Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Emmanuel Sanders is so much better than Eric Decker

LordHelpOurColts

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just glad I no longer have to watch Decker give up on plays and cry for a flag. He was a huge baby. Everytime he didn't catch a ball he was signaling for a flag.

Also no more balls hitting him in the chest he doesn't catch that pop up and get intercepted.

When Decker was open he was good. When any slight pressure of a DB was on him he was worthless. Not to mention he had two left feet in open space. How many times was he tackled by the 40 yard line, 3?

Latimer will be starting more with Caldwell while Welker is gone. Sanders will go slot. They should be fine.

I think Sanders is a natural slot receiver...hard to get your hands on the slot guy and he isn't that big.

....You are right that Caldwell probably gets a shot before Latimer because Peyton knows him and his moves

I'm guessing Welker may miss the opener against the Colts at least

So you and Lord are converted Broncos fans, eh?

No. I lived in Indy for 30 years and moved to Denver last year. I am still a Colts fan first and foremost but I am also enjoying watching Peyton play still. I think the Colts have done very little to correct major weaknesses in the Oline and the running game. Denver made great strides to correct their weaknesses. I also watch Houston closely because I am a big fan of the pick of Clowney to pair with Watt and I wait to see what havoc they cause. I think they are much better than people think. They were wise not to fall for the hype and draft a QB who wasn't a franchise. Put Luck on that team and you would be talking AFC Championship game. I think the Colts are doing about the same thing with Luck as they did with Manning and are relying on him to hide those weaknesses with his brilliance during the regular season. They will make the playoffs easily enough (although the rest of the South is gaining on them quickly) but they will be a quick out in the playoffs when those weaknesses I mentioned are really exploited. I think what we saw against New Orleans last night is about what they will be against good teams. Luck has been taking the hardest pounding of any QB in the NFL since he arrived. It isn't getting any better and it is a matter of when, not if, he gets injured. I hate to see it. Peyton operated behind a bad line like that but his ability to get rid of the ball so quickly made them seem better than the really were.

No. I lived in Indy for 30 years and moved to Denver last year. I am still a Colts fan first and foremost but I am also enjoying watching Peyton play still. I think the Colts have done very little to correct major weaknesses in the Oline and the running game. Denver made great strides to correct their weaknesses. I also watch Houston closely because I am a big fan of the pick of Clowney to pair with Watt and I wait to see what havoc they cause. I think they are much better than people think. They were wise not to fall for the hype and draft a QB who wasn't a franchise. Put Luck on that team and you would be talking AFC Championship game. I think the Colts are doing about the same thing with Luck as they did with Manning and are relying on him to hide those weaknesses with his brilliance during the regular season. They will make the playoffs easily enough (although the rest of the South is gaining on them quickly) but they will be a quick out in the playoffs when those weaknesses I mentioned are really exploited. I think what we saw against New Orleans last night is about what they will be against good teams. Luck has been taking the hardest pounding of any QB in the NFL since he arrived. It isn't getting any better and it is a matter of when, not if, he gets injured. I hate to see it. Peyton operated behind a bad line like that but his ability to get rid of the ball so quickly made them seem better than the really were.

