Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck as a running threat

zibby43

I have been somewhat disappointed that Luck's running abilities haven't been utilized more effectively this season.

Many defenses are almost wholly unprepared to deal with quality mobile QBs.

For example, look at what Seattle is doing with Wilson (he gouged the Redskins) and what Carolina is doing with Newton (he's racking up yards against the Bengals).  Both guys are ripping off huge chunk plays via designed runs. 

Last year, Luck's running abilities were utilized often in the red zone and in goal-to-go situations (the naked bootleg where he went untouched for 6 comes to mind).

I realize that the Colts want to protect their franchise QB (and I agree that keeping him healthy is a top priority) but I would like to see some more designed QB runs.  Luck seems to be scrambling even less this year.  I would rather see him scramble for positive yardage than force throws into tight windows (which thus far has resulted in a lot of tipped balls and interceptions).

Not only do I think the runs will be effective, but the runs will open up other opportunities for our offense.  QB runs disrupt blitzing and force defenses to keep a spy up around the line of scrimmage (great for our WRs).

My two cents. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been somewhat disappointed that Luck's running abilities haven't been utilized more effectively this season.

For example, look at what Seattle is doing with Wilson (he gouged the Redskins) and what Carolina is doing with Newton (he's racking up yards against the Bengals).  Both guys are ripping off huge chunk plays via designed runs. 

Last year, Luck's running abilities were utilized often in the red zone and in goal-to-go situations (the naked bootleg where he went untouched for 6 comes to mind).

I realize that the Colts want to protect their franchise QB (and I agree that keeping him healthy is a top priority) but I would like to see some more designed QB runs.  Luck seems to be scrambling even less this year.  I would rather see him scramble for positive yardage than force throws into tight windows (which thus far has resulted in a lot of tipped balls and interceptions).

Not only do I think the runs will be effective, but the runs will open up other opportunities for our offense.  QB runs disrupt blitzing and force defenses to keep a spy up around the line of scrimmage (great for our WRs).

My two cents. 

Ughhh... no make that double ughhhhh

I've been begging to let Luck run more since his first season.

He has the wheels and the size. I'm not saying let him take a bunch of hits, he can just slide. (which he needs to work on)

You add another dimension to the offense and make the D pause, and or put a spy on Luck and take a LB out of coverage.

Let Luck run!!

Well thought out post.

I agree with the desire to protect him, but I do hope that:

A) They are designing running plays to debut at the right time/if needed in the post season.

and

B) That he chooses to run a little more often as opposed to trying to force an ill-conceived pass like his red zone interception a couple weeks ago.

Well thought out post.

A) They are designing running plays to debut at the right time/if needed in the post season.

and

B) That he chooses to run a little more often as opposed to trying to force an ill-conceived pass like his red zone interception a couple weeks ago.

I hope he runs less, and throws more of those 17 TD passes he already thrown.

Well thought out post.

and

LOL.. how about you people thinking for a second or two. The guy gets hit more than any QB in the game between running the ball , waiting till the last minute to realize it and turning pressure from the defense into positive plays. And you guys want to design some runs for him. Jesus ... 

Cool story bro. 

I've been begging to let Luck run more since his first season.

He has the wheels and the size. I'm not saying let him take a bunch of hits, he can just slide. (which he needs to work on)

You add another dimension to the offense and make the D pause, and or put a spy on Luck and take a LB out of coverage.

Let Luck run!!

I agree.

and

Well said.

I'd rather my franchise QB not be put in harms way from designed runs. He's plenty effective in the pocket.

And he's not in harm's way every time he drops back?

Why run the ball if it causes a higher risk of injury?

Because it can be truly effective.  I explained the benefits pretty thoroughly in my first post.  Not only do the plays have the potential to be effective but they will open up other elements of the offense. 

LOL.. how about you people thinking for a second or two. The guy gets hit more than any QB in the game between running the ball , waiting till the last minute to realize it and turning pressure from the defense into positive plays. And you guys want to design some runs for him. Jesus ... 

Ever heard of sliding? 

Because it can be truly effective.  I explained the benefits pretty thoroughly in my first post.  Not only do the plays have the potential to be effective but they will open up other elements of the offense. 

It's only effective if there is no one open and there's a clear lane. A QB shouldn't run every so often, especially Luck. There is no need to. 

It's only effective if there is no one open and there's a clear lane. A QB shouldn't run every so often, especially Luck. There is no need to. 

Tell me why San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Carolina (just to name a few) have all made a concerted effort to keep defenses honest with occasional QB runs.

Tell it to RG3.

He's established that he's made of glass.  Wilson is tiny compared to Luck and he seems to be doing just fine.  Newton as well (although he's built similarly to Luck). 

Foles burned us with runs, too.  Other teams seem to have no problem with it. 

