Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What I'm Seeing And What I'm Starting To Think

WoolMagnet

First of all, be warned. I'm kinda a glass half full guy.

Today's game was interesting in some ways.

1. First, I don't see our guys giving up on the field. Especially today I thought the team played with excitement and possibly played as well as they have all year.

2. Whats this?, excitement out of caldwell? Was everyone watching him? He was yelling, clapping, and I even saw SMILING! I liked what I saw from Caldwell today.

3. The defense isn't as bad as some think. The CB combo today was interesting. Don't forget, we lost 2 DTs. In fact, except for maybe 2 games(NO was one), the defense hasn't really played any worse than the past few years.

4. Special Teams needs to be improved. Especially when we receive. It seems that KR and PR duties are an afterthought.

5. Collie for the first time this year looked like his old self.

6. The addition of that FB really seemed to help the running game. I'd like to see the Colts develop this.

7. Painter won't be here next year. I don't dislike the guy, but if he made even 3 more of those passes, I think we win that game.

8. We haven't blitzed nearly enough this year.

9. I'm starting to think Calwell isn't the problem.

10. Hughes is taking a long time to show he was worth a 1st rd pick.

More and more, I'm looking at the GM as one of the main reasons we are in this position. Primarily, I see the biggest issue in a few recent drafts.

Last year's draft (2011) I feel was (or will be) a good one. However, if we look back, some mistakes might have been made. I say might because I'm no expert and some players take a while to blossom.

2011: 1)Castanzo(OT), 2) Ijalan(OT) 3)Nevis(DT), 4) Carter (RB) 6) Rucker(CB)

2010: 1)Hughes(DE) 2)Angerer(LB) 3)Thomas(CB) 4)McClendon(OG) 5)Eldridge(TE) 7)Mathews(DE), Conner(LB), Fisher(CB)

2009: 1)Brown(RB) 2)Moala(DT) 3)Powers(CB) 4)Collie(WR), Taylor(DT) 6)Painter 7)McCafee(K), Thomas(OG)

2008: 2)Pollack© 3)Wheeler(LB) 4)Tamme(TE) 5)Howard(LB) 6)Santi(TE), Justice©, Garcon(WR) 7)Richard©

2007: 1)Gonzalez(WR) 2)Ugoh(OT) 3)Hughes(CB), Pitcock(DT) 4)Condren(S), Session(LB) 5)Hall(WR), Coe(CB) 7)Dawson(LB)

Looking at that list you can see some issues with injuries, high picks taken at positions that you don't have need, reaches because you have need, bad luck, and quitters.

The ones that stand out the most as hurting us are 2010(1st)Hughes, 2009(1st)Brown, 2008(2nd)Pollack (no 1st b/c odf ugoh), 2007(1st)Gonzo and 2007(2nd) Ugoh (hurt us again in 2008) 2007(3rd) (Pitcock quit and hughes was at position we had depth)

2010/2009 Hughes and Brown were taken at positions where they really were't needed. Could have added good def talent there that would have seen more playing time.

2008 I think the Pollack pick b/c he's just average and really was our 1st pick.

2007 Constant injuries to Gonzo and Ugoh not panning out hurt us. Ugoh hurt not only for the 2nd in 2007 but also the 1st he cost for 2008. Hughes and Pitcock at #3 also hurt.

But you also have to see some good picks in there too. We got some good service out of those later rounds. However, I feel we just didn't get the production out of the top picks. Not all of this was in the GMs control tho.

Add to that this years draft which i really liked confuses me about this team and what I would change.

We lost ALOT of talent on the offensive coaching part of the team. Fist Moore and Mudd, and then Peyton.

I'd like the team to look seriously at strenthening/evaluating OC, DC, ST and strenthening coaches along with ALL positional coaching. From top to bottom this organization should be analyzed anong with efficiency, etc. I'm thinking we don't need a total overhaul, but rather a good cleaning, setting goals and strategies, implementing plans, etc. Get back to the basics, the fundamentals. Both in the front office and in the coaching and effort by the players.

1. First, I don't see our guys giving up on the field. Especially today I thought the team played with excitement and possibly played as well as they have all year.

2. Whats this?, excitement out of caldwell? Was everyone watching him? He was yelling, clapping, and I even saw SMILING! I liked what I saw from Caldwell today.

