Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign RB Dion Lewis

MTC

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't tell if this is a serious post or not.  I was talking touches... I assume the 4 or 5 will be KO returns and maybe PR.

I was all for signing a potential depth OLB and I saw in another thread after I posted that Grigs signed some other bottom feeder to replace Johnson, and for the record I don't have a problem with signing a bottom feeder, that is all a team can get this time of year.  And I don't have a problem with this signing other than it makes no sense.

If he contributes it makes sense...that was all I was getting at. It may not need to make sense to us right now...we don't know what is going on in practice or what the coaches think in who will step up...perhaps he has trades working and we are just addressing other needs...all in all this seems like a signing that isn't a big deal either way until this guy gets on the field and does something. I have no issue with it or any other like you said....but I'm sure it makes sense...if we were on the inside of the Colts facility.

There is a reason nobody is rushing to grab him

Isn't built to be an every down back or a between the tackles rb, also...Like Brown James just does not have the size to be an affective blocker...I think he is actually smaller then Brown and not a ton quicker. .6 seconds. Just my opinions

We shouldve went after Lamichael James if we were going after RB's

..... Why?

We're the poor man's 49ers according to what Pep wants to do on offense

Power running....... James doesn't fit that bill

Surprised Chip didn't get him for an Oregon reunion but guess Sproles took that role

There is a reason nobody is rushing to grab him

He's just recently been released. I am sure some team will get him. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but there could be teams in negotiations with his agent for his services as we speak.

Then again, there couldn't. We'll see.

..... Why?

We're the poor man's 49ers according to what Pep wants to do on offense

Power running....... James doesn't fit that bill

Surprised Chip didn't get him for an Oregon reunion but guess Sproles took that role

Pep is so confused he has no idea what he wants to be. 9 carries by our backs total in the entire game. Someone needs to throw him a life vest

He's just recently been released. I am sure some team will get him. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but there could be teams in negotiations with his agent for his services as we speak.

Then again, there couldn't. We'll see.

He had to clear waivers to become a free agent, meaning every team already passed on him once. At best he's taking a pay cut for a change of scenery.

found off stampede blue...

Lewis was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles (and Ryan Grigson) in the fifth round of the 2011 draft out of Pittsburgh.  In college, he rushed for 2,850 yards and 30 touchdowns in two seasons at Pittsburgh, averaging over 5 yards per carry and also adding 405 yards and a touchdown in the receiving game.  He played in 24 total games in the 2011-12 seasons for the Eagles, rushing 36 times for 171 yards and 2 touchdowns (averaging 4.8 yards per carry).  He also returned 31 kickoffs for the Eagles in 2011, averaging 21.6 yards per return.  In 2012, he returned just one kick for 33 yards.  He was traded to the Cleveland Browns in the 2013 offseason.  This preseason, he rushed 12 times for 30 yards in 4 games and caught 5 passes for 16 yards and a score.

Lewis was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles (and Ryan Grigson) in the fifth round of the 2011 draft out of Pittsburgh. In college, he rushed for 2,850 yards and 30 touchdowns in two seasons at Pittsburgh, averaging over 5 yards per carry and also adding 405 yards and a touchdown in the receiving game. He played in 24 total games in the 2011-12 seasons for the Eagles, rushing 36 times for 171 yards and 2 touchdowns (averaging 4.8 yards per carry). He also returned 31 kickoffs for the Eagles in 2011, averaging 21.6 yards per return. In 2012, he returned just one kick for 33 yards. He was traded to the Cleveland Browns in the 2013 offseason. This preseason, he rushed 12 times for 30 yards in 4 games and caught 5 passes for 16 yards and a score.

So we signed him why.. ...

Lewis was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles (and Ryan Grigson) in the fifth round of the 2011 draft out of Pittsburgh. In college, he rushed for 2,850 yards and 30 touchdowns in two seasons at Pittsburgh, averaging over 5 yards per carry and also adding 405 yards and a touchdown in the receiving game. He played in 24 total games in the 2011-12 seasons for the Eagles, rushing 36 times for 171 yards and 2 touchdowns (averaging 4.8 yards per carry). He also returned 31 kickoffs for the Eagles in 2011, averaging 21.6 yards per return. In 2012, he returned just one kick for 33 yards. He was traded to the Cleveland Browns in the 2013 offseason. This preseason, he rushed 12 times for 30 yards in 4 games and caught 5 passes for 16 yards and a score.

In other words, this is a Grigson guy that he liked when he scouted and wants to give a second chance while simultaneously putting a fire under Richardson that his replacement is on the roster.

