Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucky Brooks And Fellow Nfl.com Analysts Are Sold On Luck

Too early to be sold? He's at the end of his junior year and is entering the draft; if you aren't sold yet, you will never be.

Yeah you probably right, This kid could be the next best thing to ever step on the field, but then again he could be a bust like Leaf, Russel, and kind of like Bradford(which it seems a bit to early to call him a bust. But he certainly doesnt look like he should be worth a first rd pick).

So Im not sold on this kid yet, and he has he even confirmed he is coming out of college to the NFL yet?

More from Bucky Brooks at NFL.com ( http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824a4d81/article/bengals-dalton-closes-gap-in-rookie-award-race-as-wins-pile-up ) ...

Tough love? Tough Luck

I've heard the nitpicking on Andrew Luck, so I made some calls this week to see what the folks paid to evaluate college players think. And what's come back is the same kind of unanimous result that you've gotten when asking about Luck all along. As one NFC personnel executive put it, "I'd bet they're just bored of hearing how great he is."

Another NFC personnel executive said that in the past two decades, "He's one of five guys that I've done where I can say, 'Yes, no doubt about it, he's gonna be darn good.' "

The first executive took it a step further, saying, "With Luck, I'd bet my life on it. With (Matt) Barkley and (Landry) Jones, you'd like to give them more time. They need to be phased in. With Luck, you give him the keys to the franchise Day 1, and he'll be fine."

Strong words? Yup. But if you want hard facts, those are readily available. He took a previously middling Stanford program to a 23-2 mark the past two years (the Cardinal scored 30 and 31 points in the losses), and in those 25 games, he's gone 524 of 745 (70.3 percent) for 6,508 yards, 67 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.

Brooks: Luck's the total package

bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpgNFL.com draft expert Bucky Brooks was in Palo Alto last weekend to gets a first-hand look at Stanford QB Andrew Luck. More ...

There's little question about the mental part. As another evaluator told me, "Is he

Tom Brady? Is he Peyton Manning? From an instinctive and cerebral standpoint, he's in that category." That has allowed him to lift the talent around him, against more talented Pac-12 teams at Oregon and USC, to compete.

"He's going to be a franchise quarterback, without a doubt, and a big part of it is that he's an anticipatory quarterback," said the first NFC exec. "His skill guys are worse than the skill guys on the other side in a lot of cases, so he needs to know what the defense is going to do, and be able to go there quick. He needs to throw guys open and he does. And when it breaks down, he's a big, strong kid who can be one of the Top 5-7 running quarterbacks in the NFL right away."

That brings us to Luck's arm strength, which has been scrutinized. You hear on both Luck and Barkley that accuracy further downfield can be a concern, particularly with Barkley, whose ball flutters a bit. But both those guys can make up for it, again, with their heads. Both are considered special in that regard, and Luck's physical attributes put him over the top.

"It's strong enough," the second NFC exec said. "It's as strong as Peyton's was. It's not Carson Palmer coming out of USC, but it won't be an issue with the way he anticipates things. It's plenty strong. Look, it's a risk to take anyone high. But it's more of a risk to value the athlete over the person. Happens all the time -- guy can run fast, jump high, but he's a (expletive)-head. This guy is A-plus all the way across. The only thing that's going to stop him is injury."

The nitpicking will, of course, only ramp up. Just remember that things have been pretty unanimous on this kid all along. He's

Matt Ryan from the jump and could be Peyton Manning. Whichever team drafts him -- whether it's the Colts with the first pick or a team dealing up ("It'll have to be outrageous, a Herschel Walker trade," said the second executive) -- will have very little doubt in what they're getting.

Look I like Luck. But if Mannning is healthy, we have to at least consider the possiblity of a trade, just like we consider the possibility of drafting him (and all the rammifications that would be with it). but a herschel walker trade sounds darn appealing

Look I like Luck. But if Mannning is healthy, we have to at least consider the possiblity of a trade, just like we consider the possibility of drafting him (and all the rammifications that would be with it). but a herschel walker trade sounds darn appealing

Agreed. A healthy Manning to me means 3 to 4 more years as a top notch starter. I can't see Luck sitting for 3 to 4 years. If Manning has less than 3 years left, take Luck. However, if Manning can still be THE guy for three or four more years, then definitely take the windfall trade ... hopefully a trade that can bring in two effective veteran starters and two to three premium draft choices. Perfect world, a top notch CB and either a very good OG or DT ... and two 1st round draft choices and at least an additional 2nd rounder.

Agreed. A healthy Manning to me means 3 to 4 more years as a top notch starter. I can't see Luck sitting for 3 to 4 years. If Manning has less than 3 years left, take Luck. However, if Manning can still be THE guy for three or four more years, then definitely take the windfall trade ... hopefully a trade that can bring in two effective veteran starters and two to three premium draft choices. Perfect world, a top notch CB and either a very good OG or DT ... and two 1st round draft choices and at least an additional 2nd rounder.

+1 rocky.....and I agree 100% that any trade of the #1 pick has to bring in a premier player at DT, CB or OG in addition to two 1st rounders and one 2nd rounder if we get two veteran players.....or two 2nd rounders if we get one veteran.

