Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr Irsay's dilemma....

bluephantom87

With all due respect......

The first two games of the season were against tough opponents, and it's not like the Colts were blown out of the water.  They lost one game by a TD and the other by a FG.  

All off-season all we heard from some posters on here was how the Colts would go 19-0,  which was just as unreasonable as asking for the Coaching staff to be fired after two losses.

I fully believe the team will get it together and bounce back from these two losses.  I see a WIN today   :td:

True Gramz but in that Denver game if they went up tempo EARLY instead of waiting and getting behind BIG then the outcome might have been different. Don't forget about the 4th and 1 on the goal line against a stacked box. In the Philly game yes they were hosed on some bad calls in the end but they should've put that game away. Yes the run game was working early but I felt they went to the well too many times trying to play keep away and that Trent fumble deep in our territory was crucial. That's the problem I have with this staff TOO CONSERVATIVE!! Every game and possession counts.... The Colts could also be 2-0. I don't know maybe the approach will change. I just hope this is not long term because soon all those comebacks from being down big will start turning to losses. 

True Gramz but in that Denver game if they went up tempo EARLY instead of waiting and getting behind BIG then the outcome might have been different. Don't forget about the 4th and 1 on the goal line against a stacked box. In the Philly game yes they were hosed on some bad calls in the end but they should've put that game away. Yes the run game was working early but I felt they went to the well too many times trying to play keep away and that Trent fumble deep in our territory was crucial. That's the problem I have with this staff TOO CONSERVATIVE!! Every game and possession counts.... The Colts could also be 2-0. I don't know maybe the approach will change. I just hope this is not long term because soon all those comebacks from being down big will start turning to losses. 

Fair enough.   Hopefully today's game will be the start of turning things around.

How cleaver! Thanks for your FOOTBALL insight. I see you can call signals! :facepalm:

C'mon, man....all kidding aside....would you kindly consider paragraphs if you're going to post dissertations like that? By all means speak your mind here....I do....at least what's left of it. Just give that enter button a pop every few lines....if you please. :lecture:

As for the team and this 0-2 start....yeah, that last series of play calls vs. Philly was a head-scratcher and the 1st half vs. Denver was pretty ugly for our defense. We're fighting the injury/suspension bug and have, for the most part, a young team and coaching staff that is still trying to mesh. And we faced a Peyton Manning who....I guarantee you....had that game circled.

Yet we're still 3-4 plays and a couple of drunken ref calls away from being 2-0....in which case Pep and Chuck would be hailed here as championship caliber coaches and our roster as 53 total beasts.

IMO....neither extreme of praise or doom is warranted, and more time is needed.

Not an unlimited time, mind you....so I'd say that if in one more calendar year we see either a missed 2014/15 playoff or a successful playoff berth with another step taken.....then we take our queues from that.

Any calls at present or prior to this season for the GM/coaching staff's heads are ridiculous....but 3 full seasons and playoffs (hopefully) will tell us if we need a new approach or just minor tweaks.

Fair enough?

They didn't fire Bruce they chose not to renew his contract when it was up because they wanted to go back to more of a ground and pound style BUT from all reports Todd's dad had long worked for the Rooneys back in the day and Todd grew up around Steeler nation. Sorry basketballsteve maybe it came out wrong because I didn't mean to praise the Steelers about Bruce and his moxie, I was KNOCKING them because Ben or the offense hasn't been the same since he left.  

point taken, peace.

I don't think it is time to panic but it is going to be a tough uphill climb to the playoffs.

As for Coach Chuck, he is average at best and underwhelming.

And Pep is still learning to call plays in the NFL against good caliber NFL D coordinators...it is uncertain as to when he gets up to speed.

I think it's too soon to start calling for any jobs, but I do agree the coaching across the board has been lackluster at times. We've won in spite of it, which makes it hard to justify calling for heads to roll just yet. I think if we under perform this season without a playoff appearance (when heading into the season we were favorites to win the division and play deep into the post season) people who make the important decisions will at least start to take notice. I think Manusky would be the first to go, should anyone lose their job this off-season 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, September 22, 2014 - saying he's going to violate site rules by promoting another board here
Hidden by Nadine, September 22, 2014 - saying he's going to violate site rules by promoting another board here