Pep is so confused he has no idea what he wants to be. 9 carries by our backs total in the entire game. Someone needs to throw him a life vest

He could not run the ball much after the 1st 2 Denver drives...we already were down 10-0.......Our first 3 drives only yielded 14 total offensive plays....Denver had 16 plays.....On the 1st drive of theres alone....We only had the ball for 10:29 of that first half...They had the ball over 9 more minutes in that 1st half....The offense had only 3 1st downs in our 1st 4 drives compared to 17 1st downs on the Broncos 4 drives

Great signing, loved his play in Cleveland. Fast and caught the ball well, I remember him impressing me. Fumble issues though.

Yeah 3 fumbles is a bit of a reason for pause in 106 total carries counting his preseason games, Hopefully he can get that down here, Though if that average holds true given the role(very limited touches) he will likely have here I don't forsee an issue unless it translates ino his return duties which I think he will start out getting

Yeah 3 fumbles is a bit of a reason for pause in 106 total carries counting his preseason games, Hopefully he can get that down here, Though if that average holds true given the role(very limited touches) he will likely have here I don't forsee an issue unless it translates ino his return duties which I think he will start out getting

I don't understand the signing he isn't a PR or has no history as one. Unless something has happened in our backfield I don't get it.

I like the signing of Lewis.  Although I did like Tipton as well he's somewhat similar to Herron.  

Now we have a good mixture of running styles so it's an upgrade I think we needed.

I don't think he's here to upgrade the KR as I am not sure that is even going to be all that big for us this year.

So far in every game we've played from the preseason to this point each kicker has kicked the ball out of the 

end zone.  I think Lewis could be a KR, but I don't think it's going to be a real big priority for us.

As far as punt return is concerned I think we should give Loucheiz a try at it.

funny thing about TRich trade. Everyone remains steadfast in the belief the Colts got fleeced by the Browns. This ultimately may turn out the case, but we got TRich for last season ( yeah, I know but work with me here) and this season for the 26th Pick. The Browns packaged #26 to move up to get Manziel at #22 who gave them nothing last season (obviously) and is riding the bench today. TRich hasn't emerged big time, and I know we might have picked an impact player at 26, but as of today it's way too early to judge the trade IMO at least.

26th pick ... By Eagles = Marcus Smith - LB - Louisville

I say let's see who's better in 2 to 3 years, Marcus Smith or Trent Richardson, before we can accurately gauge who got the better of this roundabout swap.

I say let's see who's better in 2 to 3 years, Marcus Smith or Trent Richardson, before we can accurately gauge who got the better of this roundabout swap.

I'm under the impression that it doesn't matter who the other teams pick with our traded pick, rather we should compare T-Rich with the best available player that WE could've drafted. Essentially, that's what we gave up, our right to draft a player. Could've been a pass rusher, O-Lineman, Safety etc...

I'm under the impression that it doesn't matter who the other teams pick with our traded pick, rather we should compare T-Rich with the best available player that WE could've drafted. Essentially, that's what we gave up, our right to draft a player. Could've been a pass rusher, O-Lineman, Safety etc...

I consider such to be fallacy and unfair comparison. There are almost ALWAYS good to great players to be had after the fact, unless a team hits a very rare home run.

FACT = Colts traded the 26th player selected and that player turned out to Marcus Smith, whom I know nothing about.

(NFL.com pre draft analysis = "BOTTOM LINE A high school quarterback turned pass rusher who broke out with 14.5 sacks as a senior (1.12 sacks-per-game average led nation), Smith projects as a pass-rushing, 3-4 right outside linebacker in the pros. Should contribute initially on passing downs and has eventual starter potential as his game becomes more well-rounded." ... In the Eagles' 1st game he was active but did not play.)

If you want to be really more critical in analysis, maybe you can look at picks 26, 27, & 28 ... and maybe 29th, but I think such is a fools gold analysis. I mean look at how many teams in particular years could have had Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, yada yada yada .... entirely unfair retrospective comparison.

Barbarino-500x337_zpsd7323d8e.jpg

Doesn't John Travolta look like a member of the Bee Gees who partied too much at disco clubs, got addicted to drugs, & was kicked out of the band? 

This better not happen.

I agree we better not part ways with Bradshaw or TR due to this most recent RB addition of Dion Lewis.

Great signing, loved his play in Cleveland. Fast and caught the ball well, I remember him impressing me. Fumble issues though.

I trust your judgement Nobody. Speed always comes in handy on the ground as long as he doesn't cough up the ball when his services are needed the most. 

Matt Millen is comparing this kid to HOF RB Barry Sanders. Be careful man, don't make that comparison lightly. Don't nonsense me man. I revere Sanders don't tease me man or give me false hope. Is this a football comparison from your 49ers SB winning days or a foolish front office stance from your former chair as President of the Detroit Lions? The 1st one I trust not the second one. 

Lewis is decisive in hitting the hole, letting his blockers create the crease, & running toward daylight, but he doesn't have Barry Sanders change direction on a dime capabilities which made Sanders a 1 of a kind RB. He is a darn nice addition to the Colts based on his college video highlight reel there. He looks good to me. 

