Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where do we find these backup QB's?

xXBOXADDICTx

There are a dozen back-end QBs in the league that have done better than Harnish this preseason. If it were up to me, I'd sign one of them to the practice squad rather than Harnish. 

That's a route we could go as well.  However the problem is that it may just be more of the same.  If the team that brought them into camp likes them they will likely put them on their own practice squad and while we can sign people from another PS to our active roster, I'm pretty sure we can't get them from PS to PS.  

That's a route we could go as well.  However the problem is that it may just be more of the same.  If the team that brought them into camp likes them they will likely put them on their own practice squad and while we can sign people from another PS to our active roster, I'm pretty sure we can't get them from PS to PS.  

There are some teams that have used four QBs in preseason, because of injuries or a tight QB competition. Some of those 4th string QBs have done better than Harnish. They can't keep them all.

If we wind up keeping Harnish around, I think it will be based on the fact that he should know the offense at this point. Might be safer to move on after the season, and this team likes doing what seems to be "safe." So I doubt that we get rid of Harnish. Maybe with the 10 man PS, we grab another QB, but I doubt that very much. However, by this time next year, we need to have a better option than we have now. Especially if Hasselbeck retires.

There are some teams that have used four QBs in preseason, because of injuries or a tight QB competition. Some of those 4th string QBs have done better than Harnish. They can't keep them all.

If we wind up keeping Harnish around, I think it will be based on the fact that he should know the offense at this point. Might be safer to move on after the season, and this team likes doing what seems to be "safe." So I doubt that we get rid of Harnish. Maybe with the 10 man PS, we grab another QB, but I doubt that very much. However, by this time next year, we need to have a better option than we have now. Especially if Hasselbeck retires.

Honestly I'd rather have the Colts playing a simplified playbook with some QB they got off someone else's practice squad then watch Harnish try to quarterback this team.  

The only good thing about it is that it would improve our draft standing.

Where do we find these backup QB's?

I haven't read the entire thread, but if I remember correctly Harnish was Mr. Irrelevant of the 2012 draft...

can you imagine peoples reactions if Grigson would have drafted a QB in an earlier round during that draft???

The same reaction the Skins fans gave the Cousins pick? ;)

I would not have been against it. 

I wanted to draft AJ McCarron, and he almost fell to us in the fifth. Even with him put on IR this year, it would have given us a decent backup to groom and replace MH in 2015.

I am about 80% sure we will draft a quarterback in the 2015 draft. 

The same reaction the Skins fans gave the Cousins pick? ;)

I would not have been against it. 

I wanted to draft AJ McCarron, and he almost fell to us in the fifth. Even with him put on IR this year, it would have given us a decent backup to groom and replace MH in 2015.

I am about 80% sure we will draft a quarterback in the 2015 draft. 

Right,

I guess I get a bit tired of the negative threads/posts about players who aren't cutting it, when it's preseason...

I get it when it's during the season & you keep seeing players underperform etc. but it's preseason, Harnish is obviously struggling, is there really much to discuss about the guy...

I mean he's a people too man, he's got feelings

Right,

I guess I get a bit tired of the negative threads/posts about players who aren't cutting it, when it's preseason...

I get it when it's during the season & you keep seeing players underperform etc. but it's preseason, Harnish is obviously struggling, is there really much to discuss about the guy...

I mean he's a people too man, he's got feelings

I agree. That said, he signed up to play. If he was playing great then we would all be singing his praises. It comes with the territory. 

I just hope (I am sure like others) , that Harnish is not in the long-term plans.

LOL. You were reading my mind. 

How does a guy like Mathews get cut in the first 75, while Harnish plays an entire game in the preseason.

Baffling brother. Just plain redonkulous.

I think he got caught up in a numbers game.  The Falcons have TJ Yates, so has NFL experience, as does Sean Renfree.  I've been wanting us to bring in Mathews since the draft.  He's a really smart guy with a really strong arm.  He has all the intangibles you could want and could develop to a reliable backup.  I would feel more comfortable with him than Harnish as the backup of the future

I think he got caught up in a numbers game.  The Falcons have TJ Yates, so has NFL experience, as does Sean Renfree.  I've been wanting us to bring in Mathews since the draft.  He's a really smart guy with a really strong arm.  He has all the intangibles you could want and could develop to a reliable backup.  I would feel more comfortable with him than Harnish as the backup of the future

I know Matt Ryan was giving him some props for how strong his arm is, and the Falcons receivers were talking about how hard he throws the rock.

That is what I saw on Hard Knocks.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/30534-colts-waiver-wireps-signings-thread/?p=862402

Looks like we were onto something here the other night. ;)

Good Call Brother!

Bengal's backup QB threw for 110 yards and a TD in the 1st half.  Harnish threw for a grand total of 14 yards.    He couldn't even throw a quick short screen to the TE without lobbing it over his head and out of reach.  This is painful to watch.  It's now his 3rd year on the team.  Shouldn't he be getting better with experience?  Grigson needs to cut him and sign another QB off the waiver wire.

Bring in Jeff Mathews!!!

My prayers to the football gods have been answered.  Major props to 21isSuperman on his prescient call for the Colts to claim Jeff Matthews.  Based on the following scouting reports and videos, Matthews appears to have a much higher ceiling than the hapless Harnish.

NFL.com         CBS Sports          NFLDraftScout        National Football Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqahH1z6vY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyqdKSAe5Q

My prayers to the football gods have been answered. Major props to 21isSuperman on his prescient call for the Colts to claim Jeff Matthews. Based on the following scouting reports and videos, Matthews appears to have a much higher ceiling than the hapless Harnish.

NFL.com CBS Sports NFLDraftScout National Football Post

I don't know that it's as serious as praying to the football gods implies, but Matthews is much more talented as a passer than Harnish is. As a developmental QB, he's an intriguing prospect. Ivy Leaguer, interesting family story, competitive, good leader... Glad we have him.

My prayers to the football gods have been answered.  Major props to 21isSuperman on his prescient call for the Colts to claim Jeff Matthews.  Based on the following scouting reports and videos, Matthews appears to have a much higher ceiling than the hapless Harnish.

NFL.com         CBS Sports          NFLDraftScout        National Football Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqahH1z6vY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSyqdKSAe5Q

Yeah buddy!!  Stoked for this!  I've been on the Mathews bandwagon since the draft!