Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning to Irsay:"I don't need to be highest-paid player"(TAKING PAY CUT) (Merge)

coltsuser21

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He probably means he sees something in the D that is not accounted for in the blocking assignments so he false starts so they can discuss the D and reset.

I think it's just an excuse they have millions of line calls and most of the time when he gets a penalty at his home stadium so I don't want to hear that crowd noise makes him do it.

Yeah and I say we upgrade at RB with Bradshaw who can block, catch, and run better than addai. Then stretch the field with Moss. That's just my personal opinion.

Really you want to upgrade one of the best offenses in the league and leave our defense mid to lower-tier? That doesn't make any sense if you ask me. We need DEFENSE!

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning insisted today that he isn’t driven by the desire to be the NFL’s highest-paid player and has no interest in being the reason the Indianapolis franchise is unable to make various roster moves.

His desire is to finalize a long-term contract – sooner, not later – that ensures the Colts are able to field a championship-caliber team, he said.

Manning conveyed that directive Thursday during a meeting with owner Jim Irsay and vice chairman Bill Polian, who is negotiating Manning’s contract with agent Tom Condon.

“While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player,’’ Manning told The Indianapolis Star, “I told him I’d rather he save that money and keep whoever it is . . . Joe Addai, Charlie Johnson, whoever that may be.

I’m willing to take less than they’ve offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players.’’

Manning also instructed Irsay, Polian and Condon to get the contract done. Now.

“Today, tomorrow, definitely by Sunday,’’ he said.

THIS IS THE LINK(GOOD NEWS)

Thank you Peyton and bless you. And Condon, get busy and get it done NOW.

Really you want to upgrade one of the best offenses in the league and leave our defense mid to lower-tier? That doesn't make any sense if you ask me. We need DEFENSE!

I totally agree that we need Defense but I don't want to over pay for DT's. Hopefully we will find guys on both sides of the ball. We need to be able to run the ball and when we figure that out Peyton will be more deadly than ever.

I think it's just an excuse they have millions of line calls and most of the time when he gets a penalty at his home stadium so I don't want to hear that crowd noise makes him do it.

Interesting response. No one says anything about crowd noise and yet you mention it like some one has. Why introduce a red herring rather than discuss the part that, "doesn't make sense" to you.

I totally agree that we need Defense but I don't want to over pay for DT's. Hopefully we will find guys on both sides of the ball. We need to be able to run the ball and when we figure that out Peyton will be more deadly than ever.

And that all starts with the front line and getting leverage on the opposing D.

Wow....how many people have said that Peyton would never do this, and it sounds as if he's at least trying to work out a contract thats in his teams best interest. I am one of those people that said he would never enter a negotiation in such a way. Manning just went up a few notches.....and I didn't think I could regard him any higher.

G_G Peyton.

Excellent news, all around. Obviously, it helps the team and we fans appreciate hearing this.

I believe it is also good for Manning. For what it's worth to him, it boosts public opinion of him, if it weren't high enough already. Manning is also a competitor and truly wants to win, as this action shows.

I believe this is also potentially better for Manning financially, long term. Here's how. If he were to finish his career with 3 or 4 Super Bowl rings instead of the one, then along with his personality and clean image this drives his long term endorsement earnings ever upward. As an example, Arnold Palmer was one of the highest paid athletes in the 80s, long after his competitive golf was over, because of his popularity (Arnie's army), image and name recognition. I think the same could well happen for Manning over the next 25 years. That's a long time to rake in endorsements.

How about this, Mr. Irsay. Pay him $1 more than Brady gets.

Bring on the season.

lmao, please feel free to watch this video on NFL.com.

I had a thread before the boards switched about how much respect I lost for La Canfora, well this video even goes further into why this guy just talks out of his butt.

Good for Manning though, he truly is a caliber person, and easily my most respected athlete.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82112f59/article/manning-willing-to-take-less-money-to-do-deal-assist-colts?module=HP11_headline_stack

Excellent news, all around. Obviously, it helps the team and we fans appreciate hearing this.

I believe it is also good for Manning. For what it's worth to him, it boosts public opinion of him, if it weren't high enough already. Manning is also a competitor and truly wants to win, as this action shows.

