Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amfootball

Wes Welker suspended 4 games (merge)

If Welker really did take a drug/drugs and if these drug/drugs were needed to overcome Welker's concussion syndrome to get him able enough to play then this adds more fuel to the fire on many issues of the psych of a football player and Welker as an individual.  Even being told by doctors of life threatening effects of concussions to then try to put a band-aid on it by taking dangerous drugs shows that person has big problems.

The possibilities of this below...

1.) Welker's obsession and love for the game where he can't let it go.

2.) Peer pressure from teammates and coaching staff to "suck it up and be a man."

3.) Not enough love and support from family to convince him to retire.

I wish just once one of these players would actually just own up to making a mistake.

I bet you were just absolutely, "Shocked" Wes. Because amphetamines just magically find their way into your body.

Clearly this is a flaw in the system, and has nothing to do with you.

Welker's statement on his suspension:

"I'm as shocked as everyone at todays news," Welker said in an e-mail to The Denver Post. "I want to make one thing abundantly clear: I would NEVER knowingly take a substance to gain a competitive advantage in any way. Anyone who has ever played a down with me, lifted a weight with me, even eaten a meal with me, knows that I focus purely on what I put in my body and on the hard work I put in year round to perform at the highest levels year-in and year-out.

"I want any youth football players and all sports fans to know, there are NO shortcuts to success, and nothing but hard work and studying, leads to success.

"I have never been concerned with the leagues performance enhancing or drug abuse policies because under no scenario would they ever apply to me, but I now know, that (drug-policy procedures) are clearly flawed, and I will do everything in my power to ensure they are corrected, so other individuals and teams aren't negatively affected so rashly like this.

"I have worked my whole life to be the best that I can be, and I have encountered many obstacles over my career, and THIS WILL BE NO DIFFERENT!

"Thank you for the outpouring of support, and I want Bronco nation to know, that no one and no thing will get in the way of our goal as a team, to bring Mr. Bowlen the trophy he and this great region deserve."

Sedano and Mark Schlereth were discussing this tonight...said at the Derby he won $15,000 on a bet and was "making it rain" and passing out hundreds to the crowd. If the Molly story is true, that would make a lot of sense. The failed test was in May....so I doubt it was amphetamines to improve cognitive function. He popped a Molly that was cut with amphetamines and got busted. And Schlereth mentioned that the NFL can call you at any time/any place and demand you show up for a drug test. He was once tested in Jamaica! They contract with toxicology companies so they can get a player's specimen pretty much anywhere. From the behavior at the Derby my conclusion is he took Molly. The stuff is pretty dangerous compared to traditional Ecstasy, and can contain tons of other chemicals. If true, dangerous move by Welker....just my opinion

Wes Welker - WR - BroncosThe Denver Post's Mike Klis reports the Broncos believe suspended WR Wes Welker will play Week 1 against the Colts.Per Klis, the Broncos think they'll have Welker this week because "suspensions are never announced this late in week" with the "game plan" already "in place." Okay. It's only Tuesday. We're not sure what to make of this, as we've never seen a suspended player allowed to play because the suspension was announced on a certain day of the week. It would obviously be an immediate boost for fantasy owners, but Welker is still getting a four-game ban. He's simply either going to be back Week 6 or 7. We'll update when details are available

Really? Please tell me what amphetamines have conclusive post concussion therapy success? Also, he failed the test in may, not December.

.....adderall (an amphetamine) can be prescribed (or simply taken) for post concussion syndrome..

...what this indicates to me is that he continued to have problems long after the season ended./

Its not a good sign above and beyond the 4 games.....

"I'm as shocked as everyone at todays news," Welker said in an e-mail to The Denver Post. "I want to make one thing abundantly clear: I would NEVER knowingly take a substance to gain a competitive advantage in any way. Anyone who has ever played a down with me, lifted a weight with me, even eaten a meal with me, knows that I focus purely on what I put in my body and on the hard work I put in year round to perform at the highest levels year-in and year-out.

"I want any youth football players and all sports fans to know, there are NO shortcuts to success, and nothing but hard work and studying, leads to success.

