Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I miss Bethea already

lollygagger8

Didn't see much of that game. I'll take your word for it that Bethea played well. But I don't miss his play. He's certainly tough, a good leader, dependable, but he was bad in coverage last season. Those plays that Landry gave up last night, that would have been Bethea if he were still here.

Didn't see much of that game. I'll take your word for it that Bethea played well. But I don't miss his play. He's certainly tough, a good leader, dependable, but he was bad in coverage last season. Those plays that Landry gave up last night, that would have been Bethea if he were still here.

While I agree his skills are diminishing...and we couldn't afford to pay him what he got...totally understand watching him walk....he is twice the cover safety as Landry...and I would say twice the tackler.....he does have half the biceps...for whatever that is worth....which...yeah...is nothing lol. I knew we were moving on from him and thats totally understandable...and I didn't see Adams do anything poorly necessarily so I'm fine with the move...but Landry has and continues to be a sore spot with me. I want to support our team but he just hasn't lived up to what I think we are paying and expecting from him. Grigson said he is like the awe factor like when the intemidation guys getting off the bus first....well problem is once he is on the field I just don't see it translate. He is NOT intimidating on the field...in fact I think teams target HIM. I know he got stuck in a bad spot last night but overall I just haven't seen him be that guy that scared offenses from going across the middle...or him come up and make tackles consistantly...I hope all those nagging little injuries are behind him and he gets back to better play....but imo Bethea was and still is a step above Landry.

While I agree his skills are diminishing...and we couldn't afford to pay him what he got...totally understand watching him walk....he is twice the cover safety as Landry...and I would say twice the tackler.....he does have half the biceps...for whatever that is worth....which...yeah...is nothing lol. I knew we were moving on from him and thats totally understandable...and I didn't see Adams do anything poorly necessarily so I'm fine with the move...but Landry has and continues to be a sore spot with me. I want to support our team but he just hasn't lived up to what I think we are paying and expecting from him. Grigson said he is like the awe factor like when the intemidation guys getting off the bus first....well problem is once he is on the field I just don't see it translate. He is NOT intimidating on the field...in fact I think teams target HIM. I know he got stuck in a bad spot last night but overall I just haven't seen him be that guy that scared offenses from going across the middle...or him come up and make tackles consistantly...I hope all those nagging little injuries are behind him and he gets back to better play....but imo Bethea was and still is a step above Landry.

We could have afforded to pay him. I don't think the Colts wanted to keep him. Kind of like the Dwight Freeney situation last year, they adiosed him, and were never going to make an offer. JMO

And while it's hard to say anything that might seem like a defense of Landry today, the plays he gave up last night are the same plays Bethea gave up last season in the same role. Getting beat by TEs in short area coverage, getting beat down the field by WRs... that was Bethea in 2013. He did tackle better.

We could have afforded to pay him. I don't think the Colts wanted to keep him. Kind of like the Dwight Freeney situation last year, they adiosed him, and were never going to make an offer. JMO

And while it's hard to say anything that might seem like a defense of Landry today, the plays he gave up last night are the same plays Bethea gave up last season in the same role. Getting beat by TEs in short area coverage, getting beat down the field by WRs... that was Bethea in 2013. He did tackle better.

Agree .. we had plenty of cap room . Bottom line was he kept getting worse and worse in coverage. I agree with Grigson on not doing the over pay on this one.

It wasn't so much that I think Bethea was great or deserved paid what he got. I think SF overpaid but still got a solid safety. I just feel Landry has been that big of a dissappointment. I know he is probably doing the best he can and those are tough situations to be in...but even being the inforcer...the big hitter...he swings and misses too much...I guess I am just not happy with his overall play. Same kinda with RJF...I think we have seen other guys step in and play just as good if not better. Doesn't mean either can't come back and play better just not feeling we are getting the value we need from each.