Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 10/14 "Twosday Twofer"

sb41champs

:blueshoe:   ENJOY TWODAY'S "TWOSDAY TWOFER":

:blueshoe:   1.  Recently the Denver Broncos released Pro Bowl K Matt Prater and his salary - and - chose to stick with K Brandon McManus.  Do you think the Colts might do the same with S Laron Landry ??

:blueshoe:   2.  Has your opinion changed of RB Trent Richardson over the first 6 weeks of the 2014 season ??  Why ??

:blueshoe:   ENJOY TWODAY'S "TWOSDAY TWOFER":

:blueshoe:   1.  Recently the Denver Broncos released Pro Bowl K Matt Prater and his salary - and - chose to stick with K Brandon McManus.  Do you think the Colts might do the same with S Laron Landry ??

:blueshoe:   2.  Has your opinion changed of RB Trent Richardson over the first 6 weeks of the 2014 season ??  Why ??

1. No

2. I'm glad to see that he's playing better but he's not yet played to the level worthy of a first round pick.  

So trent leading the team in yards is forfeiting?

a) He's not leading the team in yards. He's 4th behind TY, Reggie, and Bradshaw. 

b) Yes handing the ball to a RB who's consistently getting 3 yards a carry is basically forfeiting a down. Especially when you have a better RB on the roster. 

We are contenders as things look now so you can`t lose Landry as depth.
 I am no fan of his play and he just isn`t a Colt to me.

We are positioned to take the Cap hit i believe, so a trade might work. Or taking the Cap hit on Gosder.

TRich sucks as a runner but i do Love his pass blocking.
 Benching Thornton and replacing Cherilus with Nixon when he is healthy is worth a shot.
 And Please may Holmes get healthy and get his shot.

1. Hopefully

2. Nope. Handing him the ball is basically still forfeiting a down .

Then why does TRich lead the Colts in all purpose yardage? I think your just not seeing the improvement he has shown. Up till this last week TRich was the 2nd in yardage. Right now TY-604, Bradshaw-460, TRich-413 and Reggie-419. TRich is tied with Luck with 2 rushing TDs. Colts only have 4 rushing TDs. Bradshaw has 5 TDs receiving while Allen has 4, Fleener has 3, Nicks has 2 and TY, Reggie and Doyle all have 1 apiece. So if you look at the numbers TRich is not as bad as you think he is.

Because he had 24 more touches than the next guy.

Youre one of the "Stat Guys" aren't you?  Go find out how many yards lost from negative plays & tackles for loss (in the backfield) Trent has had.  Do it for Bradshaw also... I'm very curious!!  It will help people see Trent does well when he has blockers, and the true reason behind his low YPC.  Bradshaw has had his fair share of bad blocking also.  I'm not claiming Trent is better than Bradshaw, or vice versa.  I was one to say give Trent more time and he will prove you wrong.  He is definitely playing better, but still not where I thought he would be, but I will always have an arguement until the line can run block as well as they are pass blocking this season!

I definitely agree that Bradshaw would have more yards than Trent if he had as many touches.  I think the reason why Bradshaw does put up better numbers is because he is much quicker and can hit the small hole faster before it closes, and gets to the LOS quicker so there is not as much of a loss if he is hit in the backfield. 

:blueshoe:   1.  No - we need the depth.  However - I'm not so sure he'll be on our roster once the new league year starts in March 2015.

:blueshoe:   2.  I think Richardson is playing better than he did last year when his head HAD to be swimming with his third offensive system in as many years.  I am hopeful that with our STARTING o-line in front of him - and - as the season progresses he'll continue to improve.  IF he does NOT improve by seasons end - I agree with the respondent who indicated he was a waste of a 1st round draft choice.