I believe this is also potentially better for Manning financially, long term. Here's how. If he were to finish his career with 3 or 4 Super Bowl rings instead of the one, then along with his personality and clean image this drives his long term endorsement earnings ever upward. As an example, Arnold Palmer was one of the highest paid athletes in the 80s, long after his competitive golf was over, because of his popularity (Arnie's army), image and name recognition. I think the same could well happen for Manning over the next 25 years. That's a long time to rake in endorsements.

How about this, Mr. Irsay. Pay him $1 more than Brady gets.

Bring on the season.

shoot let them splurge. Pay him $2's more then Brady. He deserves it.

It's not really a pay cut for Manning, as he HAS no salary as of this minute. It'll be a pay cut from his Franchise tag, but he hasn't signed that and most players sign for less (for that year) than the tag is typically worth. Not to mention he could still take more than he made before.

OH MY GOSH! I could make love to Peyton right now...If he wasn't married...and if I wasn't straight.

Ok, nevermind. I'm not making love to him, but I still love him! :FBcheesy:

Mr. Manning, taking one for the team, and not giving a crap about union.

thats why edwards would be a good fit

I hope you're not meaning Ray Edwards?

Actually, I hope you're meaning neither. We do not need Braylon Edwards. Reggie, Dallas & Austin are both better than him and Pierre and Blair are competent receivers. If we were to waste cap space on him, i'd seriously give up on the front office guys.

Fans sometimes... :rolleyes2:

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning insisted today that he isn’t driven by the desire to be the NFL’s highest-paid player and has no interest in being the reason the Indianapolis franchise is unable to make various roster moves.

His desire is to finalize a long-term contract – sooner, not later – that ensures the Colts are able to field a championship-caliber team, he said.

Manning conveyed that directive Thursday during a meeting with owner Jim Irsay and vice chairman Bill Polian, who is negotiating Manning’s contract with agent Tom Condon.

“While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player,’’ Manning told The Indianapolis Star, “I told him I’d rather he save that money and keep whoever it is . . . Joe Addai, Charlie Johnson, whoever that may be.

I’m willing to take less than they’ve offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players.’’

Manning also instructed Irsay, Polian and Condon to get the contract done. Now.

“Today, tomorrow, definitely by Sunday,’’ he said.

THIS IS THE LINK(GOOD NEWS)

Awesome.

This will do as much for defining him as anything he does between the lines. I'm also glad he set the record straight on the information feed.

This just proves to me that Manning really IS the astute businessman that is so opposite of the bumbler he portrays himself to be. Once he signs a contract like this, taking LESS than his market value to help his team, his marketing value will skyrocket. If you thought sponsors wanted him in the past, they will be all over him now! And his sponsor $$ will SOAR. So while he will take and make less from the Colts on this contract, he will probably end up making more than he would have in the sponsorship area...and that is where the real dollars come into play! This could end up being a VERY shrewd and clever move for Peyton, and make it easier on the Colts.

Well played, Peyton, well played!

This just proves to me that Manning really IS the astute businessman that is so opposite of the bumbler he portrays himself to be. Once he signs a contract like this, taking LESS than his market value to help his team, his marketing value will skyrocket. If you thought sponsors wanted him in the past, they will be all over him now! And his sponsor $$ will SOAR. So while he will take and make less from the Colts on this contract, he will probably end up making more than he would have in the sponsorship area...and that is where the real dollars come into play! This could end up being a VERY shrewd and clever move for Peyton, and make it easier on the Colts.

Well played, Peyton, well played!

Let's just wait and see HOW much EASIER he makes it on Indy...

If you thought sponsors wanted him in the past, they will be all over him now! And his sponsor $$ will SOAR. So while he will take and make less from the Colts on this contract, he will probably end up making more than he would have in the sponsorship area...

Peyton Manning the T-shirt! Peyton Manning the lunch box!Peyton Manning the breakfast cereal! Peyton Manning the FLAMETHROWER!

Peyton Manning the T-shirt! Peyton Manning the lunch box!Peyton Manning the breakfast cereal! Peyton Manning the FLAMETHROWER!

Yep, and this is why I really can't understand why Manning wont just take the league average or a little more. He makes more from endorsements than 75% of the QB's in the NFL do from their base salary.

How much is enough? I can't wait to see what he finally signs for.

Exactly. If he's talking about making enough room for Addai and CJ & others.....that sounds significant. I'm sure it's not a blank check but I'm curious to see where it settles.

Yes, he mentioned Joe and Charlie by name... they "should" demand at least 4-5 M per on the open market. We shall see.