Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rogers' Stupidity Baffles Me

Andy

Punting the ball is one thing. Walking away from your coaches when they are talking to you unacceptable. But you think that's OK cause why?

When did this happen because I did not see it?  I watched it multiple times.  Pagano ripped into him as he was coming off the field and then if anything, Pagano walked away from Rogers, understandable because he was noticeably upset.  Then another coach, probably the WR coach, was talking to Rogers a few seconds later and I didn't see Rogers walking away from him either.  

He put forth little effort on the interception as well didn't come back to the ball just kind of let Manning have it.

Well to be at least somewhat fair, Rogers was running upfield and Harnish way underthrew the ball, which is understandable because he was under heavy pressure and throwing off his back foot.  So Rogers had to stop and reverse his momentum in a few short milliseconds whereas Manning was already in underneath coverage so in a much better position to pick off the underthrown ball.

His reason for punting the ball:

@HolderStephen: Da'Rick Rogers' explanation: He didn't know the celebration rules and what you can and can't do with the football. #Colts

Ok I don't buy his explanation for a second but it sounds like a typical interview answer.  He certainly wasn't going to come out and say that he was extremely frustrated only really getting a chance playing with a sub-par QB in Harnish who was playing behind a very sub-par 3rd/4th string OL.

I could care less about his talent, his upside, or his great catches. Without discipline and respect for authority, there is no team, just an individual.

It's not up to me whether he stays or goes, but I hope the staff doesn't weaken their connection with the players who do it right by showing it's ok to diss a head coach.....in game.

I didn't take his actions in ANY WAY as a diss to Pagano.  Pagano gave Rogers an earful and then Pagano walked away from Rogers.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in 4th row by the endzone that Rogers scored/punted in... And I thought it was hilarious

Definitely dumb for a bubble guy on a roster to do, but very funny lol

You mean you actually stayed at that game for that long?....Someone must have been buying the beer for you  :cool:

When did this happen because I did not see it?  I watched it multiple times.  Pagano ripped into him as he was coming off the field and then if anything, Pagano walked away from Rogers, understandable because he was noticeably upset.  Then another coach, probably the WR coach, was talking to Rogers a few seconds later and I didn't see Rogers walking away from him either.  

Well to be at least somewhat fair, Rogers was running upfield and Harnish way underthrew the ball, which is understandable because he was under heavy pressure and throwing off his back foot.  So Rogers had to stop and reverse his momentum in a few short milliseconds whereas Manning was already in underneath coverage so in a much better position to pick off the underthrown ball.

Ok I don't buy his explanation for a second but it sounds like a typical interview answer.  He certainly wasn't going to come out and say that he was extremely frustrated only really getting a chance playing with a sub-par QB in Harnish who was playing behind a very sub-par 3rd/4th string OL.

I didn't take his actions in ANY WAY as a diss to Pagano.  Pagano gave Rogers an earful and then Pagano walked away from Rogers.

Not really looking to fight about Roger's but from my view he had sat down in a soft spot and waited on the ball and on top of that made no attempt to stop Manning as he came from about 10 yards behind him to make the int. It looked to me if Rogers would of  went to the ball he would have caught he sat and waited then just kind of let Manning have it.

I will say I was watching on computer not a tv and the constant buffering with NFL.COM had me ready to throw the thing out the window and will now probably not buy the regular season package. Although l like watching being able to watch the condensed version of games. You can get a game in in like 45 mins. without missing a play.    

Not really looking to fight about Roger's but from my view he had sat down in a soft spot and waited on the ball and on top of that made no attempt to stop Manning as he came from about 10 yards behind him to make the int. It looked to me if Rogers would of  went to the ball he would have caught he sat and waited then just kind of let Manning have it.

I will say I was watching on computer not a tv and the constant buffering with NFL.COM had me ready to throw the thing out the window and will now probably not buy the regular season package. Although l like watching being able to watch the condensed version of games. You can get a game in in like 45 mins. without missing a play.    

