Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Johnson put on IR/signed OLB Chris Carter

MTC

No kidding. Has there been another team in the past 5 years or so that has lost arguably their best player on offense and their best player on defense in consecutive seasons? We are simply un - Luck - y when it comes to injuries.

Sorry....   but Reggie Wayne was not our best offensive player last year.

The Quarterback was.       Not to take anything away from Reggie.    He's Andrew's favorite receiver.     But he was not our best offensive player.

from what I read the problem may have been his ability to learn LeBeau's D

Could be with all that complicated zone blitzing and what not.  If Grigs could get this guy going I'd say look out because he gets

around that edge in a hurry it seems like. If it works out I'd say it's an upgrade over Cam Johnson at the very least.

If it doesn't then you already know Grigs will be on to the next one.

Could be with all that complicated zone blitzing and what not.  If Grigs could get this guy going I'd say look out because he gets

around that edge in a hurry it seems like. If it works out I'd say it's an upgrade over Cam Johnson at the very least.

If it doesn't then you already know Grigs will be on to the next one.

agreed

This guy is a replacement for Cam Johnson to me.  I wouldn't be shocked if we bought in one more pass rusher as well maybe in a trade or something with a little bit more kick to it.  Just guessing here.....

Exactly. A back end, rotational pass rusher / special teamer. Glad to have him, hope he plays well, but he's not meant to be our savior.

As a matter of fact, the plan is the same as it always was for the first four games. No Mathis = no Mathis, regardless of the reason why. I welcome a meaningful addition to the roster, especially a pass rusher, but let's see what Werner and the boys can do. 

Cato June was not a pass rusher, way too light in the butt for this scheme.  Wasn't even all that physical to me, but he had great hands for the interception.  He was a safety in college that we converted into a linebacker.

I don't see one dude that we have now that Cato June could beat out in a 3-4 scheme

Exactly. A back end, rotational pass rusher / special teamer. Glad to have him, hope he plays well, but he's not meant to be our savior.

As a matter of fact, the plan is the same as it always was for the first four games. No Mathis = no Mathis, regardless of the reason why. I welcome a meaningful addition to the roster, especially a pass rusher, but let's see what Werner and the boys can do. 

In 2014 we stand to be saved by the group effort.  I don't think there's going to be one guy to key on in all likelihood.

Gonna have to scheme it up real good with the blitz and get some 4 man pressures when we can. Werner has improved but I'm just not certain how much that is as far as the impact on the game.  Haven't seen a great deal yet, but I'm going to give it more time considering we were playing Peyton.  I do think he is much better against the run, but the pass rush he brings is to be determined.

Yeah 9 years ago... What's he done since? He's older and slower. Highly doubt he'd help us much

The person you replied to was being sarcastic. I'm positive of that. However you said he wasn't a pro bowler, I was pointing out that he was in fact a Pro Bowler. If you thought I was for signing him you were mistaken, that would be lunacy at this point in time.

Cato June was not a pass rusher, way too light in the butt for this scheme.  Wasn't even all that physical to me, but he had great hands for the interception.  He was a safety in college that we converted into a linebacker.

I don't see one dude that we have now that Cato June could beat out in a 3-4 scheme

No one was serious about Cato June, at last check he was a High School Football coach.

The person you replied to was being sarcastic. I'm positive of that. However you said he wasn't a pro bowler, I was pointing out that he was in fact a Pro Bowler. If you thought I was for signing him you were mistaken, that would be lunacy at this point in time.

No one was serious about Cato June, at last check he was a High School Football coach.

It was just my general thoughts about Cato since the subject was brought up.  I don't think he was serious.

I think also whats being lost here with the whole Mathis going down discussion as well as the recent pick up is that Walden had a sack and it came off Clady late in the 4th Quarter

I think also whats being lost here with the whole Mathis going down discussion as well as the recent pick up is that Walden had a sack and it came off Clady late in the 4th Quarter

That's because, as another poster put it in a different thread, Walden is "nothing but overpaid trash." We're not allowed to acknowledge anything that he does well, because everyone hated him when he got signed in 2013.

No I never said he wasn't ever a pro bowler. I said he was mediocre. Which he is at this time. He is far past his pro bowl year shape and play. Its been almost a decade. He's no longer a pro bowler.

I live in Fresno & I am very familiar with Carter. He went to Fresno St., He was a hand on the ground DE here, and he was VERY GOOD. He is a natural pass rusher with very good speed, hand use, and strength, was even pretty good against the run.. Coming out of college he was undersized, probably went about 240 to 250, was drafted by Pitt., to be a rush LB and for whatever reason he didn't play much there. I think he was behind some talented guys there. I do know this about Carter, if the guy wants to still play, he is or was a VERY GOOD PASS RUSHER. which we need! My hope is it works out for him and the Colts!!