Youre one of the "Stat Guys" aren't you? Go find out how many yards lost from negative plays & tackles for loss (in the backfield) Trent has had. Do it for Bradshaw also... I'm very curious!! It will help people see Trent does well when he has blockers, and the true reason behind his low YPC. Bradshaw has had his fair share of bad blocking also. I'm not claiming Trent is better than Bradshaw, or vice versa. I was one to say give Trent more time and he will prove you wrong. He is definitely playing better, but still not where I thought he would be, but I will always have an arguement until the line can run block as well as they are pass blocking this season!

I definitely agree that Bradshaw would have more yards than Trent if he had as many touches. I think the reason why Bradshaw does put up better numbers is because he is much quicker and can hit the small hole faster before it closes, and gets to the LOS quicker so there is not as much of a loss if he is hit in the backfield.

Every RB does good when he has good blocking.

There are players who are playing much better in worse situations.

Btw, Bradshaw has more yards on less touches.

Every RB does good when he has good blocking.

There are players who are playing much better in worse situations.

Btw, Bradshaw has more yards on less touches.

Yes, every running back does well when there is nobody there to tackle them!  Conversely, most people will do poorly when 1 or 2 defenders hit you in the backfield as you're just getting the handoff.  I realize they're running behind the same line, but do you understand how many touches Trent gets when everybody in the stadium knows it's going straight up the middle? 3rd downs and goal line situations, Trent is the go2 guy if they're running!  Our O Line is protecting Luck, but the run block isn't where it should be. 

Trent

Year Team G Rush Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Lost Yds TD Yds TD 2014 IND 6 87 281 46.8 3.2 0 2 15 132 22.0 8.8 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

Ahmad

Year Team G Rush Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Lost Yds TD Yds TD 2014 IND 6 60 284 47.3 4.7 0 0 21 176 29.3 8.4 0 5 1 0 0 0

Yes it is plain as day Ahmad is doing better on the stat sheet!!  My point was how many times has Trent and Ahmad been stuffed in the backfield and how many total yards have they lost resulting in poor blocking.  That doesn't show up on the stat sheet!!  I don't know how many times but I can guarantee you Trent has more.  I watch every game and every play, but obviously I don't keep track of all that.  I know some of Trent's poor avg is partially because he still hesitates and goes E2W whereas Bradshaw hits the hole and going N.   Im not trying to make excuses for him, but given his circumstances, he isn't playing that bad.  I do think he could be doing better, but if you remove those negative play yards from each others carries, I think you would see T Rich is doing pretty well, and Bradshaw is doing great! 

Who is playing better in a worse situation?  I'm very curious, because as the old saying goes, a RB is only as good as their offensive line!!

I only have one more point to make, so theoretically(for all the anti-Trent stat guys), if Trent takes the first snap Sunday and goes 80 yards to the house, he is playing alot better than Bradshaw, because his average says so, correct?  1 rush that skews stats can change an entire perception of a player, right?

Yes, every running back does well when there is nobody there to tackle them!  Conversely, most people will do poorly when 1 or 2 defenders hit you in the backfield as you're just getting the handoff.  I realize they're running behind the same line, but do you understand how many touches Trent gets when everybody in the stadium knows it's going straight up the middle? 3rd downs and goal line situations, Trent is the go2 guy if they're running!  Our O Line is protecting Luck, but the run block isn't where it should be. 

Trent

Year Team G Rush Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Lost Yds TD Yds TD 2014 IND 6 87 281 46.8 3.2 0 2 15 132 22.0 8.8 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

Ahmad

Year Team G Rush Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Lost Yds TD Yds TD 2014 IND 6 60 284 47.3 4.7 0 0 21 176 29.3 8.4 0 5 1 0 0 0

Yes it is plain as day Ahmad is doing better on the stat sheet!!  My point was how many times has Trent and Ahmad been stuffed in the backfield and how many total yards have they lost resulting in poor blocking.  That doesn't show up on the stat sheet!!  I don't know how many times but I can guarantee you Trent has more.  I watch every game and every play, but obviously I don't keep track of all that.  I know some of Trent's poor avg is partially because he still hesitates and goes E2W whereas Bradshaw hits the hole and going N.   Im not trying to make excuses for him, but given his circumstances, he isn't playing that bad.  I do think he could be doing better, but if you remove those negative play yards from each others carries, I think you would see T Rich is doing pretty well, and Bradshaw is doing great! 