That could be, I thought it happened the way I said but I'm not going to say conclusively because it was difficult to tell...it had looked like he had to stop his momentum and come back, which happens a lot on underthrown passes.  Harnish did seem to think, by his reaction, that Rogers should have come back harder for the ball but I'm not really going to take anything from Harnish as gospel. lol

Just by a show of hands, how many of you complaining about Rogers' immaturity are also calling for the team to sign Richie Incognito?

Just sayin...

Supply and Demand can be the girl who lives in apartment 23. ;)

Just for the record - I have no issues with Rogers. It was not that big of a deal to me. And I am also not against bringing in RI to talk to him, after the first week begins, so his contract in 2014 is not guaranteed. 

You mean you actually stayed at that game for that long?....Someone must have been buying the beer for you  :cool:

The tickets were free and they were great seats haha.. But it was definitely a struggle watching what we had on the field last night

Oh I am DVRing the game when NFL network aires it just to FF to his TD to watch the punt, I'm sure it's funny...

Not something you see every time you watch a game.

And how the game was going(didn't expect much week 4 of preseason), it was the highlight of the game

Just by a show of hands, how many of you complaining about Rogers' immaturity are also calling for the team to sign Richie Incognito?

Just sayin...

not I. I'd accept it he's brought in but it's not a move I would make.

For the record I accept if Rogers is here too and not exactly demanding his release either.

Seems people are making a much bigger deal out of this than what it is .....

Was it stupid on Roger's part ... yes

I didn't see anything that I thought was disrespectful towards coaches ... I agree with an earlier poster ... looked like Pagano had a few choice words than they both walked away. 

His excuse of not knowing the rules was nonsense, but it was not any worse than some of the excuses sometimes given by many other players and coaches at one time or another.

He still has some maturity issues, but he seems to have made significant improvements in that area and he doesn't sound like he is a problem player.

I agree he is probably frustrated ... he really didn't have a chance with Harnish and our terrible 3rd string to make many plays.  I know many have made the "he has potential" into a joke, but when I watch him with Hasselbeck I think you see flashes of the potential. Yes he still needs some work especially on his route running and It may never develop; but the skill and ability is there. 

Unless someone great gets cut or falls into our lap I hope we keep him and give him at least one more season/off season to develop  because I believe what he potentially could be is much harder to find than what we have at the end of the OL or S benches; or wasting a spot on a FB.

The Colts don't have the luxury of "waiting" on potential.     Esp from someone like DRR.     

OL and S is a NEED area currently and Indy will react accordingly.        

I can't believe all the love for a borderline 6th WR.   

Amazing...

Who would you rather roll the dice on...     a 6th WR or a former All Pro G who can come right in and start?

This team does not have the luxury of keeping 6 WR's ...   they just don't.      I don't like RI but if he can come in and act right and play "winning" football ... 

Then bring him in.        This front office has shown they are willing to roll the dice.   

Lets face it at the end of the day DRR is numbers casualty.       And he did himself NO favors the last pre season game.

But the fact Whalen got the night off tells me all I NEED to know about where they both stand.

Just sayin...

exactly...   he is here meh....   he gets cut ...    oh well...

He is a last resort WR.    He had his chances and Griff beat him out.

Nothing is given in the NFL it is earned.    And Griff "earned" his spot.

not I. I'd accept it he's brought in but it's not a move I would make.

For the record I accept if Rogers is here too and not exactly demanding his release either.

Who would you rather roll the dice on...     a 6th WR or a former All Pro G who can come right in and start?

This team does not have the luxury of keeping 6 WR's ...   they just don't.      I don't like RI but if he can come in and act right and play "winning" football ... 

Then bring him in.        This front office has shown they are willing to roll the dice.   

Lets face it at the end of the day DRR is numbers casualty.       And he did himself NO favors the last pre season game.

But the fact Whalen got the night off tells me all I NEED to know about where they both stand.

