Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Play action: The missing ingredient

Superman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If u want an Emglish perfect paper join A FREE LANCE WRITTING CLASS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And the concerns I have are blatently valid Lets all stop hiding our heads in the sand like an ostrage and look at reality w/ the Colts and their many problems

I think basic literacy should be your main concern.

If u want an Emglish perfect paper join A FREE LANCE WRITTING CLASS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And the concerns I have are blatently valid Lets all stop hiding our heads in the sand like an ostrage and look at reality w/ the Colts and their many problems

I always find it funny when people try to make their flaws into a positive and someone who points out their flaws as the negative.  I believe that is one of the signs of the end of days... make what is wrong, right.

Anyway, if you don't mind looking like a buffoon because of what you type, it's no skin off my nose.

As far as the Colts... they have some issues but overall they are a pretty good team.

I think basic literacy should be your main concern.

There is an old saying the US and the UK are 2 countries separated  by a common language... I think Jeff shows this is no longer the case. Does anyone here speak Jeff that could translate for me? He seems to be speaking a language where tonal inflection IS VERY IMPORTANT. 

COLTS REALLY STUNK IT UP AGAINST SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that PRE SESON GAME JUST REALLY PUT THE COLTS INTO THEIR PLACE ND PERSPECTIVE,,,,,,,,,,,,,Shows how far away we really are from being an elite top five team,,,,,,,,,,,,Saints kicked our Azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in every phase/game,,,,,,,,,,,,How can we compete w/ the elite teams we hardly can we do not have the D or OLINE or the Running game ,,,,,,,,,Soooooooo We'll get to the play-offs but will stutter when facing a team like NE...............Or KC again we are not going to be able to miraculously pull a come back like that again against KC or anyone.......We didn't do enough in FA or the draft Or nor do we have the personal players to be that elite top team Unfortunitely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you man. You literally just made my crappy day a lot better!!!

You're the real MVP.

Here is a news flash ....    

For play action to "work" a OL CANNOT allow penetration up the gut.         This is Indy's Achilles heal.

Run or pass more times than not when Luck receives the snap ...    he is on the move instantly...    from up the middle.

There is a method to Pep's madness..    he is trying to NOT get our QB killed.

I think we should run more rb or te screens rather than wr screens if they are blowing up our o-line and then maybe some play action with a pump fake and go deep every once in a while .I only say that because I believe we have enough speed in our wideout(s) they are young but veterans.

• 2 months later...

Since this thread was so strangely and unceremoniously raised from the depths, I'll take this opportunity to give a status update.

First, these charting numbers are from PFF, just like before. But I've noticed that PFF doesn't always credit less dramatic play action as play action. If it's just a slight ball fake or pirouette, sometimes it isn't charted (at least that's my assumption, given how my numbers sometimes differ from theirs). So there might be some slight variance here and there, but overall, the picture should still be pretty clear.

In the preseason, Luck used play action on 9% of his dropbacks.

So far in the regular season, Luck has used play action on 19.6% of his dropbacks. He has 8 TDs and 1 INT, 9.3 yards/attempt, and a passer rating of 113.7, with play action. The other 80.4%, he has 21 TDs and 9 INTs, 7.5 yards/attempt, and a passer rating of 96.1, without play action.

Among 39 QBs who have taken at least 25% of their team's snaps, Luck ranks 25th in percentage of play action dropbacks.

Some think that a strong running game leads to more play action, which seems like conventional wisdom. Ironically, Tony Romo only uses play action on 17.2% of his dropbacks, 33rd in the league. Romo's yards/attempt are notably higher on play action (11.6 vs 7.9), but his passer rating is lower (104.9 vs 112.7), probably due to 4 of his 6 INTs coming after play action.

Other noteworthys: The Eagles QBs (Foles and Sanchez) lead the league at 32.6% of snaps using play action. Sanchez has been much better off of play action than traditional dropbacks, even better than Foles was. Russell Wilson and Alex Smith also use play action on more than 30% of their dropbacks. Tom Brady is at 28.3%, while Peyton Manning is at 21.6% (surprising to me). Kaepernick is at 19.8%, and is better on traditional dropbacks than play action dropbacks. 

Pertinent to this week's matchup, Kirk Cousins uses play action on 19.7% of his dropbacks, and his yards/attempt and passer rating are through the roof on play action dropbacks. Yards/attempt are 13.5 vs 7.1, and passer rating is 129.4 vs 74.6. That's a huuge difference, and his passer rating on play action is second only to Aaron Rodgers. (I now realize that Cousins isn't starting; McCoy is, so this isn't pertinent at all. But that's still pretty noteworthy.)

I said before the season that Luck should use play action somewhere around 25-30% of the time. He's well off that pace. There's been a lot of variance, from 8% to 36%. So the 19.6% is to be viewed as an average, not representative of what's typical. It seems there is no "typical," as the play action percentage varies wildly from week to week. Surprisingly, one of his highest play action usages games was the Giants game, where we hardly ran the ball for most of the game. I'm okay with the variance, but would like to see the baseline rise from below 10%. 

Long story short, it remains true that Luck is more efficient and effective from play action, as is the case with pretty much every good QB in the league. 

There is another poster on this board that does that very thing on the regular. haha

Yes, that is something SW1 does a lot Jvan. 3rd person not 4th person though. I will own that. LOL! My profile page on the forum even acknowledges that since so many people asked me why I often refer to myself in the 3rd person.

I'm strange; I know that. It's all good. I'm cool with that. Besides, peculiar people are impossible to forget so just consider my SW1 3rd person comedic antics my calling card I guess. 

I have no desire to be famous; I just don't wanna become infamous I guess. A minor point, but a significant distinction nevertheless. 

The missing ingredient is Richie Incognito!

I honestly hope you are kidding Bird dog. As sarcasm that is hysterically funny, as a realistic addition to our roster on the other hand not so much. 

I can't tell if you are joking or not...I will give you the benefit of the doubt & chalk it up to clever satire on your part because I'm in a generous mood right now. 

Here is a news flash ....    

For play action to "work" a OL CANNOT allow penetration up the gut.         This is Indy's Achilles heal.

Run or pass more times than not when Luck receives the snap ...    he is on the move instantly...    from up the middle.

There is a method to Pep's madness..    he is trying to NOT get our QB killed.

Nice post JD especially the part I bolded.