Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, the Ravens move Steve Smith Sr. around a lot

BlueShoe

I just watched the Panthers at Ravens game, and so far I have yet to notice a dominant side that Steve Smith lines up at. He has lined up left, right, and in the slot.

I have noticed that Torrey Smith is very good at running comeback routes. He really digs in and has a good burst coming back to the ball. Torrey always had the wheels to run deep, but the ability to dig in hard and come back is not something I have ever noticed as one of his strengths before. He has definitely fine tuned his route running abilities. 

The Ravens do a really good job with rotating a lot of receivers in the game. 

I do not believe Steve Smith will have a lot of success in the slot (Butler) or lined up wide left (Davis). He could have some success against Toler though, due to his shiftiness.

If I am the Ravens then I would line Steve Smith up against Toler and Torrey Smith against Davis. My game plan would be to stretch the field with Torrey Smith, and maybe draw a cheap flag. I would use Steve Smith as the possession receiver in this game and line him up exclusively on the right side. 

If the Ravens stick to their game plan (against Carolina) of moving Steve Smith all over the field then they are actually playing to our strengths 66% of the time.

I think Toler can hang with Smiths speed wise but as far as trying to hang with him from a football IQ and route running wise....I don't hold much hope for that. I actually think Smith will have plenty of success in the slot on crossing routes as well off our Linebackers.

I think getting pressure on Flacco and stopping the run is key in this game from a defensive standpoint because if we don't do that then its Steve Smith on Toler and with only our Safeties behind him.

Confuse Flacco with blitzes, Make him uncomfortable.

Offensively jump on the Ravens early with an efficient passing attack while taking a few well timed shots down the field when we cross the 50...especially when they go to single high Safety looks...Elam will bite on it using play action

I'm just wondering how much one on one coverage we will commit to in this game.  I've got a strong hunch we will go more 2 deep safeties in this game.

Gavin is right..that would be a mistake..

..we've got to dial up pressure..make them make big plays..

We want more posessions...more passe..sa longer game...Eventually the Colts win that.

Ravens win by long clock killing drives

Another idea I have is lining Coby up next to Castonzo sending Coby on a Quick Out route in the hopes that Dumervil takes the bait and has to follow him...If not then that's fine to...Allow Dumervil to rush Castonzos OUTSIDE shoulder...At this point Castonzo should just redirect him out of the play before heading up field to lead block OR down block on the DE leaving a gaping hole for our running backs to run through...Do this off of a couple Draw plays out of a few different formations. Dumervil has not been very good at all making plays in the run game in his career

Gavin is right..that would be a mistake..

..we've got to dial up pressure..make them make big plays..

We want more posessions...more passe..sa longer game...Eventually the Colts win that.

Ravens win by long clock killing drives

I guess that's how they scored on us all those times in the playoffs by playing 2 man? No they bombed us to death in one on one coverage if my memory serves me correctly. I realize our secondary is better now, but these guys live off the deep ball and drawing pass interference calls on the deep ball which I think they would be less likely to do under a 2 deep shell.  I do think you mix in some blitz, but I'm in favor of more 2 deep coverage IF it can be maintained.  Especially since they are not that talented at the tight end position.  If not then of course you have to disrupt the pocket with more blitz pressure.  

People are talking about their offensive line being this and that, but most of the damage is done off the play action pass.  I'm not sure there's enough data for me to say we can't pressure with a 4 man front if we can get that run stopped.  I want them to prove it.  I've said it more than once, I'm confident in our ability to stop that running game.

I'm just wondering how much one on one coverage we will commit to in this game.  I've got a strong hunch we will go more 2 deep safeties in this game.  

Our motto is man-to-man. It is what we do. Although, anything is possible, I don't see us changing that important part of our DNA.

I believe we will play A LOT of nickel in this game. Butler might be on the field up to 90% of the time. 

i Look to see a lot of Zach Kerr too. He plays a lot in our nickel package. 

I think Toler can hang with Smiths speed wise but as far as trying to hang with him from a football IQ and route running wise....I don't hold much hope for that. I actually think Smith will have plenty of success in the slot on crossing routes as well off our Linebackers.

I think getting pressure on Flacco and stopping the run is key in this game from a defensive standpoint because if we don't do that then its Steve Smith on Toler and with only our Safeties behind him.

Offensively jump on the Ravens early with an efficient passing attack while taking a few well timed shots down the field when we cross the 50...especially when they go to single high Safety looks...Elam will bite on it using play action

How confident are you that the single high safety won't be Terrance Brooks?  They've been putting him in the game more now.

I actually think Smith will have plenty of success in the slot on crossing routes as well off our Linebackers.

