Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boom Herron

krunk

Gosh I'd like to see this guy get some more carries, but it's so hard with Bradshaw and Richardson running so good now. Herron doesn't waste any time finding the hole and bursting through it.  This kid is very decisive when you give him the ball. I think he averaged about 8 yards a carry on his 2 runs vs the Bengals, and I'm sure he would have gotten a long run with a couple more carries.  Can we make this a 3 headed monster?

If we could get this guy going I wouldn't even be worried about bringing in another back to add "pop" to the running game. He may not be the fastest guy in the world but he's so quick getting in and out of the hole it makes up for what he doesn't have in speed.

Didn't he out rush the Bengals too?

Peyton Manning would have out rushed the Bengals the way our defense was playing. 

Still Boom makes you feel good should Trent or Bradshaw go down.  Hopefully he's okay but T-Rich had his hamnstring iced towards the end of the game we might see Boom get his shot next week. 

I thought Boom was a bust? At least that is what some were saying anyway.

I think Boom has played well in every game he's played in this year.  

Now, to be fair,  he's playing at the end of games that have been won decisively by the Colts...  much different than when the game is on the line....

But I don't know where the "bust" label came from??     Are we referring to his time with the Colts?   Or his time at Ohio State because he wasn't drafted?       Just askin.....

The guy can be a VERY good complimentary back. He runs nearly identical (very hard runner) to the way Bradshaw does, and if he can improve on pass protection, he will have a job for a long time. I watched Boom A LOT as a Buckeye, due to being a Buckeye fan, and had he not got hurt his last year, he would have easily been a 2nd or 3rd round pick. If Richardson is out for any amount of time, I don't think the Colts will see much of a drop off with Boom getting more carries.

I think Boom has played well in every game he's played in this year.  

Now, to be fair,  he's playing at the end of games that have been won decisively by the Colts...  much different than when the game is on the line....

But I don't know where the "bust" label came from??     Are we referring to his time with the Colts?   Or his time at Ohio State because he wasn't drafted?       Just askin.....

Not sure I would label him a bust at any point. As far as not being drafted, he got hurt his final year, half way in to the season. He would have been drafted, and at the least, in the middle rounds. Ohio State had released Tressel the year before, and had Fickel as the interim coach, who wasn't so hot coaching that year. Actually, it was Ohio States first losing season in well over a decade.

Still mad CBS changed to the Titans game would have loved to see Boom get a few carries . Who is behind Boom I remember another guy looking good in preseason .

I believe you're thinking of Zurlon Tipton.  He's currently on the colt Practice squad :)

He was drafted in the 6th round.  Can't really bust from the 6th round,

I believe you're thinking of Zurlon Tipton.  He's currently on the colt Practice squad :)

Wasn't he a UDFA.  Can't really bust as a UDFA either.

I like the way Boom runs and I don't think the OP was advocating him supplanting wither TRich or Bradshaw, nor was he pointing to his yards and yards per carry in the Bengals game as proof, he was just talking about his running style.... and I agree, I like they way he runs with the ball.  Reminds me a lot of D. Brown just without the top end speed but I would bet that in the first 10 yards he is as fast as just about any back in the league.

Boom's low pad level means he can fall forward for a yard or two at contact. Ditto Bradshaw. Trent too often gets straightened up and pushed back. If Trent can't go Sunday, I think Boom will do at least as well running. Not so sure about his pass receiving and blocking.

Okay, who was the guy making fun of me before the season when I said Boom could beat out Ballard? When I said he was a better RB in college just waiting for his chance?

Come forward and take your medicine John Locke!

(J/K, I love Ballard too)

I hate to say it. I just don't know if Ballard will be back. Or Donald Thomas for that matter. Time to move on and give the young guns the chance. Btw, I really like Tipton also. Big guy who runs hard and has some speed.

He played at the end of the game

Not always pertinent when evaluating a player. The burst, quickness, and decisiveness that Herron has displayed is mutually exclusive to what string of players he went against, nor what the score/situation displayed. That guy is pretty damn good, and it only takes 1 injury to that backfield for him to show what he's got, and I bet he'd show it well. We may get that look if Trent's hammy doesn't heal up, those injuries can be nasty and persistent through a great deal of time. 

Boom hasn't had enough time on the field to be called a bust. It was a low risk draft pick. Besides, he's done ok when he gets the ball. Haven't looked up stats and do not care to as I've had a long day.

Cincinnati drafted him in 2012, not us. We took him from their practice squad last season.