Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wes Welker suspended 4 games (merge)

amfootball

Well I mean com'on, if he were in NE and got busted for the same thing, he'd make less than he would have made if busted under his contract with Denver.  Don't really think it's safe to assume that he wouldn't have been caught for anything while at NE - it doesn't make any sense to me at all why he would use Molly in Den and not in NE.

I don't know about that last line. Denver is a real mess these days with guys getting into trouble/suspended.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day the Pats were lucky to not have Welker on the team.  The Broncos lost in the super bowl with Welker.  Welker is 0-3 in super bowls.   Welker's concussions are a HUGE problem.  Now Welker failed a drug test.  I'm not saying this wouldn't have happened if Welker was still with the Pats, but the Pats are lucky in this situation.  Just right timing for the Pats.

Plus, Peyton has a history of hanging is WR's and TE's out to get clobbered more than Brady has.

Pats benefited with the great development of Julian Edelman who as of now is a better player than Welker with regards to durability, age and money/cap.  You'd be a fool to take Welker over Edelman now in real life and in fantasy sports.  Edelman is an overall better player especially as a kick returner as of september 2014.

When Welker was with the Pats I still prefered the Pats go bigger.  When Welker started dropping balls in the biggest moment at the most important times with the Pats he was becoming a liability.   Welker catching 110 balls in the regular season means nothing when you drop the most crucial balls at the most important moment in the post season.  That's like hitting 60 home runs in the regular season in baseball and striking out in the playoffs and world series.

He was never concussed in NE in six seasons. Three times in Denver in a year.

Please don't act like you just think it's the city he plays for. Just say the real reason.

no disrespect to peyton, but he does have a habit of getting his wrs and TEs killed over the middle like collie and clark

Ooh wait CR91 helped you.

He was never concussed in NE in six seasons. Three times in Denver in a year.

That still doesn't explain why he's more prone to concussions in Denver.  I saw the remark that Peyton tends to throw over the middle alot, but so does Brady.  There were so many hits that Welker took, i'ts amazing he never recorded a concussion. 

lol. Sure he does. With the concussion protocol he would be out of the league.

The concussion protocol was a joke until 2013 (Welkers first season in Denver mind you) mandated that potential concussions be reviewed by an independent neurologist.  So if anything, jvan's point about BB pushing players to play with concussions still stands.

That still doesn't explain why he's more prone to concussions in Denver.  I saw the remark that Peyton tends to throw over the middle alot, but so does Brady.  There were so many hits that Welker took, i'ts amazing he never recorded a concussion. 

Yeah, could be just wear or tear or the Manning/Brady thing but I think it may be more due to learning a brand new offense at age 32. Manning is a very demanding QB like Brady and he wants his receivers a specific spot. I remember Welker saying last off-season that he was having a tough time because if he was not where he was supposed to be then Manning would not throw the ball to him. So I think that more than anything may have contributed to the injuries.

The concussion protocol was a joke until 2013 (Welkers first season in Denver mind you) mandated that potential concussions be reviewed by an independent neurologist.  So if anything, jvan's point about BB pushing players to play with concussions still stands.

Give me proof? You could make that claim about any NFL coach. Bill has a history of manipulating the injury report in terms of listing half the team on it but not playing guys who are injured. Ted Johnson admitted that he got back on the field sooner then he should have because he didn't want to lose his job. That is more of a motivating fear for all players vs coaches pushing them back too soon. And the Pats, unlike most teams have very capable back ups to take anyone's spot.

Yeah, Ted said BB pushes his players to play with concussions

All coaches did that to an extent, jvan. I know what Ted Johnson said but that was how it worked league-wide, not just in NE. 

Do you think Bill Parcells circa 1996 would have said, "Aww buddy, sorry you're not feeling well. Why don't you sit out this week's game until those dizzy spells go away? I'll buy you a program and some popcorn and you can sit on the bench right next to me." 

You're a well-informed fan, I'm sure you know that the current protocols have only been in place for a couple of years. You can't be hyper-critical about the way one coach handled it before it became a hot topic, and ignore the fact that the entire league acted in the same manner. 

Troy Aikman, Merrill Hodge, Junior Seau... heck, Wayne Chrebet was knocked out cold during a game, and then later sent back in by the Jets' team doctor. 

Ted Johnson, for all intents and purposes, played in a different era of football. He retired two years before Welker even arrived in NE. 

All coaches did that to an extent, jvan. I know what Ted Johnson said but that was how it worked league-wide, not just in NE. 

Do you think Bill Parcells circa 1996 would have said, "Aww buddy, sorry you're not feeling well. Why don't you sit out this week's game until those dizzy spells go away? I'll buy you a program and some popcorn and you can sit on the bench right next to me." 

You're a well-informed fan, I'm sure you know that the current protocols have only been in place for a couple of years. You can't be hyper-critical about the way one coach handled it before it became a hot topic, and ignore the fact that the entire league acted in the same manner. 

Troy Aikman, Merrill Hodge, Junior Seau... heck, Wayne Chrebet was knocked out cold during a game, and then later sent back in by the Jets' team doctor. 

