Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Indianapolis @ Denver (9-6-14)

oldunclemark

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so far yes but we knew it could be it's just one of 16 and maybe the best team we play all year in their house when they are super fired up.

And remember how they destroyed the Ravens in the opener last year. This showing sucks for us, but the Broncos are a quality opponent. Like you said, probably the toughest matchup of the season for us.

Denver has 76 yards rushing if that's stopping the run I don't want to see a team running wild.

Raw yardage is a terrible way to gauge run defense. Take away one carry and the end around, and I think Denver is probably around 3 yards per carry. Doesn't mean the run defense is great, but the 76 yards isn't the problem. It's the 4 yards on 3rd and 3 that we need to fix. Same thing in the Pats game last year.

Raw yardage is a terrible way to gauge run defense. Take away one carry and the end around, and I think Denver is probably around 3 yards per carry. Doesn't mean the run defense is great, but the 76 yards isn't the problem. It's the 4 yards on 3rd and 3 that we need to fix. Same thing in the Pats game last year.

right, like I said to start Colts can't make a play on third down. I was just responding to people saying the defense is playing well. I don't think that's the case at all. They can't get off the field. Denver has manhandled them so far. Including stopping the run. The reverse was for 11 yards, you take that way that's still 64 yards for about 4.0 YPC. That's too much.

I dont know what the Colts can do about Julius Thomas..

He's just a mismatch for anybody we have....

..the only option is to dial up some blitzes

Bracket him with a safety, keep another safety deep, encourage the Broncos to run the ball. I think that's our best option right now.

T.J. We are coming for you in that passing game on Sunday night buddy!

Love these Cleveland fan tidbits on T.J. Ward:

"We’ll see how much of a winning culture Denver has when Manning retires. TJ Ward couldn’t cover my 300 lb. uncle and incidentally that is one of the reasons why the Browns let him walk, and is one of the most important aspects of a safety’s responsibilities. Smart move not to pay a one dimensional player with an injury history big money. The expectation is to win now in Cleveland. Ray Farmer is the man to take us back to our rightful place."

"Could it possibly have anything to do with Ward’s look at the ground, lower your shoulder, and forget to wrap up tackling technique? Does the NFL keep stats on how many tackles were broken against a player? I believe Ward might lead in that category with active players."

"brownsmakemecrazy says:

Jul 2, 2014 8:26 AM

First of all I don’t blame TJ Ward for leaving Cleveland to go to a winning team, however, this clown isn’t a good player.

He takes the worst angles of any safety I’ve ever seen. He had one decent year since he was with the Browns and that was last year.

Just wait Denver when TJ takes one of his infamous pursuits of the WR only to find the WR is already 10 yards past him by the time he gets to where he was supposed to be.

Nice classy behavior too TJ bringing outside liquor into a strip club. This guy is a tool. Enjoy Denver but I think they will have buyers remorse soon."

"gocleve99 says:

Jul 2, 2014 8:31 AM

Well, TJ…. The reason you were allowed to walk is because Cleveland got tired of watching you get burned and chase receivers into the end zone. You are a huge part of why the Browns blew so many 4th Qtr leads last year. Good tackler, but LOUSY in coverage. We’ll see how that “winning culture” in Denver holds up when Manning retires……"

Another one here from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...in-free-agency

T.J. Ward, safety

He's a ferocious hitter and beastly run-stuffer, but Ward's game is limited. He's a classic in-the-box safety with just five interceptions over his four seasons in Cleveland. It's telling that the Browns opted not to franchise tag the defender amid whispers that coach Mike Pettine would prefer to sign the more versatile Jairus Byrd. Ward can shut down the run, but I'm not in love with his coverage skills. Eleven other safeties rated higher against the pass last season, per Pro Football Focus, and game tape from past campaigns suggests that Ward can be had in coverage. He's still a quality signing, but Ward's Pro Bowl season is bound to trigger a bloated payday.

Oh boy

right, like I said to start Colts can't make a play on third down. I was just responding to people saying the defense is playing well. I don't think that's the case at all. They can't get off the field. Denver has manhandled them so far. Including stopping the run. The reverse was for 11 yards, you take that way that's still 64 yards for about 4.0 YPC. That's too much.

Ball has a 15 yarder as well. That's the other carry I was referring to. 

But yeah, there's no praise to give to the defense right now. I just don't have a big problem with the run defense. 

How many carries...and how many TDs passing> Come onThey've done well against the run. They need a rush...

4.0 YPC and 64 yards without the reverse and 75 yards for 4.2 with it. That's also including a Manning knee. No this is not good against the run. This is the defense getting shredded in the air and on the ground by a very good team. The offense is doing them no favors but they aren't doing themselves any favors either.