Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Today's NFL: Corrupt ot Not?

King Colt

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't even need to be a gender issue if you ask me.  Crime = Punishment  Assault a person, any person and you get punished.

But the media gets mad if you don't treat women as special snowflakes.  

Umm, not just the media.  Ever hear of Title IX?  Sometimes things do need to be changed.

I agree that big profitable entities should be left to use our capitalistic concepts to thrive and grow.  But not completely without oversight and limits.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

haha  someone shared this with me today.   I thought it appropriate for this thread, given the fact that  the "two sides" on this topic will NEVER see eye to eye....  

10701940_10154693530405019_4432320256045

Without reason and compromise, there will be no resolution.  The Commissioner has teams together.  I think the media should lay low and let his teams do their work.  I heard they have a target date near the Super Bowl.

I heard a former player on one of the NFL shows say that the directors of security for different teams would tell the players in they get pulled over for DUI, don't take the breathalyzer, call us and we will smooth things over.  They would also give the players instructions on handle other off the field issues.  The idea would be that the teams would help the players lessen the damage.

I heard a former player on one of the NFL shows say that the directors of security for different teams would tell the players in they get pulled over for DUI, don't take the breathalyzer, call us and we will smooth things over.  They would also give the players instructions on handle other off the field issues.  The idea would be that the teams would help the players lessen the damage.

I don't doubt that happens. If this story is true, though, then the Ravens have been lying to the media and fans.

Finally..........   I'm not sure how much arrogance it takes to write this sentence....

"It's time to stop repeating what you hear on the TV and think for yourself. So let's hear it, think for yourself and answer."

Really?     I disagree with you and come to a conclusion you don't like so clearly I can't think for myself?

I realize you're in love with your own opinion....    but I wouldn't presume to insult someone here as you just did me....

Next time you wonder why me, or other people here don't respond to your arrogance and ignorance it would help if you remember this exchange.

Let's see if at your age,  you know how to own your own.....   stuff....

I'm betting no.........

That was quite rude of me and I honestly didn't intend to type such a pointed thing. I apologize. I truly didn'tmean to come off so arrogant and righteous. I'll probably back away from the heated aspects of this discussion. Obviously a polarizing issue and I got the bends after diving too deep into it. 

You wrote, it is a "subject that affects all women across the board in very DIVERSE and severe ways." Given that, isn't it appropriate to have a diverse panel? I don't think her question was inappropriate at all.

Not diverse as in race but in the types of abuse that occur. I think it is absurd to try and turn this topic into something it is absolutely not and completely unrelated. How in the world would having a black woman or an Asian or Indian or various races in there make any difference because the abuse is the same regardless of race m the reasons are the same. It was completely inappropriate and she shouldn't be allowed back in if she is going to try and turn things into race. This is the reason why we can't seem to get away from race being an issue cause people like her try to find any reason they can to bring trace into every single issue.

That doesn't make any sense. If you refuse, you get arrested and they will charge you if you don't submit to a blood test. They can actually get a court order for your blood draw without your permission if I'm not incorrect. I seriously doubt the cops, supreme egos as they are, would barter with an NFL team trying to spring one of their players. 

Not diverse as in race but in the types of abuse that occur. I think it is absurd to try and turn this topic into something it is absolutely not and completely unrelated. How in the world would having a black woman or an Asian or Indian or various races in there make any difference because the abuse is the same regardless of race m the reasons are the same. It was completely inappropriate and she shouldn't be allowed back in if she is going to try and turn things into race. This is the reason why we can't seem to get away from race being an issue cause people like her try to find any reason they can to bring trace into every single issue.

Wow. You sure seem angry and outraged. Where is that coming from? It sure seems over the top. I did not hear the question but from what you reported, it does not seem like something that should elicit such outrage and anger.

A casualty of emotion is reason. You don't sound reasonable at all.

That doesn't make any sense. If you refuse, you get arrested and they will charge you if you don't submit to a blood test. They can actually get a court order for your blood draw without your permission if I'm not incorrect. I seriously doubt the cops, supreme egos as they are, would barter with an NFL team trying to spring one of their players. 

Money talks

Wow. You sure seem angry and outraged. Where is that coming from? It sure seems over the top. I did not hear the question but from what you reported, it does not seem like something that should elicit such outrage and anger.

A casualty of emotion is reason. You don't sound reasonable at all.

It annoys me to no end when people try to make race an issue out of a subject that had nothing to do with race. I've dealt with these kind of people alot. On nearly every subject it seems someone is always saying there's not enough minority or there's to many minority. I'm pretty sure on this topic everyone was thinking about all battered women being equal in this, but no this chic has to take the attention of the real issue at hand, the important one, and making it all about her. Its selfish and always is.

