Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2015 Colts Mock Draft

As the 2014 season is now upon us, and we have one week of college football behind, this is the perfect time to have an all-too early 2015 pre-season mock draft. I am just going for the first 4 rounds. 

2014 Season Prediction: 12-4 and lose to Patriots in 2nd round

1.) Marcus Peters CB Washington; 6'0" 195 lbs

This guy would look outstanding across from Vontae Davis. I expect his stock to rise during the season similar to how Desmond Trufant's stock rose a couple years ago. Marcus is a long-term solution at CB and will replace the all too often injured Greg Toler. As Darius Butler will also be a free agent after the season, I could see possibly keeping Toler as the nickel corner. 

2.) Alvin Dupree DE/OLB Kentucky; 6'4" 260 lbs

Time to find the heir apparent to Mathis. This guy has great size and tremendous upside. Hopefully he  will still be available in the 2nd round. I was really hoping we would have been able to draft Attaochu in the 2014 draft. I just don't see Werner as a consistent rusher like Mathis is. Werner's ceiling in my opinion is Paul Kruger. Dupree can learn from Mathis while contributing in pass rushing situations early.

3.) Henry Anderson DE Stanford; 6'6" 290 lbs

I would expect that this is the last year for Corey Redding. I read that he had considered retiring before this season. Anderson would be a great replacement. He is athletic for his size and could actually provide something of a pash rush from the end position. 

4.) Jake Fisher OT Oregon; 6'6" 300 lbs

Fisher is a more athletic tackle that has played all over Oregon's line. He started out at guard before moving to right tackle and then left tackle. He provides us with versatility and quality depth. He could stand to add a little weight, but he would have time to be groomed to possibly take over at right tackle. 

This is just my start of the season mock draft. It will be interesting to see how the season plays out. 

I LOVE football season!!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nickel may be a better position for Toler anyways. Don't trust him one on one with outside receivers. But I'm interested to know if you think Peters is the best CB coming out or just the best CB who will be available at the Colts pick. But I also think 2015 we spend a high pick on a safety. Landry is old and injury prone, Howell might not ever play football again, and Mike Adams is 38.

Nickel may be a better position for Toler anyways. Don't trust him one on one with outside receivers. But I'm interested to know if you think Peters is the best CB coming out or just the best CB who will be available at the Colts pick. But I also think 2015 we spend a high pick on a safety. Landry is old and injury prone, Howell might not ever play football again, and Mike Adams is 38.

I think Peters will be the best defensive back available at our pick. 

I really don't believe a high pick needs to be spent on a safety. There are a plethora of quality safeties in the league that were late round picks or free agents. Bethea was a late round pick. 

I do agree 100% with your Landry comment though, very underwhelming thus far. 

Adams is 33.

I really don't believe a high pick needs to be spent on a safety. There are a plethora of quality safeties in the league that were late round picks or free agents. Bethea was a late round pick. 

Every position has lots of good players picked late, not just safety.

I don't have names, and won't for many, many more months....

But positions for me in the 2015 draft would be....

1.  CB

2.  DB

3.  OLB or DL

4.  DL or OLB

5.  RB

6.  WR

7.  OL

I'd like offensive line upgrades to be addressed in Free Agency.   A guy who can step in and deliver quality snaps.    I don't want a rookie who may or may not pan out in his first year.

I don't have names, and won't for many, many more months....

But positions for me in the 2015 draft would be....

1.  CB

2.  DB

3.  OLB or DL

4.  DL or OLB

5.  RB

6.  WR

7.  OL

I'd like offensive line upgrades to be addressed in Free Agency.   A guy who can step in and deliver quality snaps.    I don't want a rookie who may or may not pan out in his first year.

I actually like the colts corners if Toler can stay health....big if I know. But the safety position is a complete mess

I was just nitpicking. Even if Toler can't stay healthy I would put S as a bigger priority.

Agreed there too....  Safety is a bigger priority....

I'm just thinking that I'd probably rather get a premium corner and a solid safety,  than a premium safety and a solid corner....  especially since the early word on safety's is that there may not be a great one for the first round.     Of course,  it's very early and things can and will change...

That's another way of saying I think we can fill the need in the 2nd round rather than the first...

Why would the colts replace a very good nickel corner in Butler with Toler, who has injury concerns?

Because Butler is a free agent after this season, and I am uncertain if we can afford to keep him. He signed a bargain deal at 2 years $2 million for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. I would say he has vastly outplayed that. Some team will give him more, possibly even a chance to start. 

It is very early (granted), but the 2015 draft is shaping up to be a nice draft for cornerbacks. I think Marcus Peters can be an impact corner that we can get late in the first round. I can see his draft stock rising similar to that of Desmond Trufant. 

