Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts cuts: 53 man roster (Official Thread)

TKnight24

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the off field issues, the knock on Purifoy was that he is not strong. He is also a little slow for a corner. Like others, I hope the Colts try him at safety, if he can get stronger. That's what NFL conditioning programs are for, right?

He puts in some size I think he'd make a good safety. He just seemed to have natural instincts and not afraid to lay a lick on someone.

I thought he was pretty good, but really no room here with Gordy and Butler.  Also with them keeping Purifoy

Every single snap I looked at Purifoy in that Bengals game I really felt like he would be really good as safety and I still feel that way.  He has all the size, instincts, cover skills and willingness for contact that the position would require.

Exactly, I think Purifoy had more value for our roster -- Burley wouldn't see the field ahead of Butler and probably not ahead of Gordy.  He played well, but between him and Purifoy for the last spot, Purifoy is a better special teamer and I think has more upside and versatility.  I don't think either Burley or Purifoy would have cleared waivers and made it to our P.S., so I am glad we got something in return.

Exactly, I think Purifoy had more value for our roster -- Burley wouldn't see the field ahead of Butler and probably not ahead of Gordy.  He played well, but between him and Purifoy for the last spot, Purifoy is a better special teamer and I think has more upside and versatility.  I don't think either Burley or Purifoy would have cleared waivers and made it to our P.S., so I am glad we got something in return.

I agree overall.  I suspect if and when they get smart enough to move Purifoy to safety they are going to unearth something pretty good.  The only thing I say is he may need to gain about 10 more pounds of muscle mass.  I think he'd be really good covering those tight ends and the deep halves.  He was already good with the blitz in college.

Michael Sam got released... that's sure to make headlines.

Meaning wasn't good enough to make the 53. Hey, I'm sure he can still keep working and improve. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about this dude. Who cares if he's gay, either you can play or you can't. Can't watch anything without race, religion and sexual preference being talked about non stop.

Hollywood (inclusive name for the entertainment industry-which the sports world is now part of) loves this stuff.  When interest wanes, they'll bring it back up.

Not bad at all. Just too much media attention (what you called "baggage")

Media destroyed the man's career partly

Bears gonna sign him though cause their GM was targeting him after the draft

Yep, that's what I meant by "baggage" and it's not even his fault. I honestly think it's ridiculous how much the media covers it, just let him be and focus on football. I was honestly amazed with his production even with all the background "noise". I hope he gets a legitimate shot at a roster and maybe even some playing time. He deserves it after showing up in preseason like he did.

I think the bears would be a good fit for him, much better fit then our defense. 

Does Mathis count in the 53 man roster right now? If not, then when his suspension is up, then what happens, will someone be cut at that time? Someone may have already asked, and if they did, sorry :)

Right now? No

Won't count on the roster until week 5 against the Ravens

By then Da'Rick Rogers will be gone anyway so we're good

I want to get on the topic of Sergio Brown.  I certainly see the value he has as a special teams ace, but I honestly don't think he brings a lot of value at the safety position.  Virtually none if you ask my opinion, but again who am I?

It has been well reported how RJF has had a poor training camp.

He did very little last year, and nothing this preseason.

So I would disagree he is a good player. However, since we have no other players to replace him (and cutting him would result in major "dead cap money" I expect RJF stays one more year.

Where has this been well reported?  I haven't heard anything of the sort.

I want to get on the topic of Sergio Brown. I certainly see the value he has as a special teams ace, but I honestly don't think he brings a lot of value at the safety position. Virtually none if you ask my opinion, but again who am I?

He doesn't bring any value to safety

But because of his Ace nature on ST, he'll have a spot on our 53

Does Mathis count in the 53 man roster right now?  If not, then when his suspension is up, then what happens, will someone be cut at that time?  Someone may have already asked, and if they did, sorry   :)

Correct.  When he gets back after the 4 games, someone must be cut.

