that. 
    • I don't see the Colts moving up at all in the first round this year. I think the opposite will happen, a trade down so Ballard can get back a 3rd round pick.
    • Ballard has traded his first round pick each of the last three years. Different circumstances in each case, so maybe not a pattern, but the idea that Ballard is willing to give up his first rounder for what he perceives as "value" is not a made up concept.   And we don't have to rehash the 2019 decision, but suggesting it was not the correct path seems to be based on either wanting Sweat, not liking Ya-Sin, or some combination of the two. That sets aside the likelihood that Sweat wasn't on their board. It also misses the point of a trade back, which is based on their idea of value at that point in the draft, not just on who they can/do pick. That trade netted the Colts #34 in the 2020 draft. There's no question that they got great value out of that trade.   Listening to Ballard talk about how he approaches the draft, and comparing it to the moves he's made, he seems to favor having greater value than he does having higher picks. His words: "I love them picks." The trade up for Taylor is an exception, but that cost him a fifth. Compare that to trading back in 2019, and picking up a future second. It's a different story entirely.   Sitting at #21, with the QB position addressed, and IMO the first round being very top heavy with a bit of a logjam of similar talent outside of the top 15 guys (setting aside QBs), I think any team would be exploring a trade, up or down. If you have a major need at a critical position, you can't expect a great prospect to fall to the 20s. And I think there's a clear separation between the first tier and the second tier -- especially at tackle and edge -- with a lot of good prospects at those positions on Day 2.    If I had to bet right now, I'd bet that we trade back. Especially after the Wentz deal, but also after getting a better idea for the way this draft seems to set to go.    One thing worth considering, but that I don't think is likely to happen, is a variation on @richard pallo's scenario. Just because the first three picks will be QBs, and maybe Denver comes up to four, and Philly might take a QB, or Detroit might move down for a team who wants a QB... we might have five QBs in the top ten, probably will have five in the top 20, so there are a couple of top 15 prospects who might last to #21. But I think they'll be DB/LB/WR prospects, not edge/tackle prospects, because again, I think the value for edge/tackle is on Day 2 if you can't get one of the top guys.   So maybe Darrisaw or Slater or Paye -- someone that the Colts really like at one of these high value positions -- is still available at #16, and they have an opportunity to move up. That might result in the Colts having just four or five picks in this year's draft. But I don't realistically see that happening. Ballard likes having more picks, and he doesn't like trading future picks (he's only done it once, for a QB they see as a potential franchise anchor). But I don't think that's likely.
  • Members

• chad72

chad72 7,406

• WentzinRome

WentzinRome 40

• Coltsman1788

Coltsman1788 1,502

• Superman

Superman 9,407

Moderators
    • WoolMagnet

WoolMagnet 3,220