Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who won?

Monster

Normally the team that wins the game, gets the lion share of the highlights, hence they made the most/more important and impressive plays to win. But when you go to watch ESPN's highlights it's almost all about J.J. Watt,  and how the Colts almost lost??...How about what the Colts DID to Win?  You would never know we won until it's half heartedly mentioned it at the end of the segment.  Its a common theme with them- when it comes to Indy teams. Slant coverage.  

Normally the team that wins the game, gets the lion share of the highlights, hence they made the most/more important and impressive plays to win. But when you go to watch ESPN's highlights it's almost all about J.J. Watt,  and how the Colts almost lost??...How about what the Colts DID to Win?  You would never know we won until it's half heartedly mentioned it at the end of the segment.  Its a common theme with them- when it comes to Indy teams. Slant coverage.  

I'd rather have it that way...

Let's just keep on keeping on

It was a good win, a TEAM win; but let's not kid ourselves into believeing Watt doesn't deserve the spotlight after that performance.  The collective immediate reaction of sportscasters after watching that game seems to have been "WOW!  Watt almost won that game single-handedly!"

There are also a few articles about T.Y. and his performance, and Luck articles are starting to pop up. 

Yeah, not sure why the sentiment on this board is always "Colts don't get enough national coverage"???

I would assume to fly under radar always as much as possible...

First thing I heard when I got in the car to drive to work, was Cowherd talking with Kravitz about the Colts win, so some people are taking notice...

The Colts got the win. TY was great but the player of the game was J.J. Watt and he deserved to be. Put Luck on that team and they would be Super Bowl contenders right now.

Colts have never gotten the spotlight.. even when peyton was here. Espn and nfl network rarely show colts highlights. I didnt see one play from the ravens game all week.. even on gameday final.. it's will ALWAYS be about the cowboys the patriots and seahawks.. not so much seahawks

The Colts got the win. TY was great but the player of the game was J.J. Watt and he deserved to be. Put Luck on that team and they would be Super Bowl contenders right now.

I disagree....

TY had an equally great or better game than Watt.  

Also, their secondary was getting torched all day.  There's only so much one defensive lineman can do.

Watt was disruptive but he was not the player of the game T .Y  Hilton was . Watt stepped it up after the Texans stunk on both sides of the ball during that first quarter , The Texans did much better & got some lucky breaks but at the end of the night the better team won , The entire Texans defense stepped up , All 11 players  putting Watt on a pedestal as if he did it all is a joke .

Watt was great.  And he personally made two D plays on our last possession to get the ball back in Fitz hands to win it.  He deserves all of the coverage he is getting.  He never went 1/2 speed.  He was either all out, or on the sideline.

But our guys never folded or coasted, even as Texans were mounting a comeback, mostly because of mistakes we made.  On the last play of the game, our D guys were going 100%, and the Texans players went 1/2 effort at times.  Prime example, on that last Texans play, the strip sack.  First, DB coverage was very good, making Fitz pull it down and move up in the pocket.  But, Werner never gave up on the play, and LT Brown of Texans doesn't play to the whistle and let's Werner slide off toward Fitzpatrick.  Werner sacks and strips Fitz.  But the Texans have 4 guys close to the loose ball, we have D.Jax. The others were already in motion, D.Jax just starting his move to it.

FitzFumble_zpsce13bd4d.png

So who gets it!  Let's see...  Speedy Hopkins closing in, DJax honing in... hey! What's this streak down there coming in now?

FitzFumble2_zpsd124c11b.png

It appears Davis broke off his coverage as soon as he saw the ball pop out and makes a beeline for it...  Then with perfect technique-

FitzFumble3_zpsa8621f85.png

Swoops in along with DJax!  Djax technique often has that ball squirt off the shoulder pads or helmet, etc..  Davis lands on right hip, blocks a lazy Hopkins (1/2 effort!) from it and with his right hand swipes the ball in front of him, where DJax also is as well. Here it doesn't matter which of the guys finally secures it.  The ball is securely between them and Davis' heads up play and all out effort here was just as important to making sure we recovered that ball as DJax hustle was. 

I try to keep an eye out for such hustle plays.  Like on one of the TD passes from Luck.  I saw shotgun with Bradshaw lined up on the left side of Luck.  At the snap, JJ Watt went around the right end almost untouched.  Bradshaw slips around in front of Luck and out to JJ Watt and threw a cut block on him that slowed him up long enough for Luck to unload on the TD pass.  Without that hustle by Bradshaw, take 7 points off the board and Luck gets sacked at minimum, and maybe fumbles it as well.  It was a tough day on a short week on the road, but our guys never quit and left it all out there and got a well deserved win.

Watt was great.  And he personally made two D plays on our last possession to get the ball back in Fitz hands to win it.  He deserves all of the coverage he is getting.