I agree wholeheartedly that Safety is a huge concern right now. However, I am less inclined to address safety in the first or second round. I would rather get a corner and a pass rusher (Newsome may change my mind as season progresses). 

Also, it is a very slow work day and I was really impressed with what I saw on the college gridiron this past weekend. 

I think as the passing game evolves that safeties will become more and more important. I believe that the Seahawk's defense can play the way it does because of their safeties. The fact that Kam and Earl can cover ground and make plays allows for their corners to press without worrying. Sherman is obviously talented but he looks a lot better when he has two stars at the safety positions. It also helps to explain why they can seemingly play anyone opposite Sherman and they look good. I'd love to see the Colts grab Landon Collins if he's available.

As long as his deal isn't ridiculous then I would make re-signing Butler a priority. He struggles somewhat when forced to play outside but I would say he's a top end nickel back. I wouldn't put an emphasize on corner right now because I would like to see how Toler plays this year. I am also curious as to how Purifoy develops this year. Purifoy was considered one of the top college prospects after his sophomore year and Pagano is considered a defensive back guru so nothing would surprise me in regards to Purifoy or his play.

I would agree that the Colts need to find a pass-rusher somewhere. Werner seems to be better suited for the Sam role which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it simply means that someone needs to emerge as a legitimate threat to get to the quarterback on a frequent basis. I like Newsome and hope he's something but I'm a little confused as to why he was listed as a DE by the Colts. Even if Newsome is decent, they could probably use another pass rusher for when Mathis hangs them up.

A spot I hadn't seen mentioned but was concerned about was ILB. The current starters are D'Qwell Jackson and Jerrell Freeman. Freeman is a free agent at the end of this year I believe, at which point he will probably expect a large raise, which I'm rather skeptical of giving him when he'll be 29. D'Qwell Jackson has appeared to begin his decline and will be 31 at the end of this month. Muamba is a giant question mark. He seemed to play well but I honestly just don't know what to expect from him. Neither Jackson nor McNary inspire much confidence from me. They could be decent but the position as a whole seems rather average with question marks aplenty.

1) Landon Collins S Alabama; 6'0" 216lbs

He's your prototypical safety with a great, compact build. He possesses a good sense of awareness in coverage and the ability to be a factor in the run game. Has the ability and willingness to deliver the big hit.

2) Devonte Fields OLB Trinity Valley CC 6'4" 250lbs

Fields possesses a long, lean frame. He could probably afford to put on some weight and will likely need to in order to diversify his pass-rushing ability. Fields had a dominant freshman season but he missed all but three of his games his sophomore season at TCU. Going into his junior season, he was projected to have a large impact but was dismissed from the program right before the season began. Has character concerns regarding his dismissal but has all the skill needed to be a stand-out pass-rusher in the NFL.

3) Jabari Hunt-Days ILB Georgia Tech 6'3" 249lbs

Jabari is a large linebacker at his size. He was ruled academically ineligible this year for Georgia Tech. He seemed to understand coverage concepts and appeared to possess the ability to cover and make plays in space. Hunt-Days was also an asset as a run defender, in which he seems to initiate contact and finish plays.

4) Jonathan Bullard DL Florida 6'3" 270lbs

Bullard was highly regarded as a recruit when he made his decision to attend Florida. He seems to be able to cause disruption at the line of scrimmage and has shown the ability to penetrate gaps. He would likely play DT or DE in our 3-4 scheme depending on the given play. He has been a rotational play thus far in his college career but will likely be seeing more minutes this year.

I think as the passing game evolves that safeties will become more and more important. I believe that the Seahawk's defense can play the way it does because of their safeties. The fact that Kam and Earl can cover ground and make plays allows for their corners to press without worrying. Sherman is obviously talented but he looks a lot better when he has two stars at the safety positions. It also helps to explain why they can seemingly play anyone opposite Sherman and they look good. I'd love to see the Colts grab Landon Collins if he's available.

As long as his deal isn't ridiculous then I would make re-signing Butler a priority. He struggles somewhat when forced to play outside but I would say he's a top end nickel back. I wouldn't put an emphasize on corner right now because I would like to see how Toler plays this year. I am also curious as to how Purifoy develops this year. Purifoy was considered one of the top college prospects after his sophomore year and Pagano is considered a defensive back guru so nothing would surprise me in regards to Purifoy or his play.