Well, uh, let's not overrate Incognito here. On the field, I think he'd make a difference for our team (or at least provide good depth), but he was never an All Pro. He's only been a Pro Bowler once, which is to his credit, but let's not write him into Canton.

However, there are people in this thread who are ready to bury Rogers because of his immaturity. And some of them are, at the same time, downplaying Incognito's far greater indiscretions. If we're talking about football, fine. If we're talking about off field stuff, fine. But when we start putting these two things together, for both players, some of these positions come across as two-faced, to me.

The Colts don't have the luxury of "waiting" on potential.     Esp from someone like DRR.     

OL and S is a NEED area currently and Indy will react accordingly.        

I can't believe all the love for a borderline 6th WR.   

Amazing...

If the choice boiled down to Rogers or an OL / S that what was a huge improvement over what we currently have than by all means trade/cut Rogers. 

But, if the choice is between Rogers and another end of the bench scrub extra OL or S that is not any (or only marginally) better than what we currently have and we can most likely pick up a relatively similar talent off the street than I would prefer to keep Rogers and go lean at OL or S, and pick up one if the need arises.

I would also rather have Rogers than any of our potential FBs

Good lord you know exactly what I mean..     

All Pro ..  Pro Bowl. ..  Outhouse..    Whatever...

He would be BY FAR the best interior lineman on this team.

Hey man I am not sticking up for dude but....  his team did vote him a captain...    I mean he is respected for his play.    by his piers.

Bring him in and see what happens..   

Well, uh, let's not overrate Incognito here. On the field, I think he'd make a difference for our team (or at least provide good depth), but he was never an All Pro. He's only been a Pro Bowler once, which is to his credit, but let's not write him into Canton.

However, there are people in this thread who are ready to bury Rogers because of his immaturity. And some of them are, at the same time, downplaying Incognito's far greater indiscretions. If we're talking about football, fine. If we're talking about off field stuff, fine. But when we start putting these two things together, for both players, some of these positions come across as two-faced, to me.

IMO ...  NO FB makes this team.    Allen and Sauders can do what they want out of that position.

If the choice boiled down to Rogers or an OL / S that what was a huge improvement over what we currently have than by all means trade/cut Rogers. 

But, if the choice is between Rogers and another end of the bench scrub extra OL or S that is not any (or only marginally) better than what we currently have and we can most likely pick up a relatively similar talent off the street than I would prefer to keep Rogers and go lean at OL or S, and pick up one if the need arises.

I would also rather have Rogers than any of our potential FBs

Just sayin...

CURSE YOU Superman for stating my point before I could as I read this post at 4AM!!!! Argh!!!!  hahaha.  =)  

I have no problem with Rogers except IS HE THE BEST OPTION we have and IS HE WORTH THE ROSTER SPOT?  

Apparently the coaching staff sees the value of D. Rogers unlike the OP and some of the other bashers on here!  I can hear Andy and Tknight grumbling as I type. Lol!  I'm just getting my jabs in boys so don't take it the wrong way.

Welcome to another season of Colts football Mr. Rogers.  Let's make it your neighborhood this year, and prove the doubters wrong.

I just watched the game on NFL Network and saw the play where Rogers punted the ball.

It was a dumb thing to do. But he did not deserve to get cut for it. Rogers made a few nice catches in the game and really looks the part (of a top NFL receiver).

Glad to see he will get another chance with the Colts.

OMG!  I couldn't agree with you more regarding the subject of him supposedly "dissing" Pagano.  That claim is so far from the truth you couldn't even see it with xray vision.  Pagano said his words and Da'rick took it like a man and went and sat his but on the bench. Whatever mouthing he was doing on the way to the bench you could tell he was trying to explain why he did what he did.  He was in no way trying to be a Thug or some kind of misfit.  I have to agree that on the surface his excuse sounded lame, but when you actually look at the tape you can kind of see that he was pretty shocked he got a penalty flag after the celebration so in some ways I can buy his explanation.

