Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Percy Harvin Traded To The Jets

Blackhawk4

Cap penalty of $6.2m this year, $7.2m next year. That's already spent money. Cap savings of $7.1m this year, $5.7m next year. Dead money is pretty much a wash. Significant cash savings, and significant future cap savings, for a player that's not making a difference for them so far. The Jets take him with no guarantees due, no bonus money or potential cap penalties, and only give up a mid round pick in the future.

I definitely think the Jets come out ahead, but the cap situation for moving Harvin isn't a big deal. It's certainly not prohibitive. 

Thanks for the great breakdown on the financials of the deal..

Definitely a great move by the Jets.. if he doesn't pan out the way they envisioned, they can just cut him with no dead cap penalties and they only have to give up a conditional mid round pick..

Dang Jets!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird. He didn't seem to have a problem learning the playbook last season (especially given his performance in the playoffs). Wonder what happened.

Including the playoffs, he got 68 plays in three games last year, including playoffs. He only got 29 snaps in the Super Bowl. If he was having trouble with the playbook, that's not enough time for it to really be a problem, or even for anyone to know. 

Quick trawl of Seattle forums suggest the coaching staff were frustrated by him not knowing the playbook (which they tinkered for him specifically). He's been taken out for 3rd downs this season because they can't trust him to execute,

Still....wow.

The last time I tried to check their forum I nearly got sick because of the color scheme and setup

Cap penalty of $6.2m this year, $7.2m next year. That's already spent money. Cap savings of $7.1m this year, $5.7m next year. Dead money is pretty much a wash. Significant cash savings, and significant future cap savings, for a player that's not making a difference for them so far. The Jets take him with no guarantees due, no bonus money or potential cap penalties, and only give up a mid round pick in the future.

I definitely think the Jets come out ahead, but the cap situation for moving Harvin isn't a big deal. It's certainly not prohibitive. 

They gave up three picks for him though, a 1, 3 and 7. They will only get back a 3 at best. That is brutal.

They gave up three picks for him though, a 1, 3 and 7. They will only get back a 3 at best. That is brutal.

Absolutely. Bad deal to begin with, and they're getting hosed in this deal, IMO. I'm not a big Harvin fan, but I would think a conditional 3rd/4th is on the low end for him. Deadline deal, sort of, so you're always going to get a lower return for a damaged goods kind of player. But they lost coming and going. At least they save a bunch of money, and at least get back at pick.

Absolutely. Bad deal to begin with, and they're getting hosed in this deal, IMO. I'm not a big Harvin fan, but I would think a conditional 3rd/4th is on the low end for him. Deadline deal, sort of, so you're always going to get a lower return for a damaged goods kind of player. But they lost coming and going. At least they save a bunch of money, and at least get back at pick.

I think we may start to get our answer on how Carroll is able to handle adversity. NFL Network is saying the Seattle locker room is in shock.

Could have drafted Cordarelle Patterson in the first, like Minnesota did. Really bad trade. I said last year that it was worse than the Richardson trade, and I still believe that.

Looking at the contract and Seattle I think is figuring the guaranteed money is the guaranteed money and that is gone. Like you said earlier , looks to be around 8 mill hit going forward. Thing is he has 10 mill $ salaries for the next 4 years. He at this point looks to be a player not even close to being worth those contract numbers going forward . So it's arguable that they should just cut him next year anyway. By trading him this year , they do get a return of some sort. 

Trying to figure out the winner here is pretty tough. Jets really don't risk a lot as they can dump him and it only cost a mid round pick , but taking on that salary for that production... ehhhh. I guess the way to analyze this one was the real winners were Harvin and Minnesota.

Mid rounder. Guessing a 4th that could become a 3rd. Shouldn't have given him a huge contract if you 1. Didn't want to use him properly and 2. Didn't want to pay him that much. Duh.

ESPN reporting it's a 4 that could go as high as a 2....    it doesn't say what the conditions to be met would be....

But typically,  it's number of snaps or percentage of snaps played.....

Guess Seattle decided to cut their losses in every imaginable way......

Ehhh, he is not a polished receiver which is more of what Geno needs. He will be a nice weapon but not sure how effective in the Jets O.

WR screens, quick slants, etc. that's how Minn used him. He's more of an offensive weapon than receiver.

Looking at the contract and Seattle I think is figuring the guaranteed money is the guaranteed money and that is gone. Like you said earlier , looks to be around 8 mill hit going forward. Thing is he has 10 mill $ salaries for the next 4 years. He at this point looks to be a player not even close to being worth those contract numbers going forward . So it's arguable that they should just cut him next year anyway. By trading him this year , they do get a return of some sort. 

Trying to figure out the winner here is pretty tough. Jets really don't risk a lot as they can dump him and it only cost a mid round pick , but taking on that salary for that production... ehhhh. I guess the way to analyze this one was the real winners were Harvin and Minnesota.

Yup, money spent is money spent. That's all dead money / cap penalties represent. No sense in being upset about it, you would have that dead money whether you kept the player or not, it would just be allocated differently. 

In this case, the Seahawks releasing Harvin after the year comes with no potential return, aside from his production this season. Trading him for a pick is definitely the better alternative. However, this reminds me of the A's trading their best player in the middle of a good season. Messed up their offense for months. At least they got back an ace pitcher for a few months, though. The Seahawks just get a mid round pick.

And yeah, Harvin is okay, either way. Paid in the shade. And the Vikings got a gaggle of picks for a player they knew they weren't going to pay.

Harvin will be a much more electric slot receiver than Jeremy Kerly will ever be.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/0ap3000000392375/NFL-Now-Percy-Harvin-commands-the-jet-sweep

Potential for big plays, without having to rely on Geno Smith to make them.

If used correctly, Harvin is very effective. He gives the QB a lot of cheap plays.....ask Christian ponder.

I agree but this is like a last place MLB team trading for an Ace or Slugger at the trade deadline

The player is still great but the team stays in last place

Ehhh, he is not a polished receiver which is more of what Geno needs. He will be a nice weapon but not sure how effective in the Jets O.

Geno needs a lot of things. I don't know how good a polished receiver would be for him, because you still need Geno to get him the ball. You run a sweep to Harvin, all Geno has to do is hand it off. Screen pass, all he has to do is throw a high percentage pass (although he got one pick-sixed in their opener). I could argue that a weapon like Harvin is very valuable for an offense with a limited young QB. And even if you give it to Vick at some point, that combination of speed and big play potential would be scary.

Doesn't matter if Harvin can't grasp a pro playbook, though. Lots of questions arise from this move...

Percy Harvin will be forever plagued by OCs that have no idea how to use him. Now he gets to play for Marty Mornhinweng uggghhhhh

Daryl Bevel is pretty innovative imo. I thought they used him perfect in the superbowl and early this season. I don't understand the trade