Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Chapman

lollygagger8

I just watch the game the day of and try to watch. I could be wrong but though he was doing a good job taking up double teams and freeing up out backers

He looks solid to me against the run. We need to keep grooming Montori at NT and working Kerr there some in passing situations.

3 good Young prospects that can be VG for us for years to come.

I really haven't heard his name mentioned this season. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? 

Has he been the 900 lb safe in the middle of the field that Pagano called him?

From what I have seen he's been really solid and much quicker than I anticipated. He's a monster in the middle.

Yeah, they've gotten a lot of credit lately for having some NFL team clients and whatnot. And even Collinsworth is now a part owner, and is working with them. But I have to believe that a lot of that is for their charting and stat-keeping, and not so much their grading. Too often I look at a game or situation and have an impression, then look at PFF's grades, and find it to be completely different from what I thought I saw. Sometimes I'll go back and reconsider, and kind of see their angle, but not always. I don't dismiss their grading, as most of the time I can see what they see, and they spend a lot more time doing it than I do. They have a better grading system than I do. They presumably know the game better than I do. But sometimes, I just don't get it.

I think individual player grades are always going to be highly subjective, and when you don't know the specific assignment on a play or a situation, it's hard to give a meaningful grade. 

And that is the deal for me.  I do not know every offensive set, every defensive set, and what each player's responsibility is.  But I know every once in a while there will be a play where someone looks like he's not in the play, does move around but not trying to get involved.  Later some super smart analyst will applaud the guy for maintaining his responsibility, not stepping outside his duties trying to anticipate and make a play that was not within his assigned lane/zone/area etc.

Then later on recap shows they demonstrate a play (or many) that breaks might appear shutdown, but then breaks wide open because 'someone didn't stay home' or maintain their lane and allowed a score or copious amounts of yardage.

So I wonder do guys only get derided when they commit that gaff, or do they also get a token uplift to their grade because they 'did their job', even if doing so means don't get involved in 'this' play.  Unless.... it comes back to you.  It's easy to see if one loses his one on one mauchup, but the what about the less obvious?  I agree, so much subjectivity is involved.