Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts play question

12isthenew18

So I was given a project were we have to find a system and I wanted to do the play where T.Y. took the lead on kansas city in the wild card game but I don't know its name or the defense they played. If you know any of this or route changes depending on how the defense sets please tell me for school

NFL.com's video system is really bad.  Here's a YouTube video (the play comes at 6:42):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZxSANhjCag

Formation is shotgun trips bunch left in 10 formation (1 RB, 0 TEs).  I don't know the specific blocking scheme the Colts use here.  KC comes out with 2 down lineman, 3 LBs (4 if you classify Berry as a LB in this play), and 6 DBs (5 if you call Berry a LB here).  It looks like they're in man coverage as you can see Eric Berry play man defense on Donald Brown, who it looks like runs an out route as a checkdown/safety valve option for Luck.  The Chiefs rush 4 and drop everyone else into coverage.  Hilton obviously runs a 9.  It's difficult to tell the rest using highlight videos.  If you have access to the all-22, that'll really help.  It's also hard to know if the routes would change depending on the defense just by looking at this one play.  You would have to look at how the Colts ran these routes against a different defense and see if there are any differences.  I want to say the Chiefs were in man-under with a cover 2 shell and that's how Hilton was able to get between the two safeties, but again, it's hard to say without the all-22.

I also may have made a few mistakes here, so I'm sure other members will be able to correct what I said wrong

The blocking scheme seems to be just a normal pass blocking scheme. Possibly a slide to the left "different teams use different terms" we always used "Liz" as our left slide protection. D Brown goes to the right to help if needed but is on a delayed route.

KC only sends 3 at first mainly to the right and then 1 more guy on a delayed rush to the left side.

Again like SuperMan said it is hard to tell exactly from highlight video but that what I could get.