He doesn't bring any value to safety

But because of his Ace nature on ST, he'll have a spot on our 53

I remember Lefeged was our special teams ace before we got rid of him I believe for Brown.  I think Brown is a little bit better than Lefeged on ST, but I wonder if we could get someone who is pretty adequate at both as a replacement for Brown.  I'm just wondering out loud and not saying we should cut him.  I do like him but I'm just putting the subject up for discussion.

I remember Lefeged was our special teams ace before we got rid of him I believe for Brown. I think Brown is a little bit better than Lefeged on ST, but I wonder if we could get someone who is pretty adequate at both as a replacement for Brown. I'm just wondering out loud and not saying we should cut him. I do like him but I'm just putting the subject up for discussion.

Joe also was arrested for illegal posession of a firearm and running from police prior to his release.

Surprises:

I would say Tipton and Austin making it. 

Those were my surprise for sure especially Austin maybe just holding him until Mathis comes back and we can sort out the O LIne. Tipton had PS written all over him to me. Could mean Bradshaw isn't holding up as well as hoped. Better backs available in my eyes

Joe also was arrested for illegal posession of a firearm and running from police prior to his release.

That is true, but what I am questioning is the difficulty of replacing a guy who only brings value on special teams.

I do see Sergios' value don't get me wrong and I'm not calling for his head, but I am saying it didn't seem like it

was that hard to replace what Lefeged did with a slightly better guy.  But to be honest I think Lefeged may have 

been a slightly better safety than Sergio.

Those were my surprise for sure especially Austin maybe just holding him until Mathis comes back and we can sort out the O LIne. Tipton had PS written all over him to me. Could mean Bradshaw isn't holding up as well as hoped. Better backs available in my eyes

I'll take the young guys Tipton & Boom over all the backs available including Green-Ellis

Gotta see what you have in your young guys. We're a young team, let the team grow together

If we can get this offensive line to stop being offensive, our RB core could be a top 10 in the NFL

I'll take the young guys Tipton & Boom over all the backs available including Green-Ellis

Gotta see what you have in your young guys. We're a young team, let the team grow together

If we can get this offensive line to stop being offensive, our RB core could be a top 10 in the NFL

I agree

I like him a lot more this year than I did last year.  Never really cared for him playing OLB (though the fact he can and has experience there is good) but liked him quite a bit at ILB. 

Hard nose old school linebacker.  Kid is tough, kind of reminds me maybe of Rocky Boiman and Rocky Calmus that used to play for the Titans.  Actually I think Boiman ended up playing for the Colts for a while under Dungy too. 

I haven't had time to look around too much but Josey Henry jumped out at me at RB then  Chud took CB McFadden in the 3rd round last year I believe

S's  Inhenacho and Lester from the Pathers are guys I would look at.

Overall happy with the 53 Austin has played some G as well that one was my biggest surprise.

I haven't had time to look around too much but Josey Henry jumped out at me at RB then  Chud took CB McFadden in the 3rd round last year I believe

S's  Inhenacho and Lester from the Pathers are guys I would look at.

Overall happy with the 53 Austin has played some G as well that one was my biggest surprise.

Austin could be the first guy to go

I remember Lefeged was our special teams ace before we got rid of him I believe for Brown.  I think Brown is a little bit better than Lefeged on ST, but I wonder if we could get someone who is pretty adequate at both as a replacement for Brown.  I'm just wondering out loud and not saying we should cut him.  I do like him but I'm just putting the subject up for discussion.

Lefeged was awesome at downing punts before they rolled in the end zone for a touchback. I guess Brown may have done that a few times too, but that really seemed to be Lefegeds claim to fame...

& that came in handy in a few games

I think Lache Seastrunk could do some things similar to Donald Brown for us. He's about the same size and speed as Donald Brown maybe a little faster than Brown with better moves.  It wouldn't shock me if Grigs made a move on him if available, I think we could use a back like this on the practice squad or maybe even on the 53.  For him it would be more like the practice squad I think.  I still think we lack that home run hitter on our team.