Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shape Of Our 2012 Draft May Depend On Denver/seattle

No one knows what the status of Peyton's nerves are going to be like come April 2012 but some have talked about stocking the team with talent. This may only be possible if Seattle and Denver are looking to trade up for Luck.

Assumption: Colts are 1st Overall in the Draft

I have color coded what I think the teams propensity will be for drafting a quarterback in the 2012 draft (red=high) (orange=likely). I rated the Colts at red but if Peyton shows by April that he can throw the ball like he used to (distance and accuracy) then we may fall to orange or completely off the QB need list...although I think it would be wise to consider a QB later on just because we now know what we have in Painter and Orlovsky. That is one good thing that has come out of this year...certainty on what we don't have at the #2 QB spot. Now back to the the draft...

Even though Miami won today, they won't "sell the farm" in picks to acquire Luck as they are in position for Matt Barkley, Robert Griffin III, or Landry Jones. Everything really hinges on what Seattle or Denver (and possibly Cleveland) is willing to do for Luck. If they trade up then our only hope of acquiring a quarterback may be in Arizona's Nick Foles who I think would be great to have sit behind Manning for a couple of years. Seattle's QB roster includes Tavaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst...enough said. Tebow may make the headlines but there is no doubt that Elway wants a true "pocket passer" behind center.

Top Quarterbacks:

Andrew Luck

Matt Barkley

Landry Jones

Robert Griffin III - (has indicated that he might return to school in 2012 making him a 2013 prospect)

Nick Foles

1. Indianapolis (0-10)
  2. St. Louis (2-8)
  3. Carolina (2-8)
  4. Minnesota (2-8)
  5. Miami (3-7)
  6. Washington (3-7)
  7. Arizona (3-7)
  8. Jacksonville (3-7)
  9. Cleveland (3-6)
  10. Philadelphia (4-6)
  11. Seattle (4-6)
  12. Kansas City (4-5)
  13. San Diego (4-6)
  14. Tampa Bay (4-6)
  15. Denver (5-5)
  16. Tennessee (5-5)
  17. Buffalo (5-5)
  18. Cleveland - from Atlanta (6-4)
  19. Cincinnati (6-4)
  20. Detroit (7-3)
  21. Houston* (7-3)
  22. New York Jets* (5-4)
  23. Dallas* (6-4)
  24. Chicago* (7-3)
  25. Cincinnati - from Oakland* (5-4)
  26. New York Giants* (6-4)
  27. Baltimore* (7-3)
  28. New England - from New Orleans* (7-3)
  29. San Francisco* (9-1)
  30. New England* (6-3)
  31. Pittsburgh* (7-3)
  32. Green Bay* (10-0)

So the number one pick is pretty much a guarantee. I don't think Denver will trade up after what they've seen with Tebow. They're actually making a playoff run... Seattle may, but I think they'd be happy with either Jones Barkley or Griffin. BTW, when you named those 5 QBs, don't mention Foles, he's terrible. I know his D is bad, but he's not very good. Tannenhill is better.

I think a team you can think about trading up are the Viks. Ponder is a great QB, but if they're at number 4 or 3, they may want to put a guy like Kevin Williams on the line and trade up for the holy grail. Panthers and Rams are fine.

I really hope RG3 stays in college. This is guy guy i want the colts to get, but just not with a top 10 this year that he is looking like he might become. Then next year after trading the pick to another team hopefully that team will have an early pick so we can grab him. While still having our first pick with the 32nd overall.

And i Believe San Fran is a team you could consider for a trade. Harbaugh would love to have luck back, but it is looking that they will have a 20-32 (highest and lowest). The bad part about this draft is that it would take us all the way back to where we usually draft. But with a top run game and defense, the good news is that we could probably get something as crazy as: 3 1sts, 2 2nds, 2 3rds. Because they might feel they are a true QB away from being great, which they very well might be. Having 2 first rounds the next 3 years could be fun. Plus we could still get a quality guard/DB. Just another scenario that you didn't account for.

So the number one pick is pretty much a guarantee. I don't think Denver will trade up after what they've seen with Tebow. They're actually making a playoff run... Seattle may, but I think they'd be happy with either Jones Barkley or Griffin. BTW, when you named those 5 QBs, don't mention Foles, he's terrible. I know his D is bad, but he's not very good. Tannenhill is better. I think a team you can think about trading up are the Viks. Ponder is a great QB, but if they're at number 4 or 3, they may want to put a guy like Kevin Williams on the line and trade up for the holy grail. Panthers and Rams are fine.

Andy......Jason's gonna get you for that. rotfl

jason.jpg

You know its funny.

So many people on this board complain about our "bust" picks in the first round.

Now , people want to trade out of the 1st, to go back down where we usually pick.

The 'great ones" are at the top of the draft. If you want a QB, you take the guy you think is best. You only move down if you think you can still get him.

You know its funny.

So many people on this board complain about our "bust" picks in the first round.

Now , people want to trade out of the 1st, to go back down where we usually pick.

The 'great ones" are at the top of the draft. If you want a QB, you take the guy you think is best. You only move down if you think you can still get him.

the Colts "busts" have been in the mid to late 20's. Who has said to trade back that far?

The Vikings won't trade up for Luck(Ponder looks really good), but the Bronocos would (Elway isn't digging Tebow). The 49ers have Copernick (however you spell it) who hasn't been given a chance to develop yet...I don't think they trade up. The Jets are crazy enough to try it but Sanchez isn't tradeable. I think the Redskins and the Seahawks are the prohibitive favorites if anybody does.

I believe Vince Young will play himself into a starting role with some team because the Eagles are showcasing him now. I don't care for him, but it will probably happen.