3. The defense isn't as bad as some think. The CB combo today was interesting. Don't forget, we lost 2 DTs. In fact, except for maybe 2 games(NO was one), the defense hasn't really played any worse than the past few years.

4. Special Teams needs to be improved. Especially when we receive. It seems that KR and PR duties are an afterthought.

6. The addition of that FB really seemed to help the running game. I'd like to see the Colts develop this.

7. Painter won't be here next year. I don't dislike the guy, but if he made even 3 more of those passes, I think we win that game.

More and more, I'm looking at the GM as one of the main reasons we are in this position. Primarily, I see the biggest issue in a few recent drafts.

Last year's draft (2011) I feel was (or will be) a good one. However, if we look back, some mistakes might have been made. I say might because I'm no expert and some players take a while to blossom.

2010: 1)Hughes(DE) 2)Angerer(LB) 3)Thomas(CB) 4)McClendon(OG) 5)Eldridge(TE) 7)Mathews(DE), Conner(LB), Fisher(CB)

2009: 1)Brown(RB) 2)Moala(DT) 3)Powers(CB) 4)Collie(WR), Taylor(DT) 6)Painter 7)McCafee(K), Thomas(OG)

2008: 2)Pollack© 3)Wheeler(LB) 4)Tamme(TE) 5)Howard(LB) 6)Santi(TE), Justice©, Garcon(WR) 7)Richard©

2007: 1)Gonzalez(WR) 2)Ugoh(OT) 3)Hughes(CB), Pitcock(DT) 4)Condren(S), Session(LB) 5)Hall(WR), Coe(CB) 7)Dawson(LB)

Looking at that list you can see some issues with injuries, high picks taken at positions that you don't have need, reaches because you have need, bad luck, and quitters.

The ones that stand out the most as hurting us are 2010(1st)Hughes, 2009(1st)Brown, 2008(2nd)Pollack (no 1st b/c odf ugoh), 2007(1st)Gonzo and 2007(2nd) Ugoh (hurt us again in 2008) 2007(3rd) (Pitcock quit and hughes was at position we had depth)

2010/2009 Hughes and Brown were taken at positions where they really were't needed. Could have added good def talent there that would have seen more playing time.

2008 I think the Pollack pick b/c he's just average and really was our 1st pick.

2007 Constant injuries to Gonzo and Ugoh not panning out hurt us. Ugoh hurt not only for the 2nd in 2007 but also the 1st he cost for 2008. Hughes and Pitcock at #3 also hurt.

But you also have to see some good picks in there too. We got some good service out of those later rounds. However, I feel we just didn't get the production out of the top picks. Not all of this was in the GMs control tho.

Add to that this years draft which i really liked confuses me about this team and what I would change.

We lost ALOT of talent on the offensive coaching part of the team. Fist Moore and Mudd, and then Peyton.

I'd like the team to look seriously at strenthening/evaluating OC, DC, ST and strenthening coaches along with ALL positional coaching. From top to bottom this organization should be analyzed anong with efficiency, etc. I'm thinking we don't need a total overhaul, but rather a good cleaning, setting goals and strategies, implementing plans, etc. Get back to the basics, the fundamentals. Both in the front office and in the coaching and effort by the players.

I am sorry to say maybe you dont' know what you are seeing!but hey way to be positive. I can only say that I think we will lose Caldwell anyway because experts say that there is going to be 5 coaching openings at seasons end, and with coaches ability to lead and adjust I know we won't be able to afford to keep him.

The main issues are front office management or the lack thereof, bad players and coaching. Yes I saw Caldwell get emotional a couple of times in the game, in particlar on a third down stop by the defense. My take on the front office has already been stated and I agree that one of our issues is the salary cap. It is tilted too much in favor of a small group of aging players. Since so much of the Colts salary cap is concentrated on only 20% of players, our special teams suffer because the players left to place on special teams are horrible. Our drafting has been terrible over the past several years. Just because later round draft picks continually make the team year after year doesn't say much for the talent they replace.

Brown, Hughes and Gonzo, three recent first round picks, and Ugoh, although picked in the second round, cost us a first round draft choice. The most charitable thing you can say about those four is they have underachieved. It was almost pathetically sad to see Hughes struggle the way he did on the field Sunday against the Jordan Gross, the Panthers LT. Brown played ok, but he will never be a featured back type and he is only so so in pass blocking and pass catching - two key criteria for a Colts "system" RB.

