Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

mewhort back at practice today

CR91

I was thinking thornton was our best pulling guard

He has had some great pulls, And is not good enough at man on man blocking OR pass blocking to be starting at this time. Lance Louis is clearly better.

Those pulls don`t mean much when AC nor Mewhort are also not doing much with their man blocking.

Our success to their side has not been very good most of the time unless we get great blocking from Allen And Doyle on the play.

It is like our ypc means nothing to so many of you. Speaks Volumes!

you think reitz is better then mewhort or thornton?

Reitz is certainly a better pass blocker than Mewhort and as good or better a run blocker.

Not a RG so it doesn`t matter how he compares to Thornton.

LL is definitely better than Thornton who struggles getting ANY push in the run game and consistently gives up pressure in pass protection.

Reitz is certainly a better pass blocker than Mewhort and as good or better a run blocker.

Not a RG so it doesn`t matter how he compares to Thornton.

LL is definitely better than Thornton who struggles getting ANY push in the run game and consistently gives up pressure in pass protection.

I think its premature to say reitz is better then mewhort. 

Hopefully they leave Reitz as the other starter.

Reitz is way too valuable as a back-up, if you know what I mean....

What he was able to do as a plug and play resource against Houston is ideal, but I hope we are past the point where we are building around him as a starter.  Reitz is very talented, but when you have Thornton and Mewhort for the long haul, you let Glass Joe play his limited snaps on an as needed basis.

Anytime one of our players with an injury can practice and maybe get in the game it is a good thing. I also think the line held up better than most thought this last game and a big salute to those linemen.

You think it held up well? Watt had one of the greatest days in NFL history by a defensive lineman. What do you think would have happened if Clowney had been healthy enough to play? I thought the offensive line played very poorly.

You think it held up well? Watt had one of the greatest days in NFL history by a defensive lineman. What do you think would have happened if Clowney had been healthy enough to play? I thought the offensive line played very poorly.

The Colts put up 33 points so I think the offensive line play real well with two starters out. Would you mind explaining that if the O-Line played so bad. Watt did have a great game but putting it in the one of the greatest games ever played is going a little overboard. If it was so great then why did the Colts win?

He has had some great pulls, And is not good enough at man on man blocking OR pass blocking to be starting at this time. Lance Louis is clearly better.

Those pulls don`t mean much when AC nor Mewhort are also not doing much with their man blocking.

Our success to their side has not been very good most of the time unless we get great blocking from Allen And Doyle on the play.

It is like our ypc means nothing to so many of you. Speaks Volumes!

i have read a lot of your posts

Not once have I thought it was good

The Colts put up 33 points so I think the offensive line play real well with two starters out. Would you mind explaining that if the O-Line played so bad. Watt did have a great game but putting it in the one of the greatest games ever played is going a little overboard. If it was so great then why did the Colts win?

He didn't watch the first quarter....at all.

Watt had a good game, but he wasn't as dominant as the media wants us to believe.  He didn't cause the fumble that he returned for a TD.  He was mostly game planned as far as a pass rusher.  And the play where he "ran down" Andrew wasn't exactly outstanding.  He barely got a finger on Luck's foot, even though it was enough to trip him up.

Where was he when Andrew had time to scan the field and wait for TY to get open?

Yes, he's a great player that has to be accounted for on every play.  And for the most part, he was.

Watt had a good game, but he wasn't as dominant as the media wants us to believe.  He didn't cause the fumble that he returned for a TD.  He was mostly game planned as far as a pass rusher.  And the play where he "ran down" Andrew wasn't exactly outstanding.  He barely got a finger on Luck's foot, even though it was enough to trip him up.

Where was he when Andrew had time to scan the field and wait for TY to get open?

Yes, he's a great player that has to be accounted for on every play.  And for the most part, he was.

True, but lets not down play that fumble recovery TD. Nor that shoestring tackle on Luck. Theres like 2-3 guys in the NFL that could make that tackle on Luck. Plus he had a couple of key knockdowns and blew up a few runs in the backfield. He had a good game. But as you said was blocked up and game planed for well and apart from those few hustle/freakish plays he didnt do much else.

Dude the guy is a 3-4 defensive end and ran down Luck who is one of the faster QB's in the league.  How many 3-4 defensive ends do you think could do that?

That shoe string tackle wasn't impressive because of it's effect on the game (it had very little overall effect) but as a display of Watt's athletic abilities it is outstanding.

I wouldn't say one of the best ever, but definitely one of the best of the year.

2 sacks, 2 hits, 2 hurries, 3 batted passes, 6 run stops and a TD. Crazy good player.

I wouldn't say one of the best ever, but definitely one of the best of the year.

2 sacks, 2 hits, 2 hurries, 3 batted passes, 6 run stops and a TD. Crazy good player.

I totally agree that Watt is a fantastic player. He might become one of the best ever but he will have to make the players around him better before he can be considered that. My comment was in response to another member saying he thought our o-line played poor. IMO I think they did great considering they were missing two starters.

True, but lets not down play that fumble recovery TD. Nor that shoestring tackle on Luck. Theres like 2-3 guys in the NFL that could make that tackle on Luck. Plus he had a couple of key knockdowns and blew up a few runs in the backfield. He had a good game. But as you said was blocked up and game planed for well and apart from those few hustle/freakish plays he didnt do much else.

I'm not arguing that he's not a great player.  I wouldn't even argue with anyone who says that he's the BEST defensive player in the NFL.

What I'm saying that he's over hyped for what he does as far as winning games.  And in particular, our game.  How many games did he change last year?  What's their record this year?

Point being that in today's NFL, having a great defensive player is nowhere near as important as having great offensive players.  Yet the media talks about him like he's single handedly winning games. 

I'll keep saying it, you don't need a great defense now days.  A good one will do just fine as long as you have a great offense.

Watt is a great player and one of my favorites but the other sack he got on Luck was debatable. He got a hand on Luck which did nothing to Luck except make him move up in the pocket. Then Luck tripped on his own offensive lineman and fell. Since Watt was the last to touch him less than a minute before he fell he got credited with the sack.

Normally that wouldn't bother me but the announcers went nuts like he had just chased down Luck and made a miraculous play...

"Watt had one of the greatest days in NFL history by a defensive lineman"

That game was just another day at the office for Watt. His game vs Buffalo this year was even much better. He, alone, hit Manuel 9 times in that game.