Who is playing better in a worse situation?  I'm very curious, because as the old saying goes, a RB is only as good as their offensive line!!

I only have one more point to make, so theoretically(for all the anti-Trent stat guys), if Trent takes the first snap Sunday and goes 80 yards to the house, he is playing alot better than Bradshaw, because his average says so, correct?  1 rush that skews stats can change an entire perception of a player, right?

The text box in not in original format after I clicked post... Guess it isn't plain as day lol  well at least for the people who don't just look up stats and base their opinion off that!

This isn't true whatsoever. Trent is getting tons of sweeps and counters. There not running out of jumbo sets, a ton of his carries are from shotgun or in the pistol. He's not producing in any formation. And he doesn't get hit in the backfield every play. This is just ridiculous hyperbole. If he's getting hit in the backfield it's because he takes forever to get up to the LOS.

As for the "3rd down and goalline situations"

Trent doesn't have a single 3rd down carry this year. And only 11 "goal-line carries". 

I do think he could be doing better, but if you remove those negative play yards from each others carries, I think you would see T Rich is doing pretty well, and Bradshaw is doing great! 

An d he would still be near the bottom of the NFL if I also removed all the negative plays from every other RB in the NFL.

Jamaal Charles, Kniles Davis, Chris Ivory, Brandon Oliver, Steven Jackson, Jerrick McKinnon, Alfred Morris, Lamaar Miller, Leveon Bell, ect...

No, because he would still have a lower YPC, yards after contact, EPA, WPA, elusive rating, catch rate, succes rate, and DVOA. 

This isn't true whatsoever. Trent is getting tons of sweeps and counters. There not running out of jumbo sets, a ton of his carries are from shotgun or in the pistol. He's not producing in any formation. And he doesn't get hit in the backfield every play. This is just ridiculous hyperbole. If he's getting hit in the backfield it's because he takes forever to get up to the LOS.

As for the "3rd down and goalline situations"

Trent doesn't have a single 3rd down carry this year. And only 11 "goal-line carries". 

I was mainly talking about the first 2 games about the runs up the middle.  However, I didn't know he didn't have any 3rd and short carries it seemed like he did maybe it is 2nd n long, but it is predictable play calling that I was concerned about.  Pep gets Bradshaw a variety of different looks that Richardson doesn't (mainly because Bradshaw is faster and more effective in those types of plays).  The majority of goal line carries he does have he is fighting for his life to get to the LOS.  The shotgun runs he could definitely go w/o because he isn't the best in those situations either.  No he doesn't get hit in the backfield every play, that would be ridiculous.  It happens often though.  I do agree with him taking forever to hit the hole, but I believe some of the times he is trying to be too patient and is waiting for something to open, which we all know isn't going to happen.

An d he would still be near the bottom of the NFL if I also removed all the negative plays from every other RB in the NFL.

I don't think so... But if you can provide me with the stats I will believe you!

Jamaal Charles, Kniles Davis, Chris Ivory, Brandon Oliver, Steven Jackson, Jerrick McKinnon, Alfred Morris, Lamaar Miller, Leveon Bell, ect...

I wouldn't say they are any worse situation by any means, but who am I to say!

No, because he would still have a lower YPC, yards after contact, EPA, WPA, elusive rating, catch rate, succes rate, and DVOA. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Just take a glance at these stats.  Im not saying it explains it all but you can understand my POV alittle bit better with the attempts (type of runs Trent gets).  Look at the Power/Rank and Stuffed/Rank.  Look at where our run blocking ranks in general, especially in comparison to our pass blocking.  Like I said before I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy, but I do analyze different things!