"I have never been concerned with the leagues performance enhancing or drug abuse policies because under no scenario would they ever apply to me, but I now know, that (drug-policy procedures) are clearly flawed, and I will do everything in my power to ensure they are corrected, so other individuals and teams aren't negatively affected so rashly like this.

"I have worked my whole life to be the best that I can be, and I have encountered many obstacles over my career, and THIS WILL BE NO DIFFERENT!

"Thank you for the outpouring of support, and I want Bronco nation to know, that no one and no thing will get in the way of our goal as a team, to bring Mr. Bowlen the trophy he and this great region deserve."

Sounds like he took this in connection with his concussion problems....

@MikeKlis: Broncos believe Wes Welker is playing Sunday vs. Colts. Suspensions never announced this late in week. Game plan in place.

Don't understand how he can play, I mean Irsay's suspension starts tomorrow so why not Welker's?

He cannot play..his appeal has been denied

If Welker really did take a drug/drugs and if these drug/drugs were needed to overcome Welker's concussion syndrome to get him able enough to play then this adds more fuel to the fire on many issues of the psych of a football player and Welker as an individual.  Even being told by doctors of life threatening effects of concussions to then try to put a band-aid on it by taking dangerous drugs shows that person has big problems.

That's the real issue here....

he's trying to hang on and maybe he shouldn't. I'm not unhappy he has to sit four games.

That's four less times he can be knocked out

I predict it before that it will definitely happen. He is violating the NFL’s policy against performance-enhancing drugs. Hope from the next time, he won't do this.

Sounds like he took this in connection with his concussion problems....

Nothing in that statement points to that at all. Google "Molly" that is what he was doing I'm sure.

or he was partying and took some ecstasy . Not uncommon

Well he did say he chose Denver over NE because he could be himself more. ;)

Does Welker know Amphs do not help you conceive a baby? ;)

I mean come on already. He never concerned himself with the NFL drug policy? And yet now he is on a mission to "correct" the policy? Any respect I had for this guy is completely gone now. Wow. Just wow.

Maybe it has to with the concussions but Welker has always struck me as kind of a nut. I think in NE they railed him in which he did not like. Either way this is lousy for him. Denver's first four games are against teams with 10 wins or more from last year and he is still Manning's best third down option. There is also some talk that he may play vs the Colts as the suspension came down late.

Something to ponder before judging Welker too harshly...

My wife was out at her bachelorette party and her and the girls went to a club here in Indy on Mass Ave.  She ordered an "Ecstacy Martini" and drank it without another thought, thinking it was just a clever name.

Turns out it was actually laced with Ecstacy and she ended up going to the hospital because she was overheating so bad. Blood tests showed it was in fact ecstacy.

So it is not entirely out of the realm of possibility that Welker was given a drink, probably a Mint Julip as that is a common Derby drink, that was laced with Molly and he didn't even know it.

Not saying that is the case but just throwing it out there as a possibility.  Looking at Welker's past, he has never been in trouble for partying or any sort of drug use in his entire NFL career.  So that lends itself to be a plausible story. 

Again, just throwing it out there.

Well...

The party is clearly in Denver. Drunken kicker. Execs getting busted for DUIs. Now Welker.

If there's anything to the speculation that this is related to his post-concussion baseline testing and whatnot, then I feel very bad for him. I've been concussed three times (possibly more) in my life and I'm never sure if a headache or a "brain lapse" is just the result of normal stuff or not. But it's purely speculative with him at this point and I don't want to go there. 

I took a flier on Welker in my FF draft... he was still there in round 9 so I grabbed him, thinking he may not be available right away and is an injury risk. Whoops.

Bill could not have been anymore right about Wes Welker. The wheels have come off. His durability that was his hallmark is gone and now suspension for amphetamines. Welker said he was happy to go to Denver so he could be "more himself." Well, here it is. Suspended for four games. He will forfeit his pay for those four games and Denver could also ask for some of his $7mil signing bonus as well. When all is said and done, he may make less then what NE offered him.

Didn't Welker fail this drug test back in May and he contested it then?  Seems like a pretty big coincidence that all of a sudden a few days before the season starts right after he gets concussed that this news would leak out and the NFL would suspend him now.

My gut instinct tells me this is all orchestrated by the NFL to send Welker a message that he's not playing due to his concussions and they used this drug test as a way to force Welker not to play.  It's a shady way of saying you care about someone'e health and prevent them from playing.

