Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

some points from cincy game

Overall, this is the best I've seen our D play in years (maybe ever), and our O was pretty darn good, too.

Offense:

1) Very solid game by T-Rich (5.5 yards/carry) and Bradshaw (5.2 yards/carry) and both had good games receiving as well.  Boom looked very strong in there towards the end. T-Rich seemed to pick his hole and go with it today more so than in the past, which was nice to see.

2) Overall, I think a lot of our run success was due to our O-Line being healthy and playing with fire.  I never like to see penalties, but that false start Thornton got called for when he came off the line and attacked their NT just seemed fiery to me, something I worry about with Thornton from time to time.  I hope we stay healthy and continue to play with that fire.  Cincy doesn't have that great of a run D, but we still dominated them at the line.

3) I noticed Reitz in for Cherilus towards the end of the game, I like Reitz, but I am hoping this is nothing more than wanting to keep Cherilus healthy and give Reitz some reps at T while we had a commanding lead.

4) Seemed like Moncrief is starting to take some of Nicks' snaps away.  Our offense was pretty efficient today, so I've got no complaints but I will be interested to see how this plays out going forward.

5) We almost doubled their time of possession.  Some of this is due to our D forcing so many 3-and-outs, but it is very encouraging to me that the O can move the chains effectively week in and week out.  If we limit our mistakes, this T.O.P. is going to go along way for us in beating teams in the playoffs (by mistakes, I mean like turnovers which cost us the Eagles game).  I am convinced the best way to beat some of the higher powered offenses in the league is to simply keep them off the field.

Defense:

1) Vontae should be getting a lot more recognition after today.  We know on this board how good he is, but after that hit on Gio and his play today I expect the analysts from ESPN/NFL Network to really start putting Vontae's name on the map.  He is a stud and there are very few guys in the league that can cover and tackle like he can.

2) As good as we played, we can still cut down on some mistakes.  If Walden doesn't get that flag and ejection, there is a good chance we would have held them to 0 first downs in the first half.  It didn't bite us today, but we can't afford to give away first downs or yards which we also did on a few encroachment penalties.

3) Bjoern played very well again today, IMO.  He seems to be playing with a lot more confidence and is letting things come natural to him rather than thinking and hesitating about plays.

4) Newsome, I thought, played very well filling in for Walden.  He's going to start getting his sacks and I think will be a big part of pass-rush packages going forward.

5) Ricky Jean-Francois seemed to be more active and involved today than I've seen him in a while and did very well with a sack and 3 QB hits -- hopefully this continues going forward.

6) Adams and Brown played very well at S, they didn't let anything get past them -- the only real big play Cincy had was a sideline route to Sanu which Toler covered very well, Sanu just made a heck of a play.

Special Teams:

1) Patty  Mac should be an all-pro this year -- he is punting great (not only putting a lot of yardage on his punts, but also putting hang time and placing them to minimize potential damage on the returns.  I also like him because he showed again today that he isn't afraid to make a tackle.  Not often will you see a kicker wrap up and take a returner down like Pat did on A. Jones in the 2nd half on a kickoff.

2) Vinny remains Mr. Consistent.  Not that it mattered by this point, but great to see he can still put 50 yarders away with relative ease.

Overall:

I can only see returns of D. Butler and A. Jones benefiting this D.  If the O can put points on the board like it has been and can control so much clock, I really expect our pass-rush to continue to improve with a healthy Jones back in the line-up, it will be great to be able to get him back in the rotation while being able to keep all our defenders fresh/rested with the ability to dial up blitz packages (hard to blitz if you're playing from behind, but that's not the case if we continue to play with a lead).  At this point, I'll be very content with leaving Sergio at S when Landry returns and think if we can just remain healthy on D we'll continue to improve.  Same goes for our O, that is the best the line has played this year and I really hope we can keep those guys healthy moving forward.  I imagine we are not a team that others in the NFL want to be playing right now, we're hot and only getting hotter.

Overall:

I can only see returns of D. Butler and A. Jones benefiting this D.  If the O can put points on the board like it has been and can control so much clock, I really expect our pass-rush to continue to improve with a healthy Jones back in the line-up, it will be great to be able to get him back in the rotation while being able to keep all our defenders fresh/rested with the ability to dial up blitz packages (hard to blitz if you're playing from behind, but that's not the case if we continue to play with a lead).  At this point, I'll be very content with leaving Sergio at S when Landry returns and think if we can just remain healthy on D we'll continue to improve.  Same goes for our O, that is the best the line has played this year and I really hope we can keep those guys healthy moving forward.  I imagine we are not a team that others in the NFL want to be playing right now, we're hot and only getting hotter.

Plus we get Landry back in two weeks. 

:peek:

First post ever!!!!

The domination of both the defensive line and offensive line( for the most part ) makes me believe the hype. The only thing is, we aren't being hyped by anyone. That should change tomorrow.

The 2 passes caught by Allen and Fleener, pretty close together in the 2nd half, were pretty amazing.

The most dominate Colts defensive player, imo, Vontae Davis had a few huge stops. Why Dalton was even trying him is confusing.

I love what Redding is doing also.

First post ever!!!!

The domination of both the defensive line and offensive line( for the most part ) makes me believe the hype. The only thing is, we aren't being hyped by anyone. That should change tomorrow.

The 2 passes caught by Allen and Fleener, pretty close together in the 2nd half, were pretty amazing.

The most dominate Colts defensive player, imo, Vontae Davis had a few huge stops. Why Dalton was even trying him is confusing.

I love what Redding is doing also.

Welcome to the board!

I thought T Rich was really good today outside of the fumble.  I don't why it seems whenever he has a good game it's never complete without a fumble.  Gotta get that corrected Trent!   Good game though sir.

Bradshaw had a good game as well, but he needs to clean up the fumbles as well.

Liked what I saw out of the running game as a whole though.

This is the best game I have seen the defense play in a while, I'm far impressed with the improvements that we have on defense this season as a whole too. Even without Mathis, we're producing pressure and sacks on the QB, I love it, and not to mention our secondary is playing just as well too. The offense played great too, minus the two fumbles, by far one of the most dominating performances I've seen in so long on both sides. I'm really happy with what's happening, I couldn't be more proud of Indy right now.

I thought T Rich was really good today outside of the fumble.  I don't why it seems whenever he has a good game it's never complete without a fumble.  Gotta get that corrected Trent!   Good game though sir.

That fumble was on Luck, sloppy handoff.

He stuck it right in his chest area.  I think it was manageable.

That fumble was on Luck, sloppy handoff.

I think both players have a bit to blame in this case.  We were lucky Cincy didn't capitalize on this, and in the end it is a relatively minor and fixable issue.  The best part about this win, IMO, is that as good as we played, we still could have been better and I am sure the coaches will find plenty to work on after reviewing the tape.  If we start getting our minor/fixable issues fixed and playing 60 minutes of mistake-free football, I think we've shown we have the skill to compete with anyone.  Last year, I don't think our team was truly a superbowl caliber team and didn't really have much of a shot to make it thru NE or Denver in the playoffs because they were simply better teams than us come playoff time.  However, I do believe we've got the talent on both sides of the ball to compete with anyone this year (barring major injury), and come playoff time we will not only have to play our best football, but we'll have to cut out this fixable mistakes and avoid shooting ourselves in the foot.  There is enough parity in the league right now, where I think some of these big games come playoff time are going to come down to 'who did a better job at not beating themselves?'