I would agree that the Colts need to find a pass-rusher somewhere. Werner seems to be better suited for the Sam role which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it simply means that someone needs to emerge as a legitimate threat to get to the quarterback on a frequent basis. I like Newsome and hope he's something but I'm a little confused as to why he was listed as a DE by the Colts. Even if Newsome is decent, they could probably use another pass rusher for when Mathis hangs them up.

A spot I hadn't seen mentioned but was concerned about was ILB. The current starters are D'Qwell Jackson and Jerrell Freeman. Freeman is a free agent at the end of this year I believe, at which point he will probably expect a large raise, which I'm rather skeptical of giving him when he'll be 29. D'Qwell Jackson has appeared to begin his decline and will be 31 at the end of this month. Muamba is a giant question mark. He seemed to play well but I honestly just don't know what to expect from him. Neither Jackson nor McNary inspire much confidence from me. They could be decent but the position as a whole seems rather average with question marks aplenty.

1) Landon Collins S Alabama; 6'0" 216lbs

He's your prototypical safety with a great, compact build. He possesses a good sense of awareness in coverage and the ability to be a factor in the run game. Has the ability and willingness to deliver the big hit.

2) Devonte Fields OLB Trinity Valley CC 6'4" 250lbs

Fields possesses a long, lean frame. He could probably afford to put on some weight and will likely need to in order to diversify his pass-rushing ability. Fields had a dominant freshman season but he missed all but three of his games his sophomore season at TCU. Going into his junior season, he was projected to have a large impact but was dismissed from the program right before the season began. Has character concerns regarding his dismissal but has all the skill needed to be a stand-out pass-rusher in the NFL.

3) Jabari Hunt-Days ILB Georgia Tech 6'3" 249lbs

Jabari is a large linebacker at his size. He was ruled academically ineligible this year for Georgia Tech. He seemed to understand coverage concepts and appeared to possess the ability to cover and make plays in space. Hunt-Days was also an asset as a run defender, in which he seems to initiate contact and finish plays.

4) Jonathan Bullard DL Florida 6'3" 270lbs

Bullard was highly regarded as a recruit when he made his decision to attend Florida. He seems to be able to cause disruption at the line of scrimmage and has shown the ability to penetrate gaps. He would likely play DT or DE in our 3-4 scheme depending on the given play. He has been a rotational play thus far in his college career but will likely be seeing more minutes this year.

I would not touch Fields. He has a domestic abuse charge against him, plus the year before he recanted his story regarding a robbery at his place. He is too big of a risk in any round. 

Collins seems like a top 15 pick, although I am uncertain how great of a cover guy he is. It will be interesting to see how he progresses this season. 

I have actually been impressed with what I have seen from Muamba. I think he has a bright future, although a strong pre-season really doesn't carry that much weight. We'll see what happens when he gets some game experience. Depth at ILB is always needed. Definitely a position to consider, although we have two CFL guys on the roster that seem to be high caliber and did not cost us a draft pick. 

Because Butler is a free agent after this season, and I am uncertain if we can afford to keep him. He signed a bargain deal at 2 years $2 million for the 2013 and 2014 seasons. I would say he has vastly outplayed that. Some team will give him more, possibly even a chance to start. 

It is very early (granted), but the 2015 draft is shaping up to be a nice draft for cornerbacks. I think Marcus Peters can be an impact corner that we can get late in the first round. I can see his draft stock rising similar to that of Desmond Trufant. 

I agree wholeheartedly that Safety is a huge concern right now. However, I am less inclined to address safety in the first or second round. I would rather get a corner and a pass rusher (Newsome may change my mind as season progresses). 

Also, it is a very slow work day and I was really impressed with what I saw on the college gridiron this past weekend.

He signed a cheap deal because he stunk before he became a a colt. And I really don't see resigning him as a big problem. If Toler has injury problems again just cut him and give some of that money to Butler. I don't know why some colts fans seem to think the front office is incapable of resigning any player that's actually good.

Landry was only stop gap anyways. I know people like to believe in the little "under the rug" guys like Sergio Brown, Gordy, Anderson,etc.. but that's not who you want as a long term starter. We need a long term answer at both safety positions. Not some PS guy with "potential", some CFL guy whose decent, or some FA pick up that was a former 5th round pick. We need a legit YOUNG starting Safety (2 actually). Landon Collins, Anthony Harris, and Derron Smith are all guys I would look at in the draft.

So I disagree there. We might just have to spend a high pick on a Safety to net a real difference maker.

He signed a cheap deal because he stunk before he became a a colt. And I really don't see resigning him as a big problem. If Toler has injury problems again just cut him and give some of that money to Butler. I don't know why some colts fans seem to think the front office is incapable of resigning any player that's actually good.

