Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'Mr. 500'

oldunclemark

I'm trying to remember the details... Favre got a high-low hit... came out for a play or two, right?

Was that the game he ended with that God-awful, thrown across his body, on the run INT when he could have run for the first down and a FG attempt?

Yup the Vikings should have won and the Colts would have 2 superbowls.

Yeah but Brett played 10 years in an era where you could be physical with wr's....very physical I might add.....Peyton played 4....'98-'02....Favre '92(his first start came that year) to 2002....That certainly don't take away anything either has done but its not a fair comparison

Yeah but Favre never even got close to having a kind of year that Peyton had last year, or even the year Peyton had in 2004. The most TDs Peyton has ever had in a single season is 55, Favre 39. The most yards Peyton has had in a single season 5477, Favre 4413. I don't think a tad extra emphasis on Defensive pass interference makes up for that big a difference. Peyton is about to close in on 500 TD passes 3 years younger than when Favre did.

Forget defensive pass interference...what about stat inflation? Comparing 1996 stats to 2013 stats is just absurd. Favre won the SB that year btw. I can't stress enough that Peyton deserves to get to 500, will get to 500, would have gotten to 500 without the breaks etc etc etc but do people think Brett freaking Favre wouldn't throw 50+ TDs in today's game?

What about the schedule? Favre's 5 team division usually had a 7-9 5th place team to go along with the Cowboys and 49ers regular season games every year in addition to the playoffs.

Forget defensive pass interference...what about stat inflation? Comparing 1996 stats to 2013 stats is just absurd. Favre won the SB that year btw. I can't stress enough that Peyton deserves to get to 500, will get to 500, would have gotten to 500 without the breaks etc etc etc but do people think Brett freaking Favre wouldn't throw 50+ TDs in today's game?

What about the schedule? Favre's 5 team division usually had a 7-9 5th place team to go along with the Cowboys and 49ers regular season games every year in addition to the playoffs.

You make it sound like Favre played in 1880.

He played in this era.

Yeah but Favre never even got close to having a kind of year that Peyton had last year, or even the year Peyton had in 2004. The most TDs Peyton has ever had in a single season is 55, Favre 39. The most yards Peyton has had in a single season 5477, Favre 4413. I don't think a tad extra emphasis on Defensive pass interference makes up for that big a difference. Peyton is about to close in on 500 TD passes 3 years younger than when Favre did.

and only oldtimers Brees and Brady are in the neighborhood..

....I dont think anyone in the 'new generation' of QBs is going to approach any of the 3...

//because QBs like to run and get knocked out now...

and only oldtimers Brees and Brady are in the neighborhood..

....I dont think anyone in the 'new generation' of QBs is going to approach any of the 3...

//because QBs like to run and get knocked out now...

Matt Ryan is on pace to be in the neighborhood. He has great targets and they play indoors on turf. He has to stay healthy though

Yeah, i acknowledged that in my first post that he has to stay healthy.

No. Its not just stay healthy..he has to play past 40..2 different things

..he has to very, very good to still be starting at that point..healthy or not...few are

Like Manning and Brady are..

Ryan's not that guy, I do not belive..He'll be replaced long before he's 40, in my opinion

No. Its not just stay healthy..he has to play past 40..2 different things

..he has to very, very good to still be starting at that point..healthy or not...few are

Like Manning and Brady are..

Ryan's not that guy, I do not belive..He'll be replaced long before he's 40, in my opinion

Based on what? The kid is very good.

He is very good.

But to be starting and tossing 40 TDs a season when he's in his late 30s, he has to have big season AND win every years like Brady

and Manning do..

....I cant predict the distant future but since he's had a losing season..in his prime....I would guess there will come a time in

his 30s when it may happen again. Wghen his recivbers left with injuries..he couldn't win with backups something manninga nd Brady have done repeatedly. I dont think he has the touch of Manning and Brady. Just my opinion.

But even if he wins Super Bowls like Big Ben or Eli..

An over 30 QB with a losing season..they start calling for him to be replaced like they have for Ben and Eli..

..that's something that never happens to Manning and Brady (except on message boards like this)

In short...Last season in Atlanta is why I dont think Ryan will be starting when he's 37 like Tom Brady or 38 like Peyton.

Last season in Atlanta is actually 1 reason why I think he will be starting. He was the 1 guy who didn't get hurt and he kept that team playing hard unlike the other teams who went through hard times. People forget (or refuse to talk about) how even Peyton Manning's Colts had a bad year there in the middle (2001) after he'd long been the instilled quarterback. I predict that Ryan will be a winner like Manning for years to come.

The records? Idk but I do think Peyton's records will fry by many (not all) unworthy guys because of the rules.