But our guys never folded, even as Texans were mounting a comeback, mostly because of mistakes we made.  On the last play of the game, our D guys were going 100%, and the Texans players went 1/2 effort at times.  Prime example, on that last Texans play, the strip sack.  First, DB coverage was very good, making Fitz pull it down and move up in the pocket.  But, Werner never gave up on the play, and LT Brown of Texans doesn't play to the whistle, and let's Werner slide off.  Werner sacks and strips Fitz.  But Texans have 4 guys close to the loose ball, we have D.Jax. The others were already in  motion, D.Jax just starting his move to it.

FitzFumble_zpsce13bd4d.png

So who gets it!  Let's see...  Speedy Hopkins closing in, DJax honing in... hey! What's this steak coming in now?

FitzFumble2_zpsd124c11b.png

It appears Davis broke off his coverage as soon as he saw the ball pop out and makes a beeline for it...  Then with perfect technique-

FitzFumble3_zpsa8621f85.png

Swoops in along with DJax!  Djax technique often has that ball squirt off the should pads or helmet, etc..  Davis lands on right hip, blocks a lazy Hopkins (1/2 effort!) and with right hand swipesthe  ball in front of him, where DJax is as well. Here it doesn't matter which of the guys finally secures it.  The ball is securely between them and Davis' play here was just as important to making sure we recovered that ball as DJax hustle was. 

I try to keep an eye out for such hustle plays.  Like the on one of TD passes from Luck.  I saw shotgun with Bradshaw lined up on the left side of Luck.  at the snap, JJ Watt went around the right end almost untouched.  Bradshaw slip around in front of Luck and out to JJ Watt and threw a cut block on him that slowed him up long enough for Luck to unload on the TD pass.  Without that hustle by Bradshaw, take 7 points off the board and Luck gets sacked at minimum, and maybe fumbles it as well.  It was a tough day on a short week on the road, but our guys never quit and left it all out there and got a well deserved win.

Also was an almost impossible job to manage that game after the first 14 minutes had gone by. Big lead with hardly any time gone off the clock. O line not good enough to just kill off the game by running the ball , so you pretty much have to "tone it down" and not make any mistakes. Very hard to do that for 3 quarters . The 3 huge mistakes , which all were a bit flukey , and the 5-6 great plays Foster , Fitz and AJ made somehow put them back into the game. Usually when you go up 24 points you have maybe a half of football left to protect. This lead was a little different as you had 3 quarters and a minute left . 

Yeah, not sure why the sentiment on this board is always "Colts don't get enough national coverage"???

First thing I heard when I got in the car to drive to work, was Cowherd talking with Kravitz about the Colts win, so some people are taking notice...

Cowherd is an exception because he's a total PAC 12 homer and Luck has been his boy since he was a freshman at Stanford. Most of the national media intentionally disregards the Colts on purpose because Indianapolis is a media fly over zone. Because of location and market shares, the Colts have to be doing historic things to get media attention, because the media makes it's money covering the teams that actually have a nation wide market (Namely teams like the Cowboys, Patriots, and Steelers). 

Houston is also a huge market, a successful Houston sports team would be a boon to media dollars, and coverage of "Houston loses almost comeback" is going to garner far more ad dollars than "Indianapolis wins big divisional game on short week." It's just how the media works, and it's no fault of the media. This is capitalism, and how it's supposed to work. The media caters to the majority because in doing so, they ensure maximum ad revenue.

Cowherd is an exception because he's a total PAC 12 homer and Luck has been his boy since he was a freshman at Stanford. Most of the national media intentionally disregards the Colts on purpose because Indianapolis is a media fly over zone. Because of location and market shares, the Colts have to be doing historic things to get media attention, because the media makes it's money covering the teams that actually have a nation wide market (Namely teams like the Cowboys, Patriots, and Steelers). 

Houston is also a huge market, a successful Houston sports team would be a boon to media dollars, and coverage of "Houston loses almost comeback" is going to garner far more ad dollars than "Indianapolis wins big divisional game on short week." It's just how the media works, and it's no fault of the media. This is capitalism, and how it's supposed to work. The media caters to the majority because in doing so, they ensure maximum ad revenue.

Oh i get all of that, but i just don't see the huge slight to the Colts like some around these parts, i live in SOCAL & i feel like i still see a significant amount of coverage on the Colts...

I just dont see the fascination or desire in being the media darlings..

To be honest I live outside the Indy media area....and I get plenty of discussion even on the local radio stations about the Colts and Luck. We are talking like local radio stations that cover HS/College football down here. Also I listen to CBS/FOX/NBC/ESPN radio and while the Colts don't get tons of coverage....Andrew Luck is talked about DAILY and he is definately being crowned the new Prince of the NFL....I honestly don't get it with you guys. The ONLY thing that made that game entertaining the other night was the monstrous game Luck/TY and Watt played. Watt deserved a ton of credit for motivating his team to keep fighting and to continue to make plays when he was clearly the focus of the offenses blocking and schemes. That game could have been ugly fast..and Houston played a good game to come back (something they are NOT built to do) so the media spinned it a bit to capture attention for their plugs....I just don't get the whoa is me attitude we have. We complain when we win and we complain when we lose. People are never happy. Turn off the dang TV or radio if it bothers you that much and just watch/listen to our team call the game then if you can't handle any criticism of our guys or anything positive said about anyone else. Houston played their butts off to get back into the game and quite frankly I was happy because if they had just laid down and let us walk over them I wouldn't have got to watch a couple hours of entertaining football and they at least saved our division from being called the worst in football. They got my respect because they took a knock out punch and got back up. Good for them...and good for us playing a great first quarter and finishing the game off on defense.