Seems people are making a much bigger deal out of this than what it is .....

Was it stupid on Roger's part ... yes

I didn't see anything that I thought was disrespectful towards coaches ... I agree with an earlier poster ... looked like Pagano had a few choice words than they both walked away.

His excuse of not knowing the rules was nonsense, but it was not any worse than some of the excuses sometimes given by many other players and coaches at one time or another.

He still has some maturity issues, but he seems to have made significant improvements in that area and he doesn't sound like he is a problem player.

I agree he is probably frustrated ... he really didn't have a chance with Harnish and our terrible 3rd string to make many plays. I know many have made the "he has potential" into a joke, but when I watch him with Hasselbeck I think you see flashes of the potential. Yes he still needs some work especially on his route running and It may never develop; but the skill and ability is there.

Unless someone great gets cut or falls into our lap I hope we keep him and give him at least one more season/off season to develop because I believe what he potentially could be is much harder to find than what we have at the end of the OL or S benches; or wasting a spot on a FB.

Walking away from the coach while he's talking to you isn't disrespect?

Even the commentator pointed it out while it was happening

Doesn't mean disrespect is what he intended.  There's been many times on football fields where coaches chew you out while walking stride for stride with you.  It's not far from the ordinary.  They grab you by your ear hole and walk step for step with you.  Bill Cowher used to do that.

I don't see the reason to get rid of him.  If we have(and with our luck we will) an injury situation at WR who else are you going to bring in that knows more about the offense than him?  You can say all you want about his route running but the man can find you the end zone. The rest he can cultivate.  Moss didn't become good at route running until later on, and there are others with great careers who were mostly known for running the 9 route like Willie Gault.  I don't think he should stop improving his craft, but I do think it's too early in the process to wipe our hands clean of the guy.

Walking away from the coach while he's talking to you isn't disrespect?

Even the commentator pointed it out while it was happening

I would have to rewatch it again, but from what I remember it didn't look like to me he walked away "while" coach was talking to him imo.  It looked to me more like coach gave him a few choice words and than they both walked away.  Like I said I could be wrong, I have not rewatched it, but obviously Pagano did not view it the same way many here did.

I would have to rewatch it again, but from what I remember it didn't look like to me he walked away "while" coach was talking to him imo. It looked to me more like coach gave him a few choice words and than they both walked away. Like I said I could be wrong, I have not rewatched it, but obviously Pagano did not view it the same way many here did.

Not Pagano, the WR coach. After Chuck talks to him, he walks for about 3 seconds then the WR coach comes and Rogers is kinda rolling his eyes and all while the coach is talking. Then you'll hear the commentator comment on how it looks like he isn't interested

Not Pagano, the WR coach. After Chuck talks to him, he walks for about 3 seconds then the WR coach comes and Rogers is kinda rolling his eyes and all while the coach is talking. Then you'll hear the commentator comment on how it looks like he isn't interested

the commentator also said, when the colts were about to punt, that the Ohio State returner was ready to receive, called Sheldon Price a first year player multiple times, and they seemed to have no idea what a screen pass was. I could go on.  They said a lot of stupid things during the broadcasts in all 4 games.  

I did not see anything from Rogers that suggested he was disrespecting either coach and I rewatched it several times.   This screams of one of those times that one person said something like "hey it kinda looked like...." and hundreds of other people start running with it and treating it as cold hard fact.

I don't remember noticing that, so I can't comment on that without going back and watching.  If he did it is definitely something he should not have done.  But, even without seeing it again it seems that neither the WR coach or Pagano viewed whatever happened as the extreme disrespect that many here seem to think it was. 

I believe there was an article I read at some point that talked about how Rogers has trouble not getting really down on himself (more than normal almost like a mental health issue ) when he messes up and gets chewed out, so maybe the coaches understand this issue, have discussed it with him, and make allowances for it.  I don't know this is the case just throwing it out there as a possibility.

If I come across the game replay or a clip I will have to rewatch it.