The problem in re-signing Butler is the demand that he will get from other teams coupled with a number of other players that we need to re-sign. After this season we are looking at possible extensions for Fleener, Allen, Castonzo, Chapman, and Hilton. Jerrell Freeman is a free agent. 

If there is even one team who feels Butler is capable of starting, it is difficult to imagine him wanting to stay as a 3rd CB. 

If we can keep him great, but I imagine he will be tough to re-sign given the plethora of other pending deals. 

The problem in re-signing Butler is the demand that he will get from other teams coupled with a number of other players that we need to re-sign. After this season we are looking at possible extensions for Fleener, Allen, Castonzo, Chapman, and Hilton. Jerrell Freeman is a free agent.

If there is even one team who feels Butler is capable of starting, it is difficult to imagine him wanting to stay as a 3rd CB.

If we can keep him great, but I imagine he will be tough to re-sign given the plethora of other pending deals.

Butler has already stated his preference for playing the slot. If he leaves he will still be a 3rd CB.

Fleener, Chapman, Castonzo and even DA haven't proven they are worth big money YET, so I can't really say I'm concerned about resigning Butler.

Landry was only stop gap anyways. I know people like to believe in the little "under the rug" guys like Sergio Brown, Gordy, Anderson,etc.. but that's not who you want as a long term starter. We need a long term answer at both safety positions. Not some PS guy with "potential", some CFL guy whose decent, or some FA pick up that was a former 5th round pick. We need a legit YOUNG starting Safety (2 actually). Landon Collins, Anthony Harris, and Derron Smith are all guys I would look at in the draft.

So I disagree there. We might just have to spend a high pick on a Safety to net a real difference maker.

4 years, 24 million.    Stop gap?

I sure wish somebody would stop my gap like that!!      Hey,  even one-tenth of that!    I'd take 2.4 mill over the next 4 years and somehow manage to survive!

I would not touch Fields. He has a domestic abuse charge against him, plus the year before he recanted his story regarding a robbery at his place. He is too big of a risk in any round. 

Collins seems like a top 15 pick, although I am uncertain how great of a cover guy he is. It will be interesting to see how he progresses this season. 

I have actually been impressed with what I have seen from Muamba. I think he has a bright future, although a strong pre-season really doesn't carry that much weight. We'll see what happens when he gets some game experience. Depth at ILB is always needed. Definitely a position to consider, although we have two CFL guys on the roster that seem to be high caliber and did not cost us a draft pick. 

Fields is a huge question mark. If Grigson or Pagano is unwilling to sign off on him then I obviously wouldn't expect him to be a Colt. He does possess a ton of talent though, and assuming he has shown some signs of growth as a person then I would love to have him as a longterm replacement for Mathis. Another name to keep an eye on is Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia. Floyd had a fantastic first game and might become a hot name this year.

Collins is hard to get a beat on in terms of his potential place in a draft. Safeties always seem to be rated unusually high and then "drop" a bit in the draft. I would expect to see Collins go somewhere between 10-20. If he slips out of the top 15 (extremely possible) then I would consider moving up to get him.

I would love if Muamba ended up being yet another gem that Grigson has unearthed. I hope he gets an opportunity this year to prove he could help be a solution that has been a revolving door for several seasons now. Until then, ILB is a question mark. If Jabari Hunt-Days is available in the third round then I think he'd be an incredible steal.

4 years, 24 million.    Stop gap?

I sure wish somebody would stop my gap like that!!      Hey,  even one-tenth of that!    I'd take 2.4 mill over the next 4 years and somehow manage to survive!

It's quite common though. Teams routinely over-pay for stop gap players. Look how much the 49ers gave to Bethea, and they have Eric Reed and Jimmy Ward. Or all the people that Oakland over-payed for this off-season. Let's not forget how hold (around 28 or 29 I believe) Landry was when he signed that deal. A 4 year deal for a safety at that age, who isn't elite is essentially a retirement deal. They signed him to milk whatever good years he has left in him, while we find a long term answer at Safety. Again, stop gap. That's why now is the perfect time to take a safety in the 1st or 2nd round.

I know it is early, but after last night, I think this mock is spot on regarding needs and value. 

Toler didn't look terrible, but he is going to struggle with refs calling holding more closely. I am still not sold he can stay healthy all season. Vontae Davis was magnificent last night. He did a tremendous job against Thomas. Pairing two great corners would really elevate the defense, especially with an improved pass rush. 

The safety play was lacking last night. Landry seemed lost in coverage, although to be fair, I may be incorrect in my assessment as a fan and not a coach. I still believe we can get a decent safety later in the draft or via free agency. 