Not a bad group with Bradshaw, Richardson, Lewis, and Herron.  Now I'd love it if we would actually put these guys to use

A nice combo of workhorse & scat backs there. I want see Herron used more in the 1st half because I need to see how good he really is. He usually gets inserted too late when the game is already decided. Not fair to someone trying to judge how good or not so good he truly is to me. 

my post was about the premise that the Browns fleeced us, and not who we may have taken if we stood pat. I even clarified this by mentioning that while we may have received an impact player at 26, I'm simply questioning the notion that the Browns made out big time at our expense. As I see it, we at least have a starting back (and had him a year early) and the a Browns so far have only gotten publicity and it remains to be seen if Manziel will be a worthwhile player.

Doesn't John Travolta look like a member of the Bee Gees who partied too much at disco clubs, got addicted to drugs, & was kicked out of the band? 

I agree we better not part ways with Bradshaw or TR due to this most recent RB addition of Dion Lewis.

I trust your judgement Nobody. Speed always comes in handy on the ground as long as he doesn't cough up the ball when his services are needed the most. 

Matt Millen is comparing this kid to HOF RB Barry Sanders. Be careful man, don't make that comparison lightly. Don't nonsense me man. I revere Sanders don't tease me man or give me false hope. Is this a football comparison from your 49ers SB winning days or a foolish front office stance from your former chair as President of the Detroit Lions? The 1st one I trust not the second one. 

Lewis is decisive in hitting the hole, letting his blockers create the crease, & running toward daylight, but he doesn't have Barry Sanders change direction on a dime capabilities which made Sanders a 1 of a kind RB. He is a darn nice addition to the Colts based on his college video highlight reel there. He looks good to me. 

I agree SW1!  I chose that highlight on purpose because of the comment.  I wanted to see what peoples reaction would be. To me Lewis is a good back, but he's more similar to Vick Ballard in my eye as far as moves are concerned than Barry Sanders in any way. He's got that patient "I don't rush because I'm going to make you miss in the hole anyway" style similar to Vick and maybe someone else. I think it will be a good couple games before we see anything out of him due to the learning curve and of course Boom Herron.

A nice combo of workhorse & scat backs there. I want see Herron used more in the 1st half because I need to see how good he really is. He usually gets inserted too late when the game is already decided. Not fair to someone trying to judge how good or not so good he truly is to me. 

True

I wish I could see a highlight reel of Lewis running in Cleveland. I only pay attention to Joe Thomas on the o-line since he played at UW-Madison. I don't really pay attention to the Browns that much otherwise. 

I like RB Ben Tate now in the dog pound too. 

I think you'd have to pull up every Browns preseason clip you can find and watch it for a while. One thing I can say for Lewis I've noticed since he hit the league. He's got the same thing going on that Donald Brown had with the blocking schemes.  He played behind a man blocking scheme in college doing a lot of similar runs that we do in this offense.  However I noticed in Philly and Cleveland they always had him playing in a zone scheme different than what he excelled at in college. I wonder what a return to familiar grounds will be like?

If he contributes it makes sense...that was all I was getting at. It may not need to make sense to us right now...we don't know what is going on in practice or what the coaches think in who will step up...perhaps he has trades working and we are just addressing other needs...all in all this seems like a signing that isn't a big deal either way until this guy gets on the field and does something. I have no issue with it or any other like you said....but I'm sure it makes sense...if we were on the inside of the Colts facility.

Those are all good points and I agree with it all.

funny thing about TRich trade. Everyone remains steadfast in the belief the Colts got fleeced by the Browns. This ultimately may turn out the case, but we got TRich for last season ( yeah, I know but work with me here) and this season for the 26th Pick. The Browns packaged #26 to move up to get Manziel at #22 who gave them nothing last season (obviously) and is riding the bench today. TRich hasn't emerged big time, and I know we might have picked an impact player at 26, but as of today it's way too early to judge the trade IMO at least.

I keep reading this and I wonder if people will still be saying it is too early to judge the trade three years from now? Who would I rather have right now, TR or Manziel. I take Manziel if I am the Browns and it is only a matter of time before he takes over there. He may be a star, he may not be but we surely know enough about TR right now to know that he is a never will be.

I keep reading this and I wonder if people will still be saying it is too early to judge the trade three years from now? Who would I rather have right now, TR or Manziel. I take Manziel if I am the Browns and it is only a matter of time before he takes over there. He may be a star, he may not be but we surely know enough about TR right now to know that he is a never will be.

Some of you did not watch TR run this past week.  So what if most of it was passing yards.  He and Bradshaw were weapons.

This offense should score at least 3 points EVERYTIME it touches the ball.  Andrew needs to be more consistent in reading defenses and audible out of obvious 'box stacking' by the defense.  

BTW we have a TR hate thread somewhere  too!! Join it.