Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indy's 10 takeaways from Colts @ Broncos

Dark_Indy

Well, we lost- but it's not how you start. It's how you finish, and that's the key. There were a few key takeaways I saw about this game.

1) The Secondary played well, all things considered- Landry shouldn't be asked to cover Julius Thomas 1 on 1. Toler played well, other than a few bum penalties due to the new rules. If Toler can stay healthy- I see good things in the future for the Colts CBs. 

2) The offensive line was ok, not great- Luck was sacked once in the second half (twice in the first), and hurried about 6-10 times during the game, which is a lot better than in the past. Cherilus and Castonzo held off Ware and Miller quite well. Castonzo blocked Ware to the ground in the Endzone, and on the last few drives, the O-Line held firm. 

3) Reggie's Back! 

4) We have probably the most talented and deep WR Corps in the league, and we absolutely refuse to use that potential until we are down by 24 points. It doesn't make sense to me. 

5) Bradshaw picked up from last year nicely, outshining TRich in every possible category. 70 Receiving Yards and a 5.0 YPC- not shabby. Trent has come a long way though- and the help from Edge is showing through. 

6)  Dwayne's Back!

7) Why is Griff Whalen on this team, exactly? 5 Punt returns for 24 yards- and it took the Broncos' entire team stopping for him to get down the field to the endzone. Purifoy or Moncrief can do much better than that. 

8) Studebaker is proving why he deserves a spot on this team. While the team fell short in the end, his recovery of the onside kick gave the Colts a chance. Very underrated Special Teamer

9) Hakeem Nicks now has one more touchdown than he did all of last year, and has now tied Darrius Heyward Bey in the "Catching Touchdowns from Andrew Luck" category.

10) Loucheiz Purifoy absolutely laid the wood as a special teamer today. Forced a fumble and had a few other good block sheds on punt coverage. I'm looking forward to him, Sergo and Studebaker forging a trio of ST monsters.

There you have it, Indy's 10 Takeaways from Colts @ Broncos

1) Where the hell are they in the first half?

2) They don't show up til the 3rd quarter.

3) Why so 1st half suck?

4) Same thing as last year. No first half presence.

5) Can't play 4 full quarters.

6) Suck in the first half.

7) Second half...pretty good

8) Slow start

9) Getting behind by a million gillion points before looking like the team we expect.

10) the hell happens to this team in the second half? Is there a switch? 

We get way to behind in games. Offense was really off at first....

O Line- awful first half. Seemed to mold together a little more in 2nd half!

WR/TE- missed a couple balls and yards but overall okay. For sure could be better.

RB- Trent played hard, Bradshaw played like a monster.

QB: Luck played well. Not best game but not awful. The INT could have been avoided.

Defense.. Was in field way to much in 1st half.

D-Line- Let some holes open up in first half,little pass rush. Stepped up in 4th quarter.

LB- Could not cover J.Thomas, missed some big tackles in first half! Played a little better in 2nd half.

CB- Couldn't keep their hands off Denver WR's. Gave up a bunch of penalty yards. Played okay in 4th quarter.

S- Adams played average the whole game, Landry was very up and down.

Overall a good showing in the 2nd half! Showed we could hang with the big boys in the AFC if things are going our way!

It doesn't matter how you start it's how you finish?? LOL. Tell that to all the colts players and fans after how we finished. An L is an L

Yep, and there's 15 possible W's out there- I'd rather the Colts players focus on those than the 1 L against the team that represented the AFC in the super bowl last year. Oh and we only lost by 7 points IN Denver? 

1) Where the hell are they in the first half?

2) They don't show up til the 3rd quarter.

3) Why so 1st half suck?

4) Same thing as last year. No first half presence.

5) Can't play 4 full quarters.

6) Suck in the first half.

7) Second half...pretty good

8) Slow start

9) Getting behind by a million gillion points before looking like the team we expect.

