Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unpopular Opinion thread

Dustin

Someone, I can't remember who, probably Yehoodi if I had to guess, had a breakdown of this in terms of defensive points allowed for Manning and Brady in the post-season. The difference was very slim if I remember correctly but the belief has always been that Brady had these superior defenses when Manning had some of his own as well. I think it easy to look back on era with colored-glasses, I know I am guilty of that at times but absolute statements like the Colts lost in the playoffs because there defenses stunk every year is patently untrue. Just as it is also patently untrue to say the Pats O was not good those years. You don't get to the playoffs every year like Brady and Manning have without having good teams around you, period.

The difference between points allowed by those defenses was less than a field goal per game, if I recall correctly.

Also there were times (second half of the Pats-Panthers SB) where the Patriots' defense was not very good. It gets blown up in hindsight, like you said. Aside from Rodney Harrison, there isn't a single NFL hall-of-famer from that group, but you always hear that Brady had a "hall of fame" defense.

It's probably from the first SB where they did such a great job (on a legendary gameplan) in shutting down the Rams. 

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference between points allowed by those defenses was less than a field goal per game, if I recall correctly.

Also there were times (second half of the Pats-Panthers SB) where the Patriots' defense was not very good. It gets blown up in hindsight, like you said. Aside from Rodney Harrison, there isn't a single NFL hall-of-famer from that group, but you always hear that Brady had a "hall of fame" defense.

It's probably from the first SB where they did such a great job (on a legendary gameplan) in shutting down the Rams. 

Good points. I don't think Rodney will make the HoF.

It's possible... can't remember exactly but I think he's the only NFL player with 30 INTs and 30 sacks? 

Yes, you  are right. On October 21, 2007, he became the initial member of the 30/30 Club of players with both 30 interceptions and 30 sacks. He is joined by Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.

That is impressive. I am not sure though if he was the best safety of his generation. Hard for defensive players to get it in general but he may have a case. He had good post-season numbers too along with two rings.

Yes, you  are right. On October 21, 2007, he became the initial member of the 30/30 Club of players with both 30 interceptions and 30 sacks. He is joined by Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.

That is impressive. I am not sure though if he was the best safety of his generation. Hard for defensive players to get it in general but he may have a case. He had good post-season numbers too along with two rings.

His rep as a dirty player won't help him either. 

Gotta love Rodney though. One of those guys who's great when he's on your team and evil when he's not!

Diet Coke tastes better than regular coke.

Along with that one I would say that people who drink diet soft drinks typically don't drink them because they think they are healthier but because they like the taste better.  

Far too often I see people making fun of someone for eating an unhealthy meal with a diet soft drink acting like the people think that the diet soft drink makes their meal healthier or something.  But the thing is a lot of people just like the taste of diet soft drinks more then regular ones.  I'm not one of those people, but I know several people who honestly like the taste of diet better.  

jvan is right about Brady. He even had sophomore slump.

Mike was a good coach (I said good...not Vince Lombardi) just like Jim is. What SF needs to do is get rid of whatever poo stirrer in that lockeroom who can't take coaching. It's got to be Vernon Davis or Frank Gore or somebody from that crowd.

Anyway I came here to say that if Case Keenum doesn't get 1 more legitimate shot, it will be as big of a travesty as Doug Flutie and Tommy Maddox.

Mike was a good coach (I said good...not Vince Lombardi) just like Jim is. What SF needs to do is get rid of whatever poo stirrer in that lockeroom who can't take coaching. It's got to be Vernon Davis or Frank Gore or somebody from that crowd.

Anyway I came here to say that if Case Keenum doesn't get 1 more legitimate shot, it will be as big of a travesty as Doug Flutie and Tommy Maddox.

Why would he get another shot? He's horrible.

Brady had a sophomore slump, really?

2001 - 18 Tds to 12 INTs, 2,843 yards

2002 - 28 TDs, 14 INTs, 3,764 yards

Aaron Rodgers esque selective stats.

He also had a 4 game losing streak at the beginning, no playoffs and an 85 passer rating.

I think you are the one being selective.

His QBR in 2001 was 86.

His defense went from being ranked 6th in points to 17th on 2002, they had the slump. And even with the 4 game losing streak he finished with 9 wins and tied for the division. They lost the division on tiebreakers. Again, nothing to indicate he had a slump at all. There is no debate.

Sophomore slump doesn't necessarily mean SB to 0-16. Sophomore slump usually means a period of struggles after an overachieving first season. Favre, Montana, etc all went through it and yes even golden boy Brady.

Where was Brady's struggle exactly? His stats were significantly better than the previous year and his team finished tied for the division. He was a better QB in 2002. His team was worse, more specifically his defense which is why Bill brought in Rodney Harrison the following season.

These Brady homers just block out anything they don't want to hea

lol. Yeah all those stats I provided comparing 2001 to 2002 and actually showing that he improved vs regressed mean nothing and is just me blocking my ears. lol. All you got is a 4 game losing streak while also ignoring that he had TWO three game win streaks as well. But hey, whatever strawman you need to try to convince folks that Keenum is a good player. You should really take a queue that not one Texan fan is supporting your claim.

That 4 game losing streak was the slump. It happened, and all it means is that it wasn't a slump. It doesn't mean that Tom Brady is the worst quarterback ever like homers think that any Brady ctitisism implies, just like giving Case another chance doesn't give him a shrine in Canton.

That 4 game losing streak was the slump. It happened, and all it means is that it wasn't a slump. It doesn't mean that Tom Brady is the worst quarterback ever like homers think that any Brady ctitisism implies, just like giving Case another chance doesn't give him a shrine in Canton.

He couldn't beat out Austin Davis in St Louis

Is that what your comparison has been? Brady!!???

Brady was 14-3 in his first season as a starter which included a SB win. How many games did Keenum win last year?

Those losses had nothing to do with the Patriots' 31st ranked rush defense?

I remember that season; the d-line was formed of turnstiles. Horrific.