Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TKnight24

Colts cuts: 53 man roster (Official Thread)

WOW!!!!!

@HolderStephen: A source told me the Seahawks think Burley is a candidate to play nickel corner. That's high praise

Why trade Burley. I think that comes back to bite us honestly. He was better than purifoy.

Purifoy has a higher ceiling and I think is better on STs -- I was thinking it'd be very tough to select the last CB for this squad between Purifoy and Burley, so I am glad we at least got something for one of them.  I bet Price goes back to P.S.

I didn't realize the Broncos also got rid of Duke Ihenacho as well.  

#Broncos waive SS Duke Ihenacho; rookie LB Shaq Barrett. Ihenacho a 17-game starter last yr. Beat out by T.J. Ward/Quinton Carter this year.

— Mike Klis (@MikeKlis)

August 30, 2014

Maybe we sign Duke and then if Landry gets hurt we have the Broncos starting safeties from last year as our starters with Duke and Adams.

I would definitely look at picking up Ihenacho. Could be a good starter if (when) a safety gets hurt. Don't really think Colt Anderson would do it for more than special teams. 

And we were right. Rayford didn't do anything for the Cowboys, and we got a pick out of it.

EDIT: That pick for Rayford comes in the 2015 draft also.

In fact Rayford just got cut

Depends on who we sign. I won't be surprised if a couple vets are signed.

I just did some quick and probably sloppy math, and it looks like our 53 man roster plus IR is going to keep us with just over $17m in cap space for 2014. Of course, any pending moves will change this figure, but because we kept some UDFAs and cut a few higher paid vets (Sheppard, Saunders, McKinney, etc.), we're pretty much neutral to where we were with the top 51 number.

I wont be surprised if we bring in Joe McKnight-Jets for Return duties, He probably gets cut. Marcus Thigpen-Dolphins is another, Justin Forsett-Ravens...Leon Washington-Titans...But I don't think that happens though.

He's on the Chiefs not the Jets

In fact Rayford just got cut

Exactly. We could re-sign him if we wanted, and still have the 7th rounder we gave up for him. No way was that a bad trade, despite The Great Outcry of August 2013.

I would definitely look at picking up Ihenacho. Could be a good starter if (when) a safety gets hurt. Don't really think Colt Anderson would do it for more than special teams.

He's be much better than Anderson unless he's expecting to start somewhere.

First impressions:  We keep Austin because Holmes and Harrison are not ready for Week 1.  Delano Howell's injury is serious enough that the Colts think no one will claim him; worst case scenario, he is done with football. The Colts believe Reitz and Nixon will be healed soon.  We are very thin at safety.

Purifoy has a higher ceiling and I think is better on STs -- I was thinking it'd be very tough to select the last CB for this squad between Purifoy and Burley, so I am glad we at least got something for one of them.  I bet Price goes back to P.S.

Maybe we sign Duke and then if Landry gets hurt we have the Broncos starting safeties from last year as our starters with Duke and Adams.

It's possible....

First impressions:  We keep Austin because Holmes and Harrison are not ready for Week 1.  Delano Howell's injury is serious enough that the Colts think no one will claim him; worst case scenario, he is done with football. The Colts believe Reitz and Nixon will be healed soon.  We are very thin at safety.

Many people on this forum believe Purifoy can play a bit of safety, also Ed Reynolds and Craig Loston are safeties that I think we should strongly consider.

Many people on this forum believe Purifoy can play a bit of safety, also Ed Reynolds and Craig Loston are safeties that I think we should strongly consider.

I think Loston got waived over a failed drug test

He's be much better than Anderson unless he's expecting to start somewhere.

I think Adams is the starter. Anderson and Brown will be reserves, and special teams aces. We have two great gunners again.

I love Grigson as the GM :heart:

Why? Because his time to shine is coming shortly with all these cuts and opportunities for trades

:colts:

Michael Sam got released... that's sure to make headlines.

He's on the Chiefs not the Jets

WOW!!!!!

@HolderStephen: A source told me the Seahawks think Burley is a candidate to play nickel corner. That's high praise

I thought he was pretty good, but really no room here with Gordy and Butler.  Also with them keeping Purifoy

I love Grigson as the GM :heart:

Why? Because his time to shine is coming shortly with all these cuts and opportunities for trades

:colts:

yep

Rams released Michael Sam. 

No, I don't want him. He's not a good fit for our defense. But I think he'll get claimed by someone.

No, I don't want him. He's not a good fit for our defense. But I think he'll get claimed by someone.

Didn't his CFB team run a 3-4 defense?

Every single snap I looked at Purifoy in that Bengals game I really felt like he would be really good as safety and I still feel that way.  He has all the size, instincts, cover skills and willingness for contact that the position would require.

And sports center just reported it. Slightly interrupted the Alabama game just to say that....... They're gonna talk all week about it smh

Hate the media

He doesn't fit our system unless we brought him in just for blitz packages. I love his heart and first step, but he's not what we need right now. I wish him the absolute best though, he proved that he does belong in this league and that he can play.

Didn't his CFB team run a 3-4 defense?

I don't think so. Even if they did, he wasn't a LB. He's a 4-3 end, and not particularly quick or fluid in his movement, so no reason to project him to 3-4 OLB.

Every single snap I looked at Purifoy in that Bengals game I really felt like he would be really good as safety and I still feel that way.  He has all the size, instincts, cover skills and willingness for contact that the position would require.

I think it's worth a look.. Couldn't hurt.

There are dozens of veteran quarterbacks who have played in the NFL, and wish they were where Luck is now by their 10th year.

I'm sure there are, but that doesn't mean that what Gavin said isn't true

With that ESPN goes into meltdown.

I don't know if you remember, but Jerry Hughes was horrible for us.

Some guys just take a little longer to grow.. I thought he was just beginning to come around when he cut him. I proved to be right

He's a little wiry, but I agree with everything else.

Michael Sam got released... that's sure to make headlines.

Oh boy, that can't except that he's just not that good of a player.

Sam actually had a good preseason so saying he's not good is a tad bit invalid

Poor Champ Bailey..

Colts pick him up and make him a safety :36dancing:

I mean, he had a pretty good preseason. Granted so did Caesar Rayford and he's not very good. I think he's just too much "baggage" whether it's right or wrong. He was the SEC defensive player of the year, I mean he's not totally useless/bad. 

He's a little wiry, but I agree with everything else.

I'm cool with the draft pick we got for Burley so him getting traded away isn't bad either, but I think we could have kept him if we moved Purifoy over to safety perhaps.  Could be wrong

Colts pick him up and make him a safety :36dancing:

I mean, he had a pretty good preseason. Granted so did Caesar Rayford and he's not very good. I think he's just too much "baggage" whether it's right or wrong. He was the SEC defensive player of the year, I mean he's not totally useless/bad.

Not bad at all. Just too much media attention (what you called "baggage")

Media destroyed the man's career partly

Bears gonna sign him though cause their GM was targeting him after the draft

Sam actually had a good preseason so saying he's not good is a tad bit invalid

Meaning wasn't good enough to make the 53. Hey, I'm sure he can still keep working and improve. I'm just sick and tired of hearing about this dude. Who cares if he's gay, either you can play or you can't. Can't watch anything without race, religion and sexual preference being talked about non stop.