But only getting draft picks as compensation is not enough considering the holes we have....and the less certain amount of time Peyton may have to play. I'd love to think his neck is cleared up and nerves healed 100% and be sure he's good for 3-4 years.

I just don't know how we can predict that.....so getting one or two young starters IMO is alot safer to me than just draft prospects, who are every bit as risky as Luck....and probably more so.

It's not impossible that rookie quarterbacks can have a good season. One of this year's best rookie quarterbacks is Andy Dalton of the Bengals. I wanted to review his scouting report when he was in college to see how he was projected. Here is his scouting report:

ANDY DALTON

Accuracy

Dalton’s strength as a passer is his accuracy. He consistently places the ball in an area that only his receiver can make the catch and does a great job leading the receiver and giving him room to run after the catch. During his pro day workout Dalton showed excellent accuracy to every area of the field. There are questions about his deep accuracy, largely related to arm strength. He will get a little high throwing outside but this can be corrected with better timing coming out under center. Dalton has NFL-ready accuracy.

Arm strength

There are questions about his ability to push the ball up-field. He threw passes of 60 yards in the air during pro day, but this was in shorts and without wind. Dalton will not be a big-arm quarterback in a vertical system. He has the arm strength to throw go routes and out patterns but relies more on timing to make his throws. The ball will float down the seam too often. Dalton has the strength to throw with zip and get the ball between defenders. As a West Coast Offense passer, he would excel due to his ability to fit the ball in tight spaces on short and intermediate routes. Despite not having the strongest arm, he does show nice touch on deep balls.

Athleticism/mobility

Dalton performed very well as a runner during his TCU career. He has experience running a zone option and also as a shotgun passer who was given the green light to run if needed. Against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, the Horned Frogs featured Dalton’s rushing ability to throw off the aggressive Badgers defensive line. Dalton totaled 1,611 rushing yards and 22 scores on the ground in his four years as a starter. He has shown the ability to make throws moving left and right out of the pocket.

I see a lot of similarities with Dalton and Luck. They both played on good top ranked teams with solid defenses. They are both very accurate, both are mobile, and have a great understanding of the game. If all of these attributes translate well in the NFL for Dalton, why woudn't they transalte well for Luck?

One thing to consider if Manning comes back healthy and we don't take a QB: I fully expect us to become a winning team again with Manning running the huddle. If that's the case we may not be in position to draft a top prospect again before Manning retires. It does make sense to draft a QB, though I'd prefer we didn't do it with the #1 overall pick.

It's not impossible that rookie quarterbacks can have a good season. One of this year's best rookie quarterbacks is Andy Dalton of the Bengals. I wanted to review his scouting report when he was in college to see how he was projected. Here is his scouting report:

ANDY DALTON

Accuracy

Dalton’s strength as a passer is his accuracy. He consistently places the ball in an area that only his receiver can make the catch and does a great job leading the receiver and giving him room to run after the catch. During his pro day workout Dalton showed excellent accuracy to every area of the field. There are questions about his deep accuracy, largely related to arm strength. He will get a little high throwing outside but this can be corrected with better timing coming out under center. Dalton has NFL-ready accuracy.

Arm strength

There are questions about his ability to push the ball up-field. He threw passes of 60 yards in the air during pro day, but this was in shorts and without wind. Dalton will not be a big-arm quarterback in a vertical system. He has the arm strength to throw go routes and out patterns but relies more on timing to make his throws. The ball will float down the seam too often. Dalton has the strength to throw with zip and get the ball between defenders. As a West Coast Offense passer, he would excel due to his ability to fit the ball in tight spaces on short and intermediate routes. Despite not having the strongest arm, he does show nice touch on deep balls.

Athleticism/mobility

Dalton performed very well as a runner during his TCU career. He has experience running a zone option and also as a shotgun passer who was given the green light to run if needed. Against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, the Horned Frogs featured Dalton’s rushing ability to throw off the aggressive Badgers defensive line. Dalton totaled 1,611 rushing yards and 22 scores on the ground in his four years as a starter. He has shown the ability to make throws moving left and right out of the pocket.

I see a lot of similarities with Dalton and Luck. They both played on good top ranked teams with solid defenses. They are both very accurate, both are mobile, and have a great understanding of the game. If all of these attributes translate well in the NFL for Dalton, why woudn't they transalte well for Luck?

To me, I think Dalton is the better qb to come out of this draft this year. I also believe he is the top runner for rookie of the year, But then again I think Patrick Peterson should be up there as well for rookie of the year..thats a different subject

What am wanting to say is, What was daltons projected draft pick?

I know last year everyone was sold on Cam Newton at number 1, but why?

See, I think people need to really look at a college prospect before saying "thats our Guy."

Dalton was a late pick and has been so far the better qb of their draft class, Rogers has had the better career thus far out of all the qb's taken in the 05 draft(which there was 14 qb's), Tom Brady wasnt even taken in the 1st round (as much as I hate Brady, The Guy is good), Drew Brees Was Drafted in the Second Round...Neither one was a number 1 pick...I say trade off our number 1 pick for more picks and get a qb in later rounds.....

There our 5+ elite qb that people can think of

My 5 are:

1. Manning

2.Rogers

3.Brady

4.Brees

5.Big Ben or Eli

Eli and his brother Peyton are the only two drafted 1st pick over all...out of the top 5 qbs IMO in the League