Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rob Bironas Dead At 36

ruksak

Former Tennessee Titans kicker Rob Bironas tragically passed away Saturday night in a single-car crash in Nashville, Tenn. He was 36 years old.

According to a Nashville Metro media release, Bironas lost control of the SUV he was operating and went off the road into several trees before turning upside down around 11 p.m. CT on Saturday. He was transported by an ambulance to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. There was no evidence of drugs or alcohol.

Bironas was married to Rachel Bradshaw, the daughter of former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw. The two wed in June.

Bironas holds the NFL single-game record for field goals after booting eight in a 2007 win over theHouston Texans. Bironas also holds the Titans' franchise-record of 11 game-winning kicks during his career, including a 60-yard game winner against the Colts in 2006. That kick remains the longest field goal in Titans or Houston Oilers history. He was released by the Titans after nine seasons with the club in March but recently tried out for several teams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000397626/article/former-titans-kicker-rob-bironas-dies-in-car-accident

Been watching the NFLN all morning and they haven't even mentioned this yet. 

If this was Vinatieri they'd be talking about it every 15 minutes. I guess you have to win the SB for your death to be worthy of mention. 

Rob was a hell of a kicker, who personally won many games just off the edge of his foot. Terrible to think he was alive just 11 hours ago.

RIP

1411295098000-wreck2.jpg

Slow down people. This is no way to go out. Never take your driving for granted, slow down. There's no evidence of alcohol at the scene. Speed is being mentioned as a suspected factor. 

Been watching the NFLN all morning and they haven't even mentioned this yet.

If this was Vinatieri they'd be talking about it every 15 minutes. I guess you have to win the SB for your death to be worthy of mention.

Rob was a hell of a kicker, who personally won many games just off the edge of his foot. Terrible to think he was alive just 11 hours ago.

RIP

1411295098000-wreck2.jpg

Slow down people. This is no way to go out. Never take your driving for granted, slow down. There's no evidence of alcohol at the scene. Speed is being mentioned as a suspected factor.

Looks like an absolutely horrendous wreck. Very unfortunate situation, sucks.......

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones. You never know when it is your time, that's why, no matter how little of a thing, whether going to the store, or out with friends, I always kiss my wife, and tell her I love her, because if, God forbid, something happens to either one of us while we are apart, the last thing I will have said, is that I love you.

New details emerging;

In an emotional 911 call, a woman at the scene of the fatal accident involving Rob Bironas described a troubling run-in with the former Titans kicker moments before he crashed.

The next morning, the woman and her husband gave police investigators a detailed account of an alleged road rage incident that may shed some light on the events preceding Bironas' tragic death.

Bironas lost control of the SUV he was driving while traveling at a high rate of speed Saturday night on Battery Lane, according to Metro police. The vehicle went off the road and hit several trees before landing upside down in a drainage culvert.

More: Rob Bironas, former Titans kicker, killed in car crash

Bironas, who played nine seasons with the Titans, was 36.

A Metro police spokesman on Monday said the investigation into the crash is "ongoing." Also on Monday, The Tennessean learned Bironas' wife reported him missing just before the accident occurred.

An autopsy was conducted Monday, but it could be several weeks before toxicology results are available. Police have said there was no alcohol at the scene.

It's been an emotional 48 hours for those who knew Bironas — the Titans' flag was at half-staff on Monday at the team's facility, and later that day Metro police released multiple 911 calls regarding the accident.

In one of the calls, received at 11:03 p.m. Saturday, a woman is describing the accident scene to a 911 operator when she hands her phone to another woman at the scene. The second woman tells the 911 operator that the white SUV tried to run her off the road.

"He is dangerous, he is drunk or something. He tried to start a fight with us,'' the woman said. "My husband ran down there to see what is going on. I just want to tell the police there is something wrong with him. He is dangerous, he is drunk or he is on drugs. There is something wrong with him. He gave us a mean look. We don't even know him, and he tried to run us off the road."

The woman reiterated that she and her husband did not know the man driving the white SUV.

"We let him go on past us because he was trying to run me off the road and we don't know who he was," she said.

Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said the witnesses were called back to the scene on Sunday.

The couple told police they were traveling southbound in the right lane on Franklin Pike between Woodmont and Battery Lane when an SUV in the left lane, driven by Bironas, attempted to merge into their lane.

"They said the driver swerved back, gave them a dirty look and got behind them and was behind them at the intersection on Franklin and Battery,'' Aaron said. "At the stoplight of Franklin and Battery, they said the white SUV was revving its engine behind them."

The couple then turned right on Battery Lane and partially pulled over to let the SUV go by them. According to Aaron, the SUV driver stared at them, and the woman's husband, a passenger in the vehicle, got out of the car.

"Then the white SUV accelerated away at a high rate of speed,'' Aaron said. "They paused a few moments, continued traveling on Battery Lane and came upon the crash."

Apparently Rob Was road raging, a behavior I abhor, and out of respect to his family, I'll withhold how I really feel about this. Suffice to say, karma dealt with him quite bluntly.  

• 2 weeks later...

Bironas was absolutely peeled behind the wheel when he crashed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-bironas-blood-alcohol-content-0-218-223752533--nfl.html

That's interesting, because the reports of him before he left the house are that he was not drunk or acting unusual.  It sounds like he left the house and got plastered really fast.  I do not understand that thought process at all.

That's interesting, because the reports of him before he left the house are that he was not drunk or acting unusual.  It sounds like he left the house and got plastered really fast.  I do not understand that thought process at all.

I'm thinking his wife may have omitted some facts. Like the possibility that he got tanked and they were fighting. It makes me furious that he was involving other motorists in his little tirade. Absolutely furious.