It seems pretty reasonable to me to hope to have a conversation about a serious subject without some * turning it into race.

It annoys me to no end when people try to make race an issue out of a subject that had nothing to do with race. I've dealt with these kind of people alot. On nearly every subject it seems someone is always saying there's not enough minority or there's to many minority. I'm pretty sure on this topic everyone was thinking about all battered women being equal in this, but no this chic has to take the attention of the real issue at hand, the important one, and making it all about her. Its selfish and always is.

It seems pretty reasonable to me to hope to have a conversation about a serious subject without some * turning it into race.

Race discussions will get this thread pounded shut quick. We're already tip-toeing between the lines of social/political. 

So your assertion is that the Ravens had a plan in place to bribe police officers? Sounds a bit too Hollywood to me. 

Ya know ruksak, if it were any other place than NJ....and of all places, Atlantic City, where the "olive oil business" has thrived for decades....I'd probably agree with you.

With the exception of Rice's brutality in that elevator video, we simply don't know what we don't know....yet....other than the fact that this occurred in possibly the filthiest, generationally corrupt toilet of a city there is.

I don't know what or who to believe anymore.....but if something like this could happen anywhere....AC is the place.

So your assertion is that the Ravens had a plan in place to bribe police officers? Sounds a bit too Hollywood to me. 

It happens, I would not be surprised. There are reasons some athletes (usually big name athletes of course) who get in trouble get by with probations of various sorts(Or what was called Pre Trial Diversion Program in Cam Newtons rather then being charged with theft) case and other minor reprimands or get a 1 game suspension......or less while joe shmoe sits in jail awaiting a trial and upon getting convicted in said trial does harder time in a county jail or prison then that big time athlete.......

Money and and the fact that he is a well known name, Do I think the Ravens necessarily did that? No not at all, Do I think that it goes on? I sure do. Money and being a well known individual carries a lot of weight in our countries society....As to the Cam Newton scenario I was just giving an example not trying to rehash an old story as a means to call his current self into question

That was quite rude of me and I honestly didn't intend to type such a pointed thing. I apologize. I truly didn'tmean to come off so arrogant and righteous. I'll probably back away from the heated aspects of this discussion. Obviously a polarizing issue and I got the bends after diving too deep into it. 

Apology gladly and gratefully accepted!   So, instead of you disappearing,  why don't you stick around and post.

All is forgiven and forgotten.

I've been posting on Internet Fan Message boards (Stanford) since 1999.    And, I find that roughly once a year I make a post I deeply regret and ask myself....  "What was I thinking?!?"     Ultimately,  I think these boards produce lots of passion and it's easy to get carried away.    We all do.

So, stick around and enjoy the ride.    It's about to get really interesting around here!

Apology gladly and gratefully accepted!   So, instead of you disappearing,  why don't you stick around and post.

Glad you were big enough to take an apology. I didn't say I was out of this conversation. Just that I'll avoid the more touchy aspects, and chill with the browbeating comments. I try to draw the line when I start getting heated with long time posters that I respect and have corresponded with via postings here for many years. We're on the same team, literally. It's not worth forming long term disdain with respected fellow members just to espouse my oft times staunch and unwavering opinion. 

I have some blindness here myself I'll admit to. I have passion for this league, and it provokes an emotional response from me when I see it being attacked so vigorously, in what smacks me as a somewhat unfair assessment of what really went wrong. It also bothers me when I hear people talking like firing Roger solves anything, as if his leadership had anything to do with this. I'm not sure anyone else would've made a bit of difference. If the owners wanted any real accountability, they would've stood up a long time ago. Frankly, they've been forced toward accountability.

At this point, I'd rather players just get kicked from the league (permanently) for violent offenses. I'll give a guy a pass or two for silly misdemeanors like drug use and public intox. But violent crimes, I have little patience for such people. 

I like the trend I'm seeing from the NFL, and hope to see the same dynamic take root in our society. Where we lighten our grip on drug offenses and stiffen our grip on violent offenders. 

I thought it was a little odd too, however having not ever been arrested for DUI before I am not familiar with the ins and outs of it.  Maybe the security, ex FBI and police I believe, have connections that they can use.

I thought it was a little odd too, however having not ever been arrested for DUI before I am not familiar with the ins and outs of it.  Maybe the security, ex FBI and police I believe, have connections that they can use.

Connections like you speak of *can work in regard to the court system. Gaming the system post-arrest is nothing new, nor unseen today. However, regarding the law enforcement side of things, there's nothing the Ravens could do to prevent the arrest from taking place, save for appearing on scene with a briefcase full of cash for a crooked cop. A scenario most unlikely. 