Ted Johnson, for all intents and purposes, played in a different era of football. He retired two years before Welker even arrived in NE. 

Good points. Previous to the concussion protocol, head injuries were just treated with smelling salts. lol. But that hit Welker took in the KC game was brutal. No player was coming back into the game after that.

Give me proof? You could make that claim about any NFL coach. Bill has a history of manipulating the injury report in terms of listing half the team on it but not playing guys who are injured. Ted Johnson admitted that he got back on the field sooner then he should have because he didn't want to lose his job. That is more of a motivating fear for all players vs coaches pushing them back too soon. And the Pats, unlike most teams have very capable back ups to take anyone's spot.

That's jvan's point to prove, I just was pointing out that your response to it didn't dispell the argument. I think a great majority of players did it to get back on the field, which really, if you think about it, supports the argument that Welker would have bene concussed in NE and no one but Welker and a select few knew about it. Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me who Welker plays for, I've always liked the guy. I just disagree with you that he would have been concussed in DEN and not in NE. There's really nothing to support that argument other than speculation.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=2751614&src=desktop

He said bill forced him to practice

Yeah, could be just wear or tear or the Manning/Brady thing but I think it may be more due to learning a brand new offense at age 32. Manning is a very demanding QB like Brady and he wants his receivers a specific spot. I remember Welker saying last off-season that he was having a tough time because if he was not where he was supposed to be then Manning would not throw the ball to him. So I think that more than anything may have contributed to the injuries.

Wear and tear is another explanation.  I find it harder to believe that he never had a concussion being an over the middle slot guy until last year and has had 2 more since then.  But then again, I'm no doctor.  That said, I do know that once you get the first, subsequent concussions are more likely, especially with age.  There could be a litany of reasons why, but there could also be a litany of reasons why they started coming up after the concussion protocol changed in 2013...who knows other than Welker?

That's jvan's point to prove, I just was pointing out that your response to it didn't dispell the argument. I think a great majority of players did it to get back on the field, which really, if you think about it, supports the argument that Welker would have bene concussed in NE and no one but Welker and a select few knew about it. Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me who Welker plays for, I've always liked the guy. I just disagree with you that he would have been concussed in DEN and not in NE. There's really nothing to support that argument other than speculation.

I don't have to prove anything. Six years no concussions. One year, three concussions. The burden is on Jvan, not me.

So? Most NFL players practice when they are injured. Bill had said that if Ted was not able to go he should have told him. Like I said, Ted said he did not because he was afraid of losing his job to the back up. Such is the life of an NFL player.

Wear and tear is another explanation.  I find it harder to believe that he never had a concussion being an over the middle slot guy until last year and has had 2 more since then.  But then again, I'm no doctor.  That said, I do know that once you get the first, subsequent concussions are more likely, especially with age.  There could be a litany of reasons why, but there could also be a litany of reasons why they started coming up after the concussion protocol changed in 2013...who knows other than Welker?

I would put the blame mostly on Manning. He has a history of getting his guys concussed.

So? Most NFL players practice when they are injured. Bill had said that if Ted was not able to go he should have told him. Like I said, Ted said he did not because he was afraid of losing his job to the back up. Such is the life of an NFL player.

But he never did that to another player. Gotcha, I'm sure it was an isolated incident..

Until there is evidence and proof that Welker was playing with concussions in NE it's all conspiracy and based on hate by Colts fans who are just for some reason resentful or jealous that Welker didn't get concussions in NE.  As if it's NE's fault Welker didn't get as many concussions in NE as he has in Denver.  lol

"How dare Welker not get concussions in NE like he has in Denver."

And it's actually the Broncos who were going to start Welker this thursday night for game 1 of the season if he didn't get suspended.  So it's actually the Broncos forcing Welker to play and keep playing after every concussion.  Take it up with the Broncos, it's their fault no the Patriots.

It's no longer the Pats' problems as they were lucky to get rid of Welker at the right time.  Whether it's by luck or just brilliant managing of player's careers the Pats got the better end of the stick.

But he never did that to another player. Gotcha, I'm sure it was an isolated incident..

jvan you are soooooooo reaching on this one dude. 

Of course Belichick pushed his players, every coach in the NFL did. The league said concussions went up by 14% after 2012, the year some of the current protocols were implemented. You really think there were 14% more occurrences or do you think that the league, finally and collectively, opened their eyes to the problem? 

You'll ignore that just to defend Peyton Manning's arm strength? 

Belichick is not a warm-and-fuzzy guy, but there are countless examples of guys he never coached who have had serious neurological problems as a result of their playing days. 

jvan you are soooooooo reaching on this one dude.

Of course Belichick pushed his players, every coach in the NFL did. The league said concussions went up by 14% after 2012, the year some of the current protocols were implemented. You really think there were 14% more occurrences or do you think that the league, finally and collectively, opened their eyes to the problem?

You'll ignore that just to defend Peyton Manning's arm strength?

Belichick is not a warm-and-fuzzy guy, but there are countless examples of guys he never coached who have had serious neurological problems as a result of their playing days.

That's the point i was trying to make initially. Relying on concussion occurrences prior to last season is naive