Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tight Ends

SLILLINGTON10

I had a random thought about these big basketball tight ends (J.Thomas, J.Graham, ect)  Basically Landry or whoever else can't keep up with these guys on the goal line and we get killed. What if we put one of our big TE on them in just in the goal line defense when we know it is going to be a jump ball? I wouldn't mind fleener or maybe doyle taking some DB reps in practice so they can at least compete for these jump balls as opposed to Landry and company just standing and watching. I know it will probably never happen, but i feel like putting a PG (Safety) on a C (TE) just won't win the rebound/jump ball battle and soon the NFL will try something like this. Thoughts?

It's not as easy as simply putting a big body on a big body.  Defenders do a lot of moving backwards and need to be able to react quickly whereas offense is acting on time.  Not only that, but then you'll be forcing one of our TEs to give up some practice time at TE and make him take reps at DB/LB where he would have to learn from almost nothing.  Furthermore, you'll be forcing them to learn the entire offensive playbook, plus some goalline stuff of the defense.  That can be confusing and overwhelming

It's not as easy as simply putting a big body on a big body.  Defenders do a lot of moving backwards and need to be able to react quickly whereas offense is acting on time.  Not only that, but then you'll be forcing one of our TEs to give up some practice time at TE and make him take reps at DB/LB where he would have to learn from almost nothing.  Furthermore, you'll be forcing them to learn the entire offensive playbook, plus some goalline stuff of the defense.  That can be confusing and overwhelming

i get where you are coming from, i would not be asking them to play both sides of the ball the whole game, just a couple of defensive plays on goal line/short yard situation. that is why i think maybe doyle would be the best bet because he doesn't get a whole lot of first team reps with the offense anyway. also most of these guys have played basketball and are fairly athletic, i imagine they can cover short distances pretty well. i really think it will take some outside the box thinking to stop J.Thomas, Graham, or even Gronk. we can't give those guys 3 tds a game against us and expect to win.

I can see what your saying about having them use a bigger body to guard a bigger TE. There's an alternative to that though. You have to control your guy at the line on scrimmage. This could require bigger CB's. Playing defense in football is different from basketball. The area's in which players have to coverage are larger in football. Awareness is what's lacking in our defense. It's D'Qwell's 3 game to get things right.

i get where you are coming from, i would not be asking them to play both sides of the ball the whole game, just a couple of defensive plays on goal line/short yard situation. that is why i think maybe doyle would be the best bet because he doesn't get a whole lot of first team reps with the offense anyway. also most of these guys have played basketball and are fairly athletic, i imagine they can cover short distances pretty well. i really think it will take some outside the box thinking to stop J.Thomas, Graham, or even Gronk. we can't give those guys 3 tds a game against us and expect to win.

It would still take a lot of work for them to learn how to cover, backpedal, jam at the line, etc.  But I get what you're saying

I think the refs are throwing enough flags as it is...........

Good point. If you put a basic offensive player into defensive mode the learning curve is huge. The key to keeping the big TEs from catching the up in the air passes starts with putting pressure on the QBs. Graham, Gronk and a few more TEs are superior athletes with size and strength. Just putting a big man on them would not stop them.

Good point. If you put a basic offensive player into defensive mode the learning curve is huge. The key to keeping the big TEs from catching the up in the air passes starts with putting pressure on the QBs. Graham, Gronk and a few more TEs are superior athletes with size and strength. Just putting a big man on them would not stop them.

well i think with mathis shut down, QB pressure is going to be hard to come by. Also i understand it won't stop those guys but i am hoping it would slow them down or at least make them work for it.