Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass rush options.

beavis

I'm imagining a scenario where its clear that we cant establish a consistent pass rush with what we have.  How long do we wait before reaching that conclusion?  What other options are there for this season, and what would the cost be.  Do we ride this season out with what we have, for better or worse, and address the problem in the offseason.  Again I am just imagining, hopefully I am wrong.

If the Colts cant generate a pass rush against the Eagles O-line which has 2 starters out then I would look for Grigson to start making moves immediately.  Which of course would have this forum in a frenzy because any major moves would likely involve trading draft picks...

So lets hope we see some type of pass rush from the from 7 so we can avoid the Tuesday morning melt down....

I think we just have to get a little more creative -- our front 3 are much better than they were last year with the addition of A. Jones another year under Chapman's belt and I think Kerr is an improvement over McKinney (at least as far as generating a pass-rush is concerned).

I think we are also better at LB overall -- losing Mathis hurts for sure, but Bjoern looks to be much improved, Walden looks improved, D'Qwell has struggled a bit against the pass but I think he is better than what we had next to Freeman last year, and McNary should be improved with another year under his belt.

Last year, we relied pretty much solely on an outside pass rush from Mathis - he had a monster year and even if teams tried to double/triple team he, he could still beat it or cause enough havoc to create pressure.

With an improved front 3, our LBs should have more room to roam and create pressure thru the middle -- if we can do that (McNary was a very good pass-rusher in college, and I think the staff thinks he can do the same in the NFL), it should force other OLines to focus on protecting the middle and hopefully allow Werner, Walden, Newsome to generate some pass rush against single or no blockers. 

My biggest concern at this point is staying healthy -- I think we'll be OK without Freeman for a little bit if McNary and D. Jackson stay healthy and Walden and Werner should be able to hold down the edges.

However, Werner struggled with injury all last year and McNary has been struggling with injuries lately.  At one point, I thought our LB's were the 2nd deepest part of our roster (after WR), but now we have our 2 best LB's from the past few years out with injury (not to mention Cam Johnson, one of our more versatile backups), I am a little nervous to think about what happens if  we lose another LB or 2.