From what I saw, the Ravens line up a VAST majority of snaps from 11 personnel. So expect our defense to stay in a lot of nickel in this game. I would not be surprised to see Butler on the field up to 90% of the time in this one (obviously defensive snaps).

Our motto is man-to-man. It is what we do. Although, anything is possible, I don't see us changing that important part of our DNA.

I believe we will play A LOT of nickel in this game. Butler might be on the field up to 90% of the time. 

You can play man to man with a 2 deep shell though.

You can play man to man with a 2 deep shell though.

True. Thought you were referring to playing a 2 deep shell with our corners in zone. I misread (misunderstood). Bad flashback. :)

We had better hope we stop the run with our front seven.

Edit: .... the more I think about this, I believe you may be onto something. After all, this is the next logical step in the evolution of our defense. 

True. Thought you were referring to playing 2 deep shell zone. I misread (misunderstood).

.... the more I think about this, I believe you may be onto something.

I know Manusky isn't going to be heavy on the zone stuff.  Just not his thing although I have seen him doing some of it with the linebackers to cover up guys like Dqwell Jackson.  

Yes I think we are stout enough up front(especially with the return of Jerrell Freeman) to stop them with the front 7 most of the time.  I don't think we'll be able to do it all the time, but more often then not.  I don't care what the numbers say, I'm just not that impressed with the Ravens running backs.  I think we've got the guys to shut down some of those big holes they've gotten against other opponents. We've also seen this scheme multiple times a year. I just don't think it will be a massive problem.  I could be wrong though!

I know Manusky isn't going to be heavy on the zone stuff.  Just not his thing although I have seen him doing some of it with the linebackers to cover up guys like Dqwell Jackson.  

Yes I think we are stout enough up front(especially with the return of Jerrell Freeman) to stop them with the front 7 most of the time.  I don't think we'll be able to do it all the time, but more often then not.  

I am with you man. It is only reasonable to expect the evolution of this defense to reach a 2 deep shell base. We do not want to always "need to" commit our safety's to stop the run. We will play the Arizona's, and need to be hitting on all cylinders with a nickel and a 2 deep shell, along with dime packages. 

What Freeman's return does more than anything (IMO), is help cover tight ends and backs running routes out of the backfield. 

True. Thought you were referring to playing a 2 deep shell with our corners in zone. I misread (misunderstood). Bad flashback. :)

Edit: .... the more I think about this, I believe you may be onto something. After all, this is the next logical step in the evolution of our defense. 

I would assume that we will respond to the 11 personnel with nickel coverage.  Who do you think will be on the field with Freeman in the nickel coverage?  Have we been using Mwamba?

I am with you man. It is only reasonable to expect the evolution of this defense to reach a 2 deep shell base. We do not want to always "need to" commit our safety's to stop the run. We will play the Arizona's, and need to be hitting on all cylinders with a nickel and a 2 deep shell, along with dime packages. 

What Freeman's return does more than anything (IMO), is help cover tight ends and backs running routes out of the backfield. 

Yeah kind of like the 49ers

How do you think we deal with this guy Marlon Brown they use out of the slot sometimes?  He's 6'5" so I think it's a bit of a mismatch for Darius Butler.  HTown Colt had mentioned somewhere earlier that we play Butler at safety in certain packages. If this is true I would assume we'd line up Purifoy or Jalil Brown on him since they are both 6'2".  Not totally sure! To me they view Brown somewhat like a semi-tight end with his size

I remember the Ravens using a 2 deep man to man shell a lot in the playoffs when they went to the Super Bowl if my memory serves me correctly. Especially against Peyton and Brady.

I would assume that we will respond to the 11 personnel with nickel coverage.  Who do you think will be on the field with Freeman in the nickel coverage?  Have we been using Mwamba?

I believe we will use DJ, because we still have to have a run stopper in there.

How do you think we deal with this guy Marlon Brown they use out of the slot sometimes?  He's 6'5" so I think it's a bit of a mismatch for Darius Butler.  HTown Colt had mentioned somewhere earlier that we play Butler at safety in certain packages. If this is true I would assume we'd line up Purifoy or Jalil Brown on him since they are both 6'2".  Not totally sure! To me they view Brown somewhat like a semi-tight end with his size

I don't believe Butler will struggle covering Brown. 

I remember the Ravens using a 2 deep man to man shell a lot in the playoffs when they went to the Super Bowl if my memory serves me correctly. Especially against Peyton and Brady.

Could be. I don't remember. 

I can see us starting to run more of it though. 

I think getting pressure on Flacco and stopping the run is key in this game from a defensive standpoint because if we don't do that then its Steve Smith on Toler and with only our Safeties behind him.

You and New Colts Fan are the only ones post that I ever take the time to read. great observations as always. Refreshing to see people actually know what they're talking about.

you can play man and have your safeties play a deep zone