We MUST improve the pass rush. Werner was a non-factor, and the only pass rush came via blitz. I like Dupree, probably the best we could get in the 2nd round (at this point). 

I hope Redding stays a year or two more. I thought he looked great last night. If he does retire, Henry Anderson would be a nice replacement. 

I would go:

Rd1: S (We need a playmaker at the Safety position who is an upgrage over guys like Landry or Adams. Howell is decent but injury prone)

Rd2: OLB/DE (Mathis isn't getting younger and without him the Colts lack pass rush)

Rd3: CB (Toler is injury prone it would be a miracle if he stays healthy for the whole season. Butler is decent but we need a second dominant CB besides Davis)

Rd4: OG (I don't expect Donald Thomas and Joe Reitz back next year and Colts need more depth at the G position)

Rd5: WR (Wayne is great but aging, Nicks on a one year deal so nobody knows what happens with him)

Rd6: RB

Rd7: S

Now that the word is out on Mathis,  I think I would project the following....

1. OLB  -- not sure we have a choice and the need will be huge.

2.  DB   -- we need a quality safety

3.  CB   -- can't get enough of good corners

4.  DL   --  Redding won't be playing too many more years

5.  RB   -- Always need more running backs

6.  OL/OL -- we have two sixth round picks in this draft.   I'd start grooming future o-lineman.  I'd also grab a quality OL in FA.

7.  BPA/BPA -- we have two seventh round picks in this draft as well.    At this point,  it's best player available.

We may need to draft a couple of pass rushers.

Couple of names to keep an eye on:

Dante Fowler, Jr     Florida     6'3"  261 lbs

Randy Gregory      Nebraska   6'5" 255 lbs

Noah Spence         Ohio State   6'3"   255 lbs

I just really hope that WE DO NOT TRADE ANY PICKS FOR ANOTHER TEAM'S BACKUP!!!!!!

Now that the word is out on Mathis,  I think I would project the following....

1. OLB  -- not sure we have a choice and the need will be huge.

2.  DB   -- we need a quality safety

3.  CB   -- can't get enough of good corners

4.  DL   --  Redding won't be playing too many more years

5.  RB   -- Always need more running backs

6.  OL/OL -- we have two sixth round picks in this draft.   I'd start grooming future o-lineman.  I'd also grab a quality OL in FA.

7.  BPA/BPA -- we have two seventh round picks in this draft as well.    At this point,  it's best player available.

The only thing I would change on your draft is your 5th rounder. Our RB situation is fine, we just need better blocking. I would much rather get a 2nd OLB or safety.

The only thing I would change on your draft is your 5th rounder. Our RB situation is fine, we just need better blocking. I would much rather get a 2nd OLB or safety.

The running back situation is fine --- today. 

I'm not at all confident it will be confident by the spring of 2015.    In fact, I'm anticipating it won't be.   That's why I've got RB in the 5th round.

However,  I'm not sure I'd complain about another defensive player.    If Grigson and Pagano really want to "build the monster" on defense,   then we're going to have to invest some premium picks on defense.

We need to get younger, faster, bigger, more skilled.....   more everything on defense.

Not sure we can go another year with just an OK defense.    Need to get better.

1. OLB

2. FS

3. RB - Trent is not the answer

4. DE

5. CB

6. OL

7. SS

I'd change that order and put DE at 3. Cory Redding is old and slow.

The first round OLB's that are worth drafting in the first who might be available are Shaq Thompson and Noah Spence. I'd say Beasley but he was a sure fire first round talent going into the 2014 draft, so I don't see him dropping very next April/May.

For 2nd round safeties I like Derron Smith. Probably the best coverage FS in the draft. If he's not there though, there is Anthony Harris at SS.

I disagree that our first round choice must be an OLB. There are so many highly rated pass-rushers in this draft that I think it makes more sense to wait until the second and address another need in the first. I believe all of these players will be considered tier one pass-rushers (although they may have strikes against character, etc.):

Cedric Reed

Randy Gregory

Vic Beasley

Shilique Calhoun

Noah Spence

Leonard Floyd

Devonte Fields

In what I think is the next tier, you'll find players like:

Eric Striker

Alvin Dupree

Markus Golden

Jordan Jenkins

Kyler Fackrell

This draft looks to be very, very deep in pass-rushers which I think means you need to find a good value. There's no reason to pick a player in the first if a prospect that grades out similarly is available in the second.

1. Landon Collins S or Cameron Irving OT

2. Jalen Smith ILB or Laquon Treadwell WR

3. Trae Waynes CB or PJ Williams CB

4. Jaelen Strong WR

Both of your second rounders are true sophomores so they can't come out this year. PJ Williams is currently projected as the first corner off the board.