This is a message board about Colts football!!! Some will agree on certain points SOME will not. Like anything in life you will be evaluated in some form or another fair or not. (job performance, personal conduct etc.) I'm sure Chuck, Pep and Mac are ALL upstanding citizens (like Tony D and Caldwell before them) but THIS conversation is based on COACHING STYLE, PLAYCALLING and SCHEMES vs. PERSONNEL and TALENT AT HAND!!! If my or ANYONE else's OPINION is different from yours THEN SO BE IT!! When I START reading a thread I don't agree with I either go on to the NEXT one or I keep reading to see DIFFERENT VIEWPOINTS or angles. I don't know ANYONE'S background on this board. Some MIGHT be more QUALIFIED than others to talk football (former players or coaches at any level etc.) but at the end of the day MOST are Colt fans and have a PASSION for their team. I will say again when national sports media start using words like trust in "this" staff as far as playcalling and schemes ESPECIALLY when concerning the use of Luck or "perceived"  bust status of T Rich. (who did ok last week) Make no mistake about it IF the Colts lay an egg or STRUGGLE against the PITIFUL Jags; then you won't have to worry the "perceived" negativity on THIS board because you will have to turn off your tv from ALL the heat this STAFF will take from sports media.   P.S  The whole dilemma is do you hold on to this staff too long (like the Polian years) or do you make CHANGES for the better of Luck and the team. Keep in mind the previous regime also won but some felt (including the OWNER) they wasted some of Peyton's best years with coservative play in the playoffs where as THIS STAFF uses that type of play in the REGULAR season.

Hey there Mr "I use bold, caps, and exclamation points to yell at posters"......Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I have never said any different. But the definition of trolling has been lost on this board. You may not agree with it's definition, as it seems many here do not, but that doesn't make it not so. But have no fear, this board becomes more negative every week. Curious, do you admit that you come here to vent in my poll?

To those who I respect here who have tried to uphold respect for the team....I salute you. I am working on a Colts forum and in the next year, I will contact those by PM who may want to post in an environment that doesn't allow constant venting. Adieu.

Lol... so you like the guy who is conservative, has questionable game management, has forced players in lineups (Satele, Richardson), but you don't like the OC who lowered our offensive mistakes and upped their efficiency (without pretty much everyone last year) and the DC who without 2 of his best players kept us in the game with the 2 top offense's in the NFL?

Good lord does anyone just stop relax and take a breath on this forum?

Guess you are fairly new to this forum?  That is all this forum seems to be about lately... people (who more times that not don't watch the games) way over-reacting for no reason so they can pile up posts and anger people that actually watch the games.  You'll get used to just taking it with a grain of salt...  or you'll fall into the trap everyone seems to by replying to fuel their fire.

This staff is subpar and to strive for GREATNESS changes sometimes have to be made SOONER than LATER. 

Until last week,  this coaching staff has gone two straight years without back-to-back losses.    The ONLY coaching staff in the NFL to accomplish that.

And while we lost the first two games,  we lost to very good teams, one of which played in the Super Bowl last year.

This staff is just fine.

The defense isn't great because we put more of our resources into the offense to protect and support a franchise quality quarterback.

The defense is being built 2nd.    I'm expecting a serious commitment to the defense this coming off-season.

We might even have a serious commitment to the defense for the next two off-seasons.

This staff is actually quite good.

And at the end of this year,  I expect we'll end up with 10-11 wins, an AFC South title and a win in the first round of the playoffs before getting knocked off.

A perfectly acceptable year.

Guess you are fairly new to this forum? That is all this forum seems to be about lately... people (who more times that not don't watch the games) way over-reacting for no reason so they can pile up posts and anger people that actually watch the games. You'll get used to just taking it with a grain of salt... or you'll fall into the trap everyone seems to by replying to fuel their fire.

Nope just fell in the trap... usually just post in NFL General because of this. Dunno why I would think it would change.

It's time for some of Grigson's guys to start establishing themselves as stars and big time contributors.  Hilton has been good but inconsistent, the tight ends are inconsistent.  Our best players and best leaders are guys left over from Polian in Mathis and Wayne.  Grigson doesn't get credit for taking Luck because that was a no brainer.  His trades and free agent signings have been pretty average.  Vontae has been his best addition outside of Luck.  But guys like Heyward-Bey, Landry, Walden, Richardson, Thomas, Bradshaw just can't stay healthy or aren't producing as much as they should. Redding was a good signing but that was mostly Pagano.

I think this forum has become a cesspool of negativity, who cares what head they call for. There is no basis of validity....only selfish whining.

Amen.

I remember many pre-Peyton years with a team so bad that the season was effectively over after the first 5 or 6 games and a 'good year' was when there were enough other teams so much worse than the Colts that we could effectively back our way into a wild card spot.

Now, I have a team that has dominated their division for a decade, a team where a playoff spot is practically a given, and a team that has managed to replace a HOF quarterback with a youngster that is potentially of the same caliber. Panicking over a 1-2 start or a few set-backs reminds me of a spoiled kid throwing a tantrum because he didn't get a pony for his birthday.