Well...

The party is clearly in Denver. Drunken kicker. Execs getting busted for DUIs. Now Welker.

If there's anything to the speculation that this is related to his post-concussion baseline testing and whatnot, then I feel very bad for him. I've been concussed three times (possibly more) in my life and I'm never sure if a headache or a "brain lapse" is just the result of normal stuff or not. But it's purely speculative with him at this point and I don't want to go there. 

I took a flier on Welker in my FF draft... he was still there in round 9 so I grabbed him, thinking he may not be available right away and is an injury risk. Whoops.

I am guessing Talib is the next to fall. He had a history of off-field stuff with Tampa. He was great here in NE but all bets off now that he is with Denver ...

Didn't Welker fail this drug test back in May and he contested it then?  Seems like a pretty big coincidence that all of a sudden a few days before the season starts right after he gets concussed that this news would leak out and the NFL would suspend him now.

My gut instinct tells me this is all orchestrated by the NFL to send Welker a message that he's not playing due to his concussions and they used this drug test as a way to force Welker not to play.  It's a shady way of saying you care about someone'e health and prevent them from playing.

Yeah, probably not.

Bill could not have been anymore right about Wes Welker. The wheels have come off. His durability that was his hallmark is gone and now suspension for amphetamines. Welker said he was happy to go to Denver so he could be "more himself." Well, here it is. Suspended for four games. He will forfeit his pay for those four games and Denver could also ask for some of his $7mil signing bonus as well. When all is said and done, he may make less then what NE offered him.

What is it with you ~ and Why is it ~  when someone is a player with the Patriots they're the best thing since sliced bread, and then when they go to another team you can't wait to Dog them.   I have lost count of how many threads you've started dogging ex-Patriot players.

I am in no way defending Welker, so get that straight ~    He got caught, he's paying the price.   I also read that he's saying someone spiked his drink at the Kentucky Derby   :scratch:   I wonder who could have done that   :?:

Didn't Welker fail this drug test back in May and he contested it then? Seems like a pretty big coincidence that all of a sudden a few days before the season starts right after he gets concussed that this news would leak out and the NFL would suspend him now.

My gut instinct tells me this is all orchestrated by the NFL to send Welker a message that he's not playing due to his concussions and they used this drug test as a way to force Welker not to play. It's a shady way of saying you care about someone'e health and prevent them from playing.

Yeah, i highly doubt that's the case. It may be a good thing for Welker and the broncos, but it wasn't orchestrated by the league. He appealed it and lost

What is it with you ~ and Why is it ~  when someone is a player with the Patriots they're the best thing since sliced bread, and then when they go to another team you can't wait to Dog them.   I have lost count of how many threads you've started dogging ex-Patriot players.

I am in no way defending Welker, so get that straight ~    He got caught, he's paying the price.   I also read that he's saying someone spiked his drink at the Kentucky Derby   :scratch:   I wonder who could have done that   :?:

Who else have I "dogged?"

Who else have I "dogged?"

Mankins and talib.

I really don't care what happens with Weker, but i don't think another topic on this was necessary.

Mankins and talib.

I really don't care what happens with Weker, but i don't think another topic on this was necessary.

yeah, those are two that come to mind

Mankins and talib.

Wrong on both accounts.

Wrong on both accounts.

No, no I'm not. I'm not gonna bother searching your posts, but you have dogged them both since their departure from new england

Wes Welker, Walter White yes it all makes sense he is Breaking Bad and Goodell is like Hank, yes I see it now. WW=WW, Blue meth and the Blue horse shoe, full report yet to come.

http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8345157c669e201a511baa22b970c-800wi

a picture is worth 1000 words, yes? I need to get in contact with Skip Bayless stat! the hat the glasses the wads of cash, hmm. Truth is stranger than fiction, conspiracy ifin I ever seent one!

No, no I'm not. I'm not gonna bother searching your posts, but you have dogged them both since their departure from new england

Wrong again. I never dogged Mankins. You may have me confused with Virludant. And you should check my posts as I posted repeatedly that I wanted Talib back with the Pats and was upset when he left at the Pats UNTIL they signed Revis. Who is better.