Tell me why San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, and Carolina (just to name a few) have all made a concerted effort to keep defenses honest with occasional QB runs.

He's established that he's made of glass.  Wilson is tiny compared to Luck and he seems to be doing just fine.  Newton as well (although he's built similarly to Luck). 

Because they all have mobile QB's. (Well not Philadelphia)

Foles has taken way too many hits this year and it's shown in his accuracy . Newton was banged up pretty good , ankle and ribs I believe. This is the first week he's been healthy.Wilson is so tiny that he often needs to break the pocket as he has trouble seeing the whole field. Plus he's amazing elusive and rarely takes a solid hit. You will probably see a designed running play for Luck that will be used in a critical spot. However , I will guarantee you that they are not looking for Luck to run the ball more a la Cam Newton. 

Because they all have mobile QB's. (Well not Philadelphia)

And Luck is just as mobile.  My point was that nearly every offense with a true dual threat QB sprinkles in a few runs.  I'm not asking him to go out there and run the read option every series. 

Wilson is a pass-first guy, like Luck.  However, he has had even more success in the passing game after gashing teams with runs and forcing them to commit a LB near the LOS as a spy. 

Foles has taken way too many hits this year and it's shown in his accuracy . Newton was banged up pretty good , ankle and ribs I believe. This is the first week he's been healthy.Wilson is so tiny that he often needs to break the pocket as he has trouble seeing the whole field. Plus he's amazing elusive and rarely takes a solid hit. You will probably see a designed running play for Luck that will be used in a critical spot. However , I will guarantee you that they are not looking for Luck to run the ball more a la Cam Newton. 

As I said above, I'm not wanting him to run the read option out there.

Nor do I want him to run as much as someone like Wilson.  All I'm saying is that I trust the coaches to come up with plays that will take advantage of his legs (while simultaneously keeping him as safe as possible).

Considering that the Colts have designed plays for him in the past (and considering that virtually every team with a mobile QB takes advantage of their QB's mobility), I don't believe my thinking is very wild. 

As I said above, I'm not wanting him to run the read option out there.

Nor do I want him to run as much as someone like Wilson.  All I'm saying is that I trust the coaches to come up with plays that will take advantage of his legs (while simultaneously keeping him as safe as possible).

Considering that the Colts have designed plays for him in the past (and considering that virtually every team with a mobile QB takes advantage of their QB's mobility), I don't believe my thinking is very wild. 

IMO , there's a very fine line when you talk about Luck running more. If you're talking about a goal line play or a critical 3rd down play , I'm OK with that. If you're talking about utilizing his running ability more in our basic offense , I disagree with that.

Wilson only averages 6.08 runs per game and many of those are not designed but him having to run cause his O Line is very overrated....As we all saw vs Washington, For comparison Luck runs not much less at 3.6 times per game or rounded up 4, Many of those also cause O Line or wr's not getting open or him hanging onto the ball a bit to long

Right now we are first in pts, ypg, passing, and 17th in rushing.  Yes I would like rushing a little higher, but it is still well over 100 yards a game, enough to keep the defense honest.  The way it is set up now is working, lets not change it, because if it had that much affect on the defense, then seattle, san fran, carolina, would have better offensive numbers than they have right now.

My two cents.

Geeze... So we're not satisfied with having one of the top offenses in the league right now?

Looking at our games so far, I can't think of one where I would've thought: gee, we would've won that one, if we JUST let Luck run it more.

That's why I said

" They are designing running plays to debut at the right time/if needed in the post season."

That implies that they would not use them until the post season and only if needed.  I'm in the camp that wants us to conservative and protect him, no read option in week 8! 

But when all the chips are on the line, pull out all the stops!

That goes without saying. But there are times when the best option is to run and he doesn't always recognize those times.

Lucks best option is to keep his health. Having him run more than he already is just advances the risk of injury. He is leading the NFL doing what he is doing. He seems to know when it's time to take off on his own without designed plays for him to run. Pep takes a lot of heat already so what could be worse than getting Luck hurt on a play called by Pep? This forum would blow up.

For example, look at what Seattle is doing with Wilson (he gouged the Redskins) and what Carolina is doing with Newton (he's racking up yards against the Bengals). Both guys are ripping off huge chunk plays via designed runs.

I realize that the Colts want to protect their franchise QB (and I agree that keeping him healthy is a top priority) but I would like to see some more designed QB runs. Luck seems to be scrambling even less this year. I would rather see him scramble for positive yardage than force throws into tight windows (which thus far has resulted in a lot of tipped balls and interceptions).

Not only do I think the runs will be effective, but the runs will open up other opportunities for our offense. QB runs disrupt blitzing and force defenses to keep a spy up around the line of scrimmage (great for our WRs).

My two cents.

no no no and no, cam hurt, Griffin hurt I don't want luck running except the times when he can do so safely with minimal risk of injury