Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patty Mac

lollygagger8

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when football players have fun on the field, without being disrespectful to the oponent..

Regarding last night's onside kick, i know we all wanted our coaches to be less conservative, but to go for an onside kick in first quarter with a 7-0 lead was absolutely unnecessary..

I didn't like that decision at all..

It took some balls. I think Patty Mac noticed some guys sleeping and wanted to go for it. I could be wrong though.

I love it when football players have fun on the field, without being disrespectful to the oponent..

Regarding last night's onside kick, i know we all wanted our coaches to be less conservative, but to go for an onside kick in first quarter with a 7-0 lead was absolutely unnecessary..

Yeah, that should have been saved for a better opponent.

I feel like you are just debby downer around here recently.

I think with an offense as good as ours played last week to go for it against the Titans with their backup quarterback in there playing after marching right down the field on them was the exact time to go for it.  That puts the seed of doubt in other teams all year. If that onside kick allows the off chance that Pat lays an egg on a kick off we get that extra step on the return team to make the stop.  Also the practice gained from using it in a game will be invaluable should the time come when we need one.

Onside kicks are not a guarantee, unless you talk to that high school football coach, so saving it for a better opponent makes no sense. Maybe a better opponent would have recovered it. You don't save onside kicks. You either do it or you don't. I liked it.

Onside kicks are not a guarantee, unless you talk to that high school football coach, so saving it for a better opponent makes no sense. Maybe a better opponent would have recovered it. You don't save onside kicks. You either do it or you don't. I liked it.

Obviously, but no we won't have the element of surprise for the rest of the season.

I feel like you are just debby downer around here recently.

I think with an offense as good as ours played last week to go for it against the Titans with their backup quarterback in there playing after marching right down the field on them was the exact time to go for it. That puts the seed of doubt in other teams all year. If that onside kick allows the off chance that Pat lays an egg on a kick off we get that extra step on the return team to make the stop. Also the practice gained from using it in a game will be invaluable should the time come when we need one.

I didn't think of myself that way, but just to asure you that everything i say is comming from best hope and wishes for the colts.. if it comes across as just complaining a lot, i'm sorry..

We obviously have completely diferent points of view regarding that onside kick, but i respect that.. obviously it turned out great for the colts, but i think it was unnecessary and high risk-low reward play, since the colts dominated already on offense and just got a turnover on defense..

We were playing an inferior Titans team -- even if they get the ball, I think our coaching staff was confident that we would be able to stop them or able to score enough points to beat them regardless if they scored.  By getting the onside kick, we took the wind out of their sails early and were able to force them to pass the ball, allowing for us to get after their QB (3 sacks and 5 QB hits it pretty good).  If we don't get the onside kick, we still beat them.  I like the call, it was a low-risk/high-reward play.

I don't think so -- you try a kick like that vs. a team like the Titans because you have confidence you can make the stop if you don't get it -- you don't try that on a team like Denver or Philly because if it goes wrong you're likely 7 points in the hole pretty quickly.

It took some balls. I think Patty Mac noticed some guys sleeping and wanted to go for it. I could be wrong though.

Doubt they give Patty Mac the privilege to audible our kickoffs.  That is something we probably practiced and prepared for during the week with the coaches saying "if we score and get up early, we're going to try this"

Agree -- though I think it was nice to use it against a team like the Titans (especially with a back up QB) because we have confidence we can stop them.  If we don't get that kick and we make a stop on D, it is no big deal that the kick failed.  If we were playing a team like Philly or Denver who we were having trouble stopping, the coaches look foolish if that kick fails and we give up 7 easy points.

Obviously, but no we won't have the element of surprise for the rest of the season.

To be honest, with the way most kickers can boot the ball out of the end zone so frequently now, I don't know why teams aren't always somewhat preparing for an onside kick as the chances for a return are becoming minimal and there isn't a need to get the blockers in place if the ball is going out of the end zone.  That said, on-side kicks in non-obvious on-side situations are always going to be tough to plan for.  I highly doubt teams are going to put their 'hands unit' on the field versus us in the first quarter because we tried one on-side kick.

So because we did one now, every team is going to game plan for a first quarter onside kick? C'mon man are you serious? Onside kicks are always a surprise unless done in an obvious 'need to' in order to win situations.

We were playing an inferior Titans team -- even if they get the ball, I think our coaching staff was confident that we would be able to stop them or able to score enough points to beat them regardless if they scored. By getting the onside kick, we took the wind out of their sails early and were able to force them to pass the ball, allowing for us to get after their QB (3 sacks and 5 QB hits it pretty good). If we don't get the onside kick, we still beat them. I like the call, it was a low-risk/high-reward play..

That's right, we were playing an inferior oponent and that play wouldn't have affected the final outcome and it didn't..

but i didn't like it cause it could be seen as mocking an inferior oponent while already in the lead..

Look, there's no right or wrong here, the play happened and some like it and i don't.. diference in opinion..

