Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.COM's MVP Predictions

PuntersArePeopleToo

What makes you say that Jules? I actually think it is one of the few awards they usually get right.

Because it is based on voting. And anything that can be voted on can be a popularity contest to me. And the media can play a big part in popularity as a season progresses too therefore influencing minds.

And it often goes to QBs too. Which means we pretty much have pre determined before any season begins that the odds say anyone on defense is automatically out no matter how dominating he is. And RBs have to jump through rings of fire in stats to even come close to a QB.

Because it is based on voting. And anything that can be voted on can be a popularity contest to me. And the media can play a big part in popularity as a season progresses too therefore influencing minds.

And it often goes to QBs too. Which means we pretty much have pre determined before any season begins that the odds say anyone on defense is automatically out no matter how dominating he is. And RBs have to jump through rings of fire in stats to even come close to a QB.

Sure there can be some bias because of the voting but this is one award IMO that they usually get right.

In terms of the QB bias, I think we all agree that on any team the QB is the most valuable in terms of how he plays because he controls so much of the game. So, in reality the other position players should have to have amazing seasons to top the best performing QB because a RB does not affect the game as much as the QB. That being said, I have always believed they should have an offensive MVP and a defensive MVP the way they do for rookie of the year. The defensive guys never get any love because so much of what they do can't be measured with stats or the stats they do have don't look as impressive as TDs or yards gained.

It's a QB award. 

Players who aren't quarterbacks have to have near historic seasons to be considered for it. Go back 20 years... seven RBs and 13 QBs have won the award. QBs have won it six out of the last seven years. And the only non-QB was Adrian Peterson and his monster 2012 season. No player other than a QB or RB has won it since 1986. 

So it comes down to which QB puts up the gaudiest numbers in 2014. In order of likelihood, I'd say that's Manning, then Rodgers, then Brees.