Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The league's heaviest roster

21isSuperman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000392510/article/seattle-seahawks-have-nfls-lightest-roster

A league press release listed Seattle's roster with an average weight of 242.26 pounds, a lower figure than 31 other squads and far below the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL's heaviest team at an average 252.26 pounds.

We have 15 players who weigh 300 lbs or more, which is the most in the league.  It's interesting to me how we went from being typically undersized with Polian and Dungy to now being the heaviest in the league.  Does this mean anything?  For years, we wanted bigger guys on the team, claiming they could stop the run better and not be as injury prone.  Unfortunately, the injury prone part does not seem to have changed.

Hawks r the lightest

Yet, they're one of the most physical teams and are excellent at stopping the run and running the ball.

Keep in mind this could also be skewed by things like the Colts keeping an extra DL on the roster while the Hawks may have kept an extra RB or WR.  So it may not necessarily be that we have bigger players since this is an average

The heaviest roster question vs lightest roster question is sort of silly if you ask me.  It's mostly going to depend on how many linemen on both sides of the ball each team carries on it's roster.  

The team that is carrying extra linemen is going to naturally end up with the "heaviest roster".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000392510/article/seattle-seahawks-have-nfls-lightest-roster

We have 15 players who weigh 300 lbs or more, which is the most in the league.  It's interesting to me how we went from being typically undersized with Polian and Dungy to now being the heaviest in the league.  Does this mean anything?  For years, we wanted bigger guys on the team, claiming they could stop the run better and not be as injury prone.  Unfortunately, the injury prone part does not seem to have changed.

Yeah, but is it smoking Phat or just fat as in heavy? LOL! Personally, I like a thicker o-line & d-line for both dishing out & withstanding physical punishment. Go from a finesse speed squad in the past to a drop the Thor sledge hammer now. I like our new mentality from Polian to Grigson now.  

Yet, they're one of the most physical teams and are excellent at stopping the run and running the ball.

Keep in mind this could also be skewed by things like the Colts keeping an extra DL on the roster while the Hawks may have kept an extra RB or WR.  So it may not necessarily be that we have bigger players since this is an average

One player too big does not skew a 53 man roster.

If you take a look at the chart,  it breaks everything down and you'll see how and why we're so big.

I'm not at all happy about being the heaviest team in the NFL.

I wish we were not quite so big.

And I'm not happy that we're also not that tall of a team.    Many other teams are taller.

So, the combination of being the heaviest and not very tall,  I don't think is a great combination.

But,  this is what we've built.....

I read ya 21st on the injury ailment front though my man. "Unfortunately, the injury prone part does not seem to have changed.

We already had another topic on this very subject recently, but I gotta admit it troubles me. Our strength & conditioning coach Roger Marandino seems legit credential wise.

"Marandino also holds two years of experience as the graduate assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of Connecticut from 1993-95. His focus was mainly on the school’s football, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s soccer and baseball teams. During his stay, Marandino was a Health, Fitness and Weight Training Instructor at UConn for the Department of Exercise, Sport and Leisure."

--From Colts.com under coaches.

UCONN has a great Men's & Women's Basketball program. So, if Mr. Marandino played a vital role there in training athletes there nutrition & endurance wise hopefully INDY will be okay. 

it wouldn't have mattered how many pounds the players have if the defense played well.. big or small, nothing seems to work in indy..

maybe it's time to stop salivating at players' measurements (because now we want to be big) and start watching if a certain guy can play football.. then after that whether he's injury prone or not..

it wouldn't have mattered how many pounds the players have if the defense played well.. big or small, nothing seems to work in indy..

maybe it's time to stop salivating at players' measurements (because now we want to be big) and start watching if a certain guy can play football.. then after that whether he's injury prone or not..

To paraphrase Bill Polian, size has nothing to do with it.  It's about skill.  It's foolish to base evaluations on size

Put a highly skilled 260 lb guard out there and see what happens

It's all about how you use them and how they use their talents.  Gary Brackett was 235 lbs, but could play very well during his peak years.  Pat Angerer is 236 lbs and he's been really good when healthy.  You obviously can't put a 150 lbs left tackle out there and expect him to protect your QB, but there are many guys who have been deemed "too small" and wound up having great careers.

It's all about how you use them and how they use their talents.  Gary Brackett was 235 lbs, but could play very well during his peak years.  Pat Angerer is 236 lbs and he's been really good when healthy.  You obviously can't put a 150 lbs left tackle out there and expect him to protect your QB, but there are many guys who have been deemed "too small" and wound up having great careers.

IMO those two players were mediocre. I get that smaller players can play, but size does matter more often than not.

IMO those two players were mediocre. I get that smaller players can play, but size does matter more often than not.

I think that's being very kind, especially to Brackett.  

the whole "heaviest team" thing is going to be skewed, if anything, by the fact that the offense mostly utilizes a man-blocking scheme on the OL (which requires bigger, stronger linemen) and a hybrid 3-4 defense (which also utilizes bigger, stronger linemen and LB's).  

It's a reversal change of Philiosophy.  Polian / Dungy states that Big and Fast guys are gone before mid 1st round.  So their choice was a 4 - 3  cover two Defense with smaller but fast guys with a get after the QB and a swarm to the ball mentality.  Now we run a 3-4 defense, and their choice is the Big but slower guys. Hold your ground and clog it up. From what I've seen, it's pretty much been a wash overall as far as effectiveness.  Hopefully we can improve more, because the Defense is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde-esque.

We have 15 players who weigh 300 lbs or more, which is the most in the league. It's interesting to me how we went from being typically undersized with Polian and Dungy to now being the heaviest in the league. Does this mean anything? For years, we wanted bigger guys on the team, claiming they could stop the run better and not be as injury prone. Unfortunately, the injury prone part does not seem to have changed.

It means that regardless of having the biggest lines, we still can't open run lanes or penetrate O lines. That's bad

Its very interesting...what it means is that if your a great football player...it probably has much less to do with the size of your arms and more with the size of your heart (not to pick on laron...just saying). Meaning hard work, skills, athleticism, studying game tape etc...and not being some physical speciman. I like our bigs on our DL. I think we have some talent there with Jones, Redding, Chapman, and liking the new kid Kerr. That said in some other areas like LB I don't think it is as important if you are fast to read the play and strong in your tackling technique. OL-wise I like big guys but if they are too slow to get off their man and get to the second level it doesn't help much in the run game. It should help in short yardage but pass protection sometimes I like more athletic lineman.....oh well...all in all I think these type of statistics are pretty meaningless...I'd be more worried about being the oldest team in the league than the biggest.