The beautiful thing on this onside kick was the coaches saw that in the first kickoff, the entire left flank of the Titans were 'cheating' back to block.  The cushion was about 7 yards.  This was not a trick play.  The Colts saw something they liked and ran with it.

Pat did a fantastic job with the kick, Jack Doyle did a great job with the block, and Mr. Hands made it a success as well.  Great play call!  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

The beautiful thing on this onside kick was the coaches saw that in the first kickoff, the entire left flank of the Titans were 'cheating' back to block. The cushion was about 7 yards. This was not a trick play. The Colts saw something they liked and ran with it.

Pat did a fantastic job with the kick, Jack Doyle did a great job with the block, and Mr. Hands made it a success as well. Great play call! :blueshoe::blueshoe::blueshoe:

Lol at mr. Hands :) aka "mr. Jazz hands"

The beautiful thing on this onside kick was the coaches saw that in the first kickoff, the entire left flank of the Titans were 'cheating' back to block.  The cushion was about 7 yards.  This was not a trick play.  The Colts saw something they liked and ran with it.

Pat did a fantastic job with the kick, Jack Doyle did a great job with the block, and Mr. Hands made it a success as well.  Great play call!  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

exactly, the titans special teams has had issues this season & the coaches cued into this ^^^ 

I actually (I kid you not) thought the Colts might try an onside kick during this game with the woes Tenn. has had on special teams...

exactly, the titans special teams has had issues this season & the coaches cued into this ^^^ 

I actually (I kid you not) thought the Colts might try an onside kick during this game with the woes Tenn. has had on special teams...

I will add that it was refreshing to see some excitement on kickoffs for a change.  Almost every kick goes through the endzone.

Kickoffs are not my beer break :)

That's right, we were playing an inferior oponent and that play wouldn't have affected the final outcome and it didn't..

but i didn't like it cause it could be seen as mocking an inferior oponent while already in the lead..

Look, there's no right or wrong here, the play happened and some like it and i don't.. diference in opinion..

I get this, but the onside kick happened early in the game when the Colts were just up 7-0, the game was far from being won at that point, so some aggressiveness to secure the win & continue building offensive rhythm etc. is far from a demoralizing beatdown of an inferior opponent...

Luck could have probably finished out the game & thrown for another 75-80 yards & another touchdown, racking up even further stats (ahem 2007 pats ahem...) but the coaches pulled him at the right time & let Hasselback & company finish the game out, so I don't see the onside kick as a "mocking" play, but I understand where one could see it that way...

The call I wasn't a fan of was Pagano trying to "ice" Phillies kicker on the game winning FG, never like that call, if your D can't make the crucial stop & allows a team to get into FG position in the last seconds of a game just let the kicker kick the FG...

I will add that it was refreshing to see some excitement on kickoffs for a change.  Almost every kick goes through the endzone.

Kickoffs are not my beer break :)

This is actually another point in Pat's favor. All those touchbacks from him booming it out of the back of the endzone completely eliminate any chance of a return game from explosive return men, which in turn shuts down a huge portion of the opponent's special teams game plan. In a game like football where all it takes is one missed blocking assignment to swing momentum, completely eliminating the chance for that to happen is a huge boon to special teams. 

Don't hate the touchback, cheer it like the fantastic thing it is.

Yes. Extra attention will be given to surprise onside kicks.

I don't think it's a big deal if it isn't a surprise.  I was listening to Big Joe Staysniak (former Indy Colts OL) on the radio last week.  I'm paraphrasing but he said any new play a team has to prepare for takes away four hours of practice time that could be spent on something else.  I don't know about anybody else, but I count that as a good thing.

I don't think MacAfee thinks it's a bad thing, either.

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Pat-McAfee-on-surprise-onside-kick-vs-Titans/87e0e8ee-44fa-4a8a-97d1-bd4390c45323

Perhaps I've developed a more calloused attitude in the past few years, but if we had to endure Ray Lewis's chicken dance on the field after we lost to the Ravens in the 2012 post season, the Titans can handle an onside kick when they were only down seven points with an entire game to play.  They had plenty of time to come back if they were able to do so.

:cheers:

Yes. Extra attention will be given to surprise onside kicks.

So now the always line up for an onside kick? OK we'll kick it back and get down there first. Do they line up normal but now hesitate? OK good. We kick it back and get down there first before they can set up their blocks. I don't see the problem here.

They trusted their D to be able to get a stop if Tenn recovered it.

So now the always line up for an onside kick? OK we'll kick it back and get down there first. Do they line up normal but now hesitate? OK good. We kick it back and get down there first before they can set up their blocks. I don't see the problem here.

They trusted their D to be able to get a stop if Tenn recovered it.

Wow.

I would consider it mocking maybe if we were up by 35 and did it, but we were up by 7 and it really helped us get a comfortable lead and stick to our game plan.

• 2 weeks later...