We have a better team even if you subtract the QB. Watt is a game changer, no doubt, but what was their record with him last year?

Eh, the Colts got a group of highlights on ESPN. T.Y. was on there, and so was Pat McAfee's onside kick.

JJ Watt had a monster game though. That guy is just a freak. 7 tackles, 2 sacks 4 PDF, 1 Fumble Recovery 1 TD. 

It was a great game. Had me worried when we took the foot off the gas after the first quarter, but all that matters in the end is the W. 

Saw McGinest on NFL Network. He was pretty much writing off the Colts and bigging up the Texans. It was embarrassing actually. Even his host looked embarrassed. Toss pot.

This was post game analysis by the way.

I'm sorry, but the "experts" do that every year.

"This year is the Texan's breakout year! They're going to the SUPAH BAWOL!" 

Then the Texans go 8-8.

Do you remember the absolute crapstorm that happened when Manning was out in 2011. Every expert was like...

"SEE I TOLD YOU GUYS! TEXANS R GOOD!"

I just wonder if Manning never got injured, then the Texans probably still wouldn't have won a playoff game.

Also was an almost impossible job to manage that game after the first 14 minutes had gone by. Big lead with hardly any time gone off the clock. O line not good enough to just kill off the game by running the ball , so you pretty much have to "tone it down" and not make any mistakes. Very hard to do that for 3 quarters . The 3 huge mistakes , which all were a bit flukey , and the 5-6 great plays Foster , Fitz and AJ made somehow put them back into the game. Usually when you go up 24 points you have maybe a half of football left to protect. This lead was a little different as you had 3 quarters and a minute left .

Question. Why tone it down? Keep running it up to a point we know they can't come back instead of letting a defeated team back in it. Full throttle til it's over. Remember when we got demolished in 11-12' season by the Saints? 62-7.

Question. Why tone it down? Keep running it up to a point we know they can't come back instead of letting a defeated team back in it. Full throttle til it's over. Remember when we got demolished in 11-12' season by the Saints? 62-7.

I really don't think Pep got over conservative considering the game clock and score. I think it's correct to try to lean on the run a bit and try to milk the clock a bit. I just think it was a tall order considering the Houston defense , two back up guards and the challenge of keeping the offense's intensity level up. But I'm always a worry wart and maybe I was imagining a tougher situation than it really was.

Oh i get all of that, but i just don't see the huge slight to the Colts like some around these parts, i live in SOCAL & i feel like i still see a significant amount of coverage on the Colts...

I just dont see the fascination or desire in being the media darlings..

I think it stems from the glory days with Manning. He took all the spotlight with him to Denver.

I think it stems from the glory days with Manning. He took all the spotlight with him to Denver.

Ahh.. what's the big deal ? So he talking heads decided to give Watt all the props. It's something different and they jumped on it.

I have no problem with flying under the radar, I love being underestimated. But getting the deserved Respect for winning IS important especially when we have major media that are convinced that instead of being winners, we are are  always a team that almost loses... Case in point the  KC playoff game last year how many times is it suggested KC should've won instead of Indy getting credit for a GREAT comeback...I was there, and I was hoarse the day after. But the story is not the comeback it's KC should have won...Like I said it's more a lack of respect. Indy "should've" beat Philly if not for shady refs. But that's never mentioned, Philly won and that's the end of it. 

With this team its ALWAYS "something" different to write about.

A lot of teams in the league can say that, but we all know media outlets especially television shows don't necessarily always have the time to focus on every team. They talk about what gets them viewership, though I won't claim to know what formula they use. In this case it is blatantly obvious though.

I mean I saw tons/heard a lot about Luck being MVP and SVP even had someone on talking about how the Colts could be in the Superbowl this year. I also heard a lot about Watt being great, and the counter that yeah he's great but they were down 24-0 at home at one point as well. Just depends on when you tune in, and what you listen to.

I have no problem with flying under the radar, I love being underestimated. But getting the deserved Respect for winning IS important especially when we have major media that are convinced that instead of being winners, we are are always a team that almost loses... Case in point the KC playoff game last year how many times is it suggested KC should've won instead of Indy getting credit for a GREAT comeback...I was there, and I was hoarse the day after. But the story is not the comeback it's KC should have won...Like I said it's more a lack of respect. Indy "should've" beat Philly if not for shady refs. But that's never mentioned, Philly won and that's the end of it.

Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea...

We have a better team even if you subtract the QB. Watt is a game changer, no doubt, but what was their record with him last year?

I agree...put Watt on our team and WE are a SB favorite. That said we are a contender in my mind. Any team that will make the playoffs has a shot...we just have to play without making those critical mistakes and we have a great shot!