A cop/department with integrity....evidently easier to find in Carmel, IN than Atlantic City, NJ.

But putting that aside....was Jimmy even coherent enough to offer a bribe? :dunno:

Cops are going to take you to jail on a DUI charge now days. They almost have to with the invent of dashboard cameras. What happens during prosecution is another story. But with social media and TMZ the good ole boy days are over for the rich and famous

It happens, I would not be surprised. There are reasons some athletes (usually big name athletes of course) who get in trouble get by with probations of various sorts(Or what was called Pre Trial Diversion Program in Cam Newtons rather then being charged with theft) case and other minor reprimands or get a 1 game suspension......or less while joe shmoe sits in jail awaiting a trial and upon getting convicted in said trial does harder time in a county jail or prison then that big time athlete.......

Money and and the fact that he is a well known name, Do I think the Ravens necessarily did that? No not at all, Do I think that it goes on? I sure do. Money and being a well known individual carries a lot of weight in our countries society....As to the Cam Newton scenario I was just giving an example not trying to rehash an old story as a means to call his current self into question

Please cite examples of athletes getting lighter sentences than an every day guy with no priors.

You said money talks. As far as some getting off easy, that's speculation

Cam Newton got off with no charges filed against him for theft for stealing a laptop at Florida, He only had to complete a court approved pre trial program though was suspended by Florida before he transferred http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/college/cam-newton-lame-laptop-thief

Cops are going to take you to jail on a DUI charge now days. They almost have to with the invent of dashboard cameras. What happens during prosecution is another story. But with social media and TMZ the good ole boy days are over for the rich and famous

And that's a good thing for both the cops and citizens....the legal process after the fact, needless to say, is indeed badly in need of work. That's where the $$$$ that wealthy/connected folks have, who can hire a legion of lawyers with it, often receive lesser punishment on offenses like Irsay's.

We'll see what happens with DUI's and stuff like that....but with domestic violence cases, after this Rice case?

All bets are off.

This Rice case could be the case where layers of stench.....beginning with Rice's beating of the girl, the NFL's clumsy handling of it, and alleged monkey business between a NJ police department and prosecutor's office and the Ravens front office and ownership have them ALL wind up dirty.

Corruption and associated favors are not uncommon business where all this took place....they are damn near accepted practice. I certainly can't prove that any of that happened....but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it comes to light.

Love em' or hate 'em....or both....the media is only too happy to dig up what they can. We'll see where it goes. :???:

Cam Newton got off with no charges filed against him for theft for stealing a laptop at Florida, He only had to complete a court approved pre trial program though was suspended by Florida before he transferred http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/college/cam-newton-lame-laptop-thief

Did you read your own article? He was arrested and charged with theft.

They were dropped after he completed the pre trial program. Those sorts of deals aren't uncommon even among us average folks assuming you have no priors

Did you read your own article? He was arrested and charged with theft.

They were dropped after he completed the pre trial program. Those sorts of deals aren't uncommon even among us average folks assuming you have no priors

I said that he was arrested and had to complete a pre trial program, Yes he was charged but those charges were dropped, I also know that there are programs like that to avoid jail time, However I think Indiana Law is inconsistent with it, Have no idea about Florida

I said that he was arrested and had to complete a pre trial program, Yes he was charged but those charges were dropped, I also know that there are programs like that to avoid jail time, However I think Indiana Law is inconsistent with it, Have no idea about Florida

Indians is very consistent with it for first time offenders and those willing to enter the programs.

A cop/department with integrity....evidently easier to find in Carmel, IN than Atlantic City, NJ.

But putting that aside....was Jimmy even coherent enough to offer a bribe? :dunno:

Lol, you should watch the Indy news.....has not been a good year for Indy/Indiana police.

Lol, you should watch the Indy news.....has not been a good year for Indy/Indiana police.

Uh oh....there too, huh? Every city has their rotten apples.....I don't doubt it.

Jimmy must have gotten arrested by an honest cop, it looks like....but he did way better in the courts than the rest of us peasants would have.

You still have not entered the definition. There are several downloads available you could install that would check your spelling for you.

thus  (phonth.gifubreve.gifs)

adv.
1. In this manner: Lay the pieces out thus. See Usage Note at thusly.
2. To a stated degree or extent; so.
3. Therefore; consequently: Thus it was necessary for me to resign.
4. For example: Few of the nation's largest cities are state capitals; thus neither New York nor Chicago is the seat of its state's government.
[Middle English, from Old English; see to- in Indo-European roots.]