Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

the defense wasnt as bad as it looked

CR91

no Im not being sarcastic and im not crazy(maybe I am). here are a few observations

-the run defense was very good. the backs were only getting 2-3 yards a carry. its the running from the QBs that really inflated the stat sheet

-there was pressure getting to brees, but brees is just so good at climbing the pocket and avoiding the rush.

-the secondary held its own with brees having the time to throw. I didnt hear davis's name once. toler was obviously picked on and he answered the bell as did butler.you cant cover a perfect pass.

-I dont want to pick on anyone, but jackson had a rough game whether it was cover 2 where he gave up the td to colston or the crossing route to graham. jackson was brought he specially for his coverage ability and they werent on display. also on the ingram run, he didnt do a great job stopping the cutback and got swallowed by the lineman.

overall there are things that need to be cleaned up on defense, but nothing to really be overly concerned about. I still think this defense has the potential to be top 15

Missed tackles also helped the Saints. It's good to see the interior line creating pressure for once, I can recall we went years without that happening and had to rely on Freeney and Mathis every game. I think when Mathis and Freeman return, we will be okay. If Werner can grow into a reliable starter opposite of Mathis, I'll be one happy camper.

Yeah I thought the defense did some good things. They held the run with the exception of the one Ingram play and the QBs getting out. I thought Toler and Vontae played better than people are giving them credit for. I am also very impressed by Zach Kerr and Muamba, I hope they both make the roster because they are both playing good football right now. The bad things that I noticed was how many missed tackles there were defensively and how we couldn't get off the field on third down. Also I thought our pass rush needs to become a lot more consistent.

-the secondary held its own with brees having the time to throw. I didnt hear davis's name once. toler was obviously picked on and he answered the bell as did butler.you cant cover a perfect pass.

I did, it came after a missed tackle.

As I just close my eyes and think of how many times I was things I hadn't seen from  a Colt D in a while, I smile.

Liking the new things happening, not standing on the edge of a bridge over the things that need cleaning up. Time to rally some encouragement for my team!

Let's get it done, Blue. Excited about a season filled with new experiences. Thanks for all the hard work guys.....from the vets to the new players. Colts once again making me proud.

Coverage was good but Brees had to much time to throw. Pressure didn't come until 5-6 seconds in the pocket.

I guarantee you Brees never had five seconds to throw, much less five seconds in the pocket.

I just clocked every one of Brees' throws. There were two times where, from snap to throw, he was over three seconds, at 3.25 and 3.59, by my watch. And there was a third where he got hit by Werner, then flipped it out, and that took just over three seconds.

We didn't get a lot of pressure or a lot of hits on the QB, but he never had 5-6 seconds.

I have to disagree-- the defense was bad. Thankfully, it was just preseason.

What do bad defenses look like?  

1. Overpowered at the line;

2. Cannot create pressure on the QB,

3. missed tackles,

4. can't stop the offense on third downs,

5. allow easy TDs. 

Unfortunately, we checked every category.

Well the Saints have one of the best offenses in the league. and we tackled poorly i would expect nothing less but to get gashed  with that and getting caught in bad matchups  such as DQ covering Colston. or defending a slant by graham. missed tackles killed us though.

I have to disagree-- the defense was bad. Thankfully, it was just preseason.

What do bad defenses look like?

1. Overpowered at the line;

2. Cannot create pressure on the QB,

3. missed tackles,

4. can't stop the offense on third downs,

5. allow easy TDs.

Unfortunately, we checked every category.

If we didn't create pressure, how did Drew Brees get knocked down?

Guess the turf monster got him huh?

If we didn't create pressure, how did Kerr have a sack fumble?

Guess the wind fairy blew the ball out the QB's hand huh?

no Im not being sarcastic and im not crazy(maybe I am). here are a few observations

-the run defense was very good. the backs were only getting 2-3 yards a carry. its the running from the QBs that really inflated the stat sheet

-there was pressure getting to brees, but brees is just so good at climbing the pocket and avoiding the rush.

-I dont want to pick on anyone, but jackson had a rough game whether it was cover 2 where he gave up the td to colston or the crossing route to graham. jackson was brought he specially for his coverage ability and they werent on display. also on the ingram run, he didnt do a great job stopping the cutback and got swallowed by the lineman.

overall there are things that need to be cleaned up on defense, but nothing to really be overly concerned about. I still think this defense has the potential to be top 15

Jackson didn't play well but expecting him to cover Colston or Graham is a crazy. To me that is poor scheme. When NE shut Graham down they stuck a DB on the guy. i thought it was sheppard who got swallowed up on the Ingram run but I wasn't smart enough to hit record so have no way of checking the play.

The biggest problem was the D was on the field for 20 of the 30 mins in the first half not a D in the league is standing up to that pressure.

Jackson didn't play well but expecting him to cover Colston or Graham is a crazy. To me that is poor scheme. When NE shut Graham down they stuck a DB on the guy. i thought it was sheppard who got swallowed up on the Ingram run but I wasn't smart enough to hit record so have no way of checking the play.

The biggest problem was the D was on the field for 20 of the 30 mins in the first half not a D in the league is standing up to that pressure.

I saw davis on graham a few times

I saw davis on graham a few times

NO presents a set of problems not a lot of teams do with Graham you have to take your chances with Stills and now the kid from Oregon St. There aren't many LB's that are covering Graham if Brees gets to sit in the pocket.

If we didn't create pressure, how did Drew Brees get knocked down?

Guess the turf monster got him huh?

If we didn't create pressure, how did Kerr have a sack fumble?

Guess the wind fairy blew the ball out the QB's hand huh?

TK, I come with an offering of apple juice.

But to address your response:

Is that what we've come to? We get happy when we merely knock down a QB? Not a sack, we just knocked him down, once. Never mind that in a quarter and half, Brees threw for 128 yards and 2 TDs.

Kerr had a sack fumble in the third quarter? Against their second or third string? I'm excited about Kerr. He played well, but against second or third stringers? Don't get me wrong, it's a silver lining, but not much of one.

I will admit that it was just a preseason game, and in the grand scheme of things, doesn't matter that much, if at all. However, we can't be happy about that performance. It was bad, really, really, bad.

What's still encouraging for me is Freeman was out and no Mathis. Mathis should come into game 5 supper healthy and the remaining 12 games should be interesting with Werner and him together.

I feel it may be Interesting how Mathis plays the first few games upon his return.  Mathis can participate in training camp and in the preseason, but I think he will have to be away from the team’s facilities from the start of the regular season through Monday, September 29 for violating the PED abuse policy.  So I wonder what/where he will work out, and will there be any changes to the D playbook implementation during that time?