It is a sad commentary on our drafting that, even with some of the later round draftees from the 2006 to 2010 drafts making the roster is just as many, if not more, of the Colts draftees are no longer with the team or out of football or we sign another team's draft bust or a guy straight from K Mart no one else seems to want. I suppose some of that is done just so the Vice Chairman or GM can show us dumb masses how much smarter they are in bringing in talent.

Coaching is abysmal. It did improve a little yesterday from previous weeks but when that bar has been set that low anything would be an improvement. Dont forget we had two weeks to prepare for a 2-8 team with a rookie head coach, rookie QB and a bad defense and we still managed to lose, at home, by 8 points. The fact that we were cheering because the HC showed a little emotion is a sad commentary by itself.

There is a joke about the military and its need to keep everything positive, despite the obvious violence that is war. It goes a little like this - A Air Force Major is a pilot and is being debriefed by the press after a not too successful bombing run and he is asked how was the conditions going into the air strike. He is very blunt and talks about the enemy being very well prepared and the heck the air strike endured. A Air Force press officer is sitting next to the pilot and rephrases everything the pilot say by saying "what the Major meant to say is...)" so it fits in with the offical Government account. Finally, at the end of the press conference the pilot is asked to characterize the war and he says "its a *ed up war" and the Air Force officer press officer chimes in with "what the Major meant to say is its a * up war". I feel the same way about the Colts now - we have the Caldwell spin and the Irsay tweeting vetted to and by Polian and Polian and then Bill Polian acting the role of the Air Force press officer when most everything he says is just a one sided spin or evasive or flat out wrong. What I would like to see is Polian come out and say "we are terrible top to bottom and need immediate corrections" and Irsay finally say "You know, I DO own this team and my first obligation is to ensure the viability of the product by making whatever changes are necessary, to include personnel and management. I just realized I cant afford to keep aboard based on just previous performance"

What I saw is this:

I think the Colts played there best game of the year this year. Against a horrible team, at home, and still lost by 8. Im not sure how to take that.

The FB addition seemed to work fantastic, but he made it a quarter and a half taking all those lead tacklers away, is our OL THAT bad?

Painter is not an NFL QB.

Im not sure I agree with you on Collie. Then again though, Im of the mind Collie is a marginal NFL WR, and only excels in the Slot, very little seperation, not much speed, but good hands. The ball has to be there for Collie to make a play, Collies not making any on his own.

Reggie Wayne is done. Yea the TD was great, but after the defenders took themselves out, Reggie was seen in the open field for the first time in years. Did anyone notice just how slow Reggie is? He slowed up a bit at the 15 getting into the EZ, but after his catch, and before the score, watch the tape, see how many, and how quickly those guys caught Reggie. It was astonishing.

During the first half nearly all of our DE (not Hughes) were all over Newton. Mathis, Freeney, Anderson were all getting good penetration, and even a few sacks. The adjustments were made, and we never saw any of them again.

The CB's played somewhat well. Smith is a big play guy, not a big guy, wasn't worried about him catching 8-150-TD, but was worried about 3-90-TD which was held somewhat in check. But LaFell and Nananee aren't exactly top of the line WR to begin with, and the fact they were held under 100 is considered acceptable just goes to show how far things have fallen off in Indy.

As someone who has seen almost every game the colts have played since 1984, in my non-expert opinion this is the worst team I have witnessed wearing the horseshoe during that time. It would be more encouraging if they WEREN'T playing hard because that might mean they had it in them to be a better team. It's all up to Jim Irsay right now to make the changes needed, but I question if he has the fortitude to do so.

The most consistently good player has been Pat McAfee, and he'll be lucky to make it to the end of the season if he has to keep making tackles.

We need a competent quarterback as well as significant improvements on offense, defense, special teams and coaching. No single draft pick is going to fix this team.

As someone who has seen almost every game the colts have played since 1984, in my non-expert opinion this is the worst team I have witnessed wearing the horseshoe during that time. It would be more encouraging if they WEREN'T playing hard because that might mean they had it in them to be a better team. It's all up to Jim Irsay right now to make the changes needed, but I question if he has the fortitude to do so.

The most consistently good player has been Pat McAfee, and he'll be lucky to make it to the end of the season if he has to keep making tackles.

We need a competent quarterback as well as significant improvements on offense, defense, special teams and coaching. No single draft pick is going to fix this team.

As spot on as you could be. Excellent post.