That's because, as another poster put it in a different thread, Walden is "nothing but overpaid trash." We're not allowed to acknowledge anything that he does well, because everyone hated him when he got signed in 2013.

I don't mind Walden, over paid probably, but he tries hard,& runs around. What I find intrusting to me is I think he rushes the passer better than advertised and sets the edge worst than advertised?

I live in Fresno & I am very familiar with Carter. He went to Fresno St., He was a hand on the ground DE here, and he was VERY GOOD. He is a natural pass rusher with very good speed, hand use, and strength, was even pretty good against the run.. Coming out of college he was undersized, probably went about 240 to 250, was drafted by Pitt., to be a rush LB and for whatever reason he didn't play much there. I think he was behind some talented guys there. I do know this about Carter, if the guy wants to still play, he is or was a VERY GOOD PASS RUSHER. which we need! My hope is it works out for him and the Colts!!

It jumps off the tape when you look at it.  Hopefully the Colts can bring the best of him out.

I don't mind Walden, over paid probably, but he tries hard,& runs around. What I find intrusting to me is I think he rushes the passer better than advertised and sets the edge worst than advertised?

I think he has the toughness and tenacity to set the edge, but he sometimes over commits or crashes down too far. I have no issue with his ability there, but the discipline is sometimes lacking.

And yeah, he isn't an absolute dud as a pass rusher. Not that he's great, but he's somewhat serviceable.

I don't think I've watched him play, but reading up on him, it looks like he got placed on IR in 2012, then got buried behind Jarvis Jones in 2013. Didn't make final cuts this year. But the scouting reports suggest that he's a premier level athlete who knows how to get after the QB. I hope he sticks, and gets some real reps for us so we can see what we have. Would have been nice to have him in camp and preseason, knowing that. I might go back and watch the preseason game he started this year...

I think he has the toughness and tenacity to set the edge, but he sometimes over commits or crashes down too far. I have no issue with his ability there, but the discipline is sometimes lacking.

And yeah, he isn't an absolute dud as a pass rusher. Not that he's great, but he's somewhat serviceable.

From the link I posted it seems like this was a little problem for Carter. Being a 4 year guy I guess they didn't like that. Thinking they could get same production from younger guys. Maybe he just needs a change in scenery like Hughes did.

West Coast here to my brother and I too remember Carter. I see a lot of west coast football. I remember watching the kid play who could forget the name.  I thought Pitt got a real steal in the 5th round. He can get to the quarterback or could and should have spent 3 yrs learning to stand up in the 3-4. I know he had some injuries early on. 19.5 career sacks in college good number. I think 11 his SR yr.

I am not saying he is going to replace Mathis. Obviously that isn't going to happen but I am surprised we were able to find someone with this upside. The kid can play I have seen it. I am not sure what happened in PItt don't really care.

I am anxious to see what he can do in the horseshoe. Maybe a change in scenery a little different scheme is all he needs. A situational pass rusher. 

I'd  keep an eye on Josh Mauro on the Pitt PS as well. He is another Stanford boy. He can get to the QB from DL had a really good preseason nearly made their 53 man roster. We need pressure from where ever we can get it.

http://youtu.be/iMVtxfRt8ok

I found a small video on Carter. I'm not sure what the issue has been in the pros, but I will say that this dude gets to the quarterback in a hurry. Very fast around the corner....

He had a club on his hand the lady half of the film... Smh.. Another injury prone player.. ;)

But really this guy is a pure speed rusher it seems!

I don't think I've watched him play, but reading up on him, it looks like he got placed on IR in 2012, then got buried behind Jarvis Jones in 2013. Didn't make final cuts this year. But the scouting reports suggest that he's a premier level athlete who knows how to get after the QB. I hope he sticks, and gets some real reps for us so we can see what we have. Would have been nice to have him in camp and preseason, knowing that. I might go back and watch the preseason game he started this year...

I went back and watched him against the Bills (His preseason start), He only got in there 11 plays before he was pulled, He shows a quick first step...which I think would be even quicker but he appears to be slow to diagnose run or pass in certain formations/down and distances, He shows the raw ability to drop back and a short zone (agile in my opininion) but showed the tendency to keep looking back to the spot where he was going...whether that's looking for an offensive player or not I don't quite know but I think he has a strong chance to stick around, Raw athletic ability is there but he is raw from what I could tell