10) the hell happens to this team in the second half? Is there a switch? 

SECOND HALF! :Yikes: tumblr_m7uc4wCY2A1r3wzd9o1_500.gif

1. Reggie is back, and looked like his old self.
2. Thornton was always on the ground when I noticed him.
3. Mewhort seemed to handle things well.
4. Bradshaw when he gets the ball is tough to bring down.
5. Adam Vinatieri still has a hell of a leg for a 40+ year old kicker.
6.Colts are fighters.
7. Davis is a great young corner.
8. Griff is a hands guy, but Moncrief should be fielding punts.
9. Nicks will is a breath of fresh air... after DHB.
10. Dwayne Allen wiiiiiiiill be huge in the long run.

1. Colts have to figure out these slow starts on both sides of the ball.

2. Pass rush is going to be a real issue until Mathis is back.

3. Fleener played like rookie Fleener tonight which was disappointing.

4. Reggie Wayne is back and thats a wonderful thing.

5. Colts need a new goal line play besides the QB sneak.

6. As well as the defense played in the second half still no turnovers. No turnovers and no pass rush from the defense will not win many games in today's NFL.

7. Colts have to find away to hide Jackson in pass defense.

8. Landry is a waste of money.

9. Art Jones played very well.

10. O-line was better then expected and GC and Castonzo did a great job against two elite pass rushers.

I think we will definitely be in the top 10 for run defense this year.  I liked much of what I saw. 

As I expected I didn't see anything from Werner as far as a pass rush is concerned, but it's

hard to get to down on him with how fast Peyton gets rid of the ball.

I'm not sure why so many posters here are so surprised the team struggled so badly in the first half.

This pre-season was almost a complete waste for the Colts.

This team is not hear ready for the start of the regular season,  the o-line is work in progress at best....   the only reason we're playing regular season games is because,  well,   we have to.      We don't get a choice.    But we're still figuring things out and we're going to be doing that for quite some time.

I see this team getting better and better.....   I'm neither surprised or worried about tonight....

My two biggest complaints were those two drives inside the 10 in the first time.

Two really big brain cramps.     Those were brutal to watch.     Brutal.          :facepalm:

luck did himself no favors on that pick if was a high throw. Yes Fleener could have caught it but it was hardly a perfectly delivered ball.

My rule: If it goes through your hands, it's a drop. Well, in most circumstances. He put TY in a bad way on that failed 3rd and long throw from the endzone. Luck does tend to overthrow.

My rule: If it goes through your hands, it's a drop. Well, in most circumstances. He put TY in a bad way on that failed 3rd and long throw from the endzone. Luck does tend to overthrow.

i think both Luck and Fleener can share blame on the INT. Bad throw bad attempt at the catch = bad play.

I agree with most that has been said here but i'll add on, Fleener has to get traded. He's hurting the team more then helping and is still timid going over the middle. We have enough weapons on offense that losing Fleener wouldn't hurt the team, we could really use a coverage safety and a pass rusher.

I agree with most that has been said here but i'll add on, Fleener has to get traded. He's hurting the team more then helping and is still timid going over the middle. We have enough weapons on offense that losing Fleener wouldn't hurt the team, we could really use a coverage safety and a pass rusher.

I figured someone would pop up with the idea of trading someone. Coby will be this weeks.

I dont think Bradshaw out shined TR in every way. He dropped a pass, didnt get out of bounds when he should have, and missed a blitz pick up that lead to a sack. 2 of TR's positive plays were negated due to penalties. 

Not taking away from Bradshaw's positive plays but he made some mistakes just like the rest. 

Here's the biggest thing with Fleener. Luck loves the guy, and looks for him frequently. But he hadn't shown he's consistent enough to deal with that level of responsibility. Reggie is in a similar spot, but Reggie has glue on his hands.

So Luck has to either stop looking for Fleener as much, or Fleener needs to continue hitting the jugs machine.