Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unpopular Opinion thread

Dustin

Yes, we'll put safeties and backers out there on him from time to time, but I don't think Gronk is uncoverable by corners. I've rewatched a couple of Pats games this week, and plenty of corners get Gronk in primary coverage and hold him in check. Kyle Wilson, Tim Jennings, Leodis McKelvin, etc. all have done just fine against him. It's only really an issue on the goal line. 

The Pats want teams to move linebackers and bad cover safeties out there with him. He's generally ignored when a corner is on him.

I think the key to covering Gronk if your a Corner or Safety is NOT playing Gronk, That's just a bad matchup for most physically, I think the key is playing the ball or bracketing him late in the play

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the key to covering Gronk if your a Corner or Safety is NOT playing Gronk, That's just a bad matchup for most physically, I think the key is playing the ball or bracketing him late in the play

Yeah. That is the key. You can't play him one on one tight as he will roll over you. If you play him in space that Brady will just throw it up to him and he will go get it given his size and ability to use his body for positioning.

Yes, we'll put safeties and backers out there on him from time to time, but I don't think Gronk is uncoverable by corners. I've rewatched a couple of Pats games this week, and plenty of corners get Gronk in primary coverage and hold him in check. Kyle Wilson, Tim Jennings, Leodis McKelvin, etc. all have done just fine against him. It's only really an issue on the goal line. 

The Pats want teams to move linebackers and bad cover safeties out there with him. He's generally ignored when a corner is on him.

Goal line for sure and seam routes which is the weakness is on the Colts. Up the middle. He could have his best game of the season vs those players and being inside.

Honestly dude, still not getting you here. Who is blocking anything out? What, exactly, are you trying to get across? Does the team's performance without Brady somehow downgrade him in your mind? If so, great. That's your opinion and that's up to you.

The Patriots went 11-5 in 2008 without Brady, yes. Is that your entire point/argument?Just because they didn't fold up like a cheap tent when their Hall of Fame QB went down (like some other teams out there, cough-cough), Brady is somehow just an interchangeable piece of the puzzle?

There were several factors in 2008 (still had a decent D, soft schedule, and Cassel played quite well actually) that made the Patriots 11-5 without Brady.

If your opinion at this stage of his career is that he's a run-of-the-mill QB, I probably can't help you. Because that's blatantly un-objective, hater-fueled nonsense.

Yea its a head scratcher that people use 2008 as some sort of knock on Brady.

Cassel took a nearly perfect team the year before that won 18 games and he won 11 with them.. 7 less games is a significant drop off..

Then you look at their schedule in 2008, it was the 3rd easiest in NFL history. They only played 5 teams with a winning record.. and they lost ALL 5.

So Cassel was able to take a superior Super Bowl caliber team and beat up on weaker opponents, but every good team he faced, they lost.

Most NE fans I know appreciate what Cassel did, he certainly made it an exciting year but make no mistake about it, Brady would have won a lot more games and possibly finished what they nearly accomplished in 2007 with that team and schedule.

If Allen was targeted more, he would lead tight ends in TD's and yards and it wouldn't be close.

He needs to get open more and then his targets would go up.

This kind of reminds me of Dallas Clark.. Colts fans on this board constantly praised him and considered him to be the best TE in football.. that is until he moved on and there was a Manning argument going on, then they would downplay Clark's contributions and act like he was some JAG.

Are you suggesting Allen is the best TE in football, and its not even close?

He needs to get open more and then his targets would go up.

This kind of reminds me of Dallas Clark.. Colts fans on this board constantly praised him and considered him to be the best TE in football.. that is until he moved on and there was a Manning argument going on, then they would downplay Clark's contributions and act like he was some JAG.

Are you suggesting Allen is the best TE in football, and its not even close?

Though I don't have the stats to back it up, he seems to be open a lot more than he is targeted. He has great catch and run ability, strong in traffic and is probably one of, if not the best blocking tight end in the league.

That said, this is called the unpopular opinion thread. I was providing an opinion which would prove unpopular ;)

Though I don't have the stats to back it up, he seems to be open a lot more than he is targeted. He has great catch and run ability, strong in traffic and is probably one of, if not the best blocking tight end in the league.

That said, this is called the unpopular opinion thread. I was providing an opinion which would prove unpopular ;)

Fair enough, he's a good TE no doubt about that!

Cassel took a nearly perfect team the year before that won 18 games and he won 11 with them.. 7 less games is a significant drop off..

Then you look at their schedule in 2008, it was the 3rd easiest in NFL history. They only played 5 teams with a winning record.. and they lost ALL 5.

So Cassel was able to take a superior Super Bowl caliber team and beat up on weaker opponents, but every good team he faced, they lost.

Most NE fans I know appreciate what Cassel did, he certainly made it an exciting year but make no mistake about it, Brady would have won a lot more games and possibly finished what they nearly accomplished in 2007 with that team and schedule.

Colts fans use that season as a knock on Brady and patriots fans use it to prop up Belichick.

Tom Brady took that same team to a 10-6 record in 09

The team wasn't nearly the same in 2009, they lost a lot of veteran players from the defensive side of the ball. . Oh yea and Brady was coming back from reconstructive knee surgery and missing am entire year of football... then in 2010 he blows the doors off the league with a new two tight end offense that everyone is trying to emulate now and got the first ever unanimous MVP award.

Nice try though

I don't know why I suddenly can't quote posts, but tell me 1 other team that was dominating and tearing defenses apart using a two tight end attack offense like the Patriots were? After that season, teams started going after additional TE talent in the draft, not as depth but to create a two pronged TE attack