Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

o-line (Colts @ Broncos)

OLD FAN MAN

o-line gave up 3 sacks 2 unblocked. is this a good o-line? why unblocked? whose fault was that? rushing yards 54, is this good run blocking?

The unblocked was a blitz by a LBer, right? Did we have an RB to pick up the blitz then? Help me jog my memory there.

I thought our bookends were very good. D.Ware still has spring in his step, IMO, and was disruptive and felt Castanzo showed us why he is one of the better left tackles in this league. Cherilus held his one too throughout the game.

The middle still needs some work but held up in pass protection much better and it will get better with game play and continuity.

The unblocked was a blitz by a LBer, right? Did we have an RB to pick up the blitz then? Help me jog my memory there.

I thought our bookends were very good. D.Ware still has spring in his step, IMO, and was disruptive and felt Castanzo showed us why he is one of the better left tackles in this league. Cherilus held his one too throughout the game.

The middle still needs some work but held up in pass protection much better and it will get better with game play and continuity.

AQ Shipley double teamed the nt, I believe, with the LG and the LB came straight through. Shipley tried to adjust but too late. If that's the play were talking about.

I agree, imo we need help on the line.

Barring a trade, our hands are tied. The vet free agents are free agents for a reason. Hopefully Holmes comes back and we can slide Shipley to guard. Costanzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Shipley, and Cherilus may be fairly decent.

Maybe.

At least we can only hope.

Tackles played extremely well.

Shipley did very well for pretty much bring thrown in there I thought, if Holmes struggles at all I would go right back to Shipley he could very well be our center of the future.

Mewhort played like a rookie some good plays and some bad. I think him blocking on screens is something we need to do more often though.

Thornton remains unimpressive. He's the only one of the five I am concerned about.

In game 1 Thornton was the weak link. Shipley doubled the nose on the LB'er blitz and the RB didn't rotate. Who's fault? I'm guessing Shipley. 

The problem is Shipley is a much better center than guard. Just look at Ravens games last year, so I don't know what the answer will be beside wait and watch Thornton improve.

I wasn't surprise that we couldn't run the ball against the broncos.  They were i think 2nd last year in run defense next to Arizona.  Our tackles played excellent. We didn't hear miller and ware barely at all.  The first half was the problem, but the second half we protected better.  I'm telling you Bradshaw should be the starter.  Trent has cinderblocks on his legs, but he did have a couple good runs.  I see a lot of optimisms.  We just have block when it matters.  Thornton has to be better for sure.

One sack was Bradshaw's fault, he committed to the right the LB came flying in there.  One other sack was Luck's fault, rather than staying in the pocket he moved to the left, AC had Ware walled off but Luck moved over and all Ware had to do was turn around and wrap his arms around him.

The line played very well in the 1st half but Thornton and Shipley got tired in the 2nd half and it showed.

o-line gave up 3 sacks 2 unblocked. is this a good o-line? why unblocked? whose fault was that? rushing yards 54, is this good run blocking?

Only one was unblocked, by my memory. It was a late blitzer, and it was just a good play by Nate Irving to shoot up the gap. Shipley was too late picking him up, but again, a good play by the defense.

Also, 3 sacks on 57 dropbacks isn't terrible. The first two sacks came during the two three and outs in the first half, when the offense was playing terribly all the way around. After that, something like 45 dropbacks, one sack, and they knew we were throwing it the rest of the way. And that one sack was on a play where Luck was going to scramble, but got wrapped up trying to scoot up the middle. Not great protection, but some of the blame goes to Luck there.

Seriously, I get the feeling that the line will have some bad games this year. But this wasn't one of them.

Honestly I think a lot of ppl are judging Thornton on that one play he got manhandled and it stuck in their head.

He did have only one really bad play, and IMO, he was the weak link on the oline but I think he is just not in good enough shape.  In the 2nd half he seemed to be too tired but the 1st quarter and most of the 2nd quarter I thought he played well.

He did have only one really bad play, and IMO, he was the weak link on the oline but I think he is just not in good enough shape.  In the 2nd half he seemed to be too tired but the 1st quarter and most of the 2nd quarter I thought he played well.

This is a game where I think that's shrug-worthy. First game of the year, in altitude, we ran 70 total plays, and we were in hurry-up pretty much the entire second half. His conditioning ought to be okay moving forward.

This is a game where I think that's shrug-worthy. First game of the year, in altitude, we ran 70 total plays, and we were in hurry-up pretty much the entire second half. His conditioning ought to be okay moving forward.

One could hope.  But the rest of the oline played under the same conditions and they did not have the drop off that Thornton seemed to have.

3rd worst rated pass blocking tackle tandem last season. Homer on! They were pushed back into Andrew all nite forcing him to get rid of it.

Still pretty good for them.

1.  Who cares about last year now?  This is this year.

2.  There were not "pushed back into Andrew all nite forcing him to get rid of it."

Barring a trade, our hands are tied. The vet free agents are free agents for a reason. Hopefully Holmes comes back and we can slide Shipley to guard. Costanzo, Mewhort, Holmes, Shipley, and Cherilus may be fairly decent.

Maybe.

At least we can only hope.

There is Incognito. The reason he is still a free agent might not be better than the reason to sign him.

From what I saw of the play, Bradshaw was responsible for the blocking.  There appeared to be a linebacker or someone coming from the right middle although someone was already on that guy.  Bradshaw went to help that guy, but the actual blitzer came from the left middle and Bradshaw didn't see him because he chose to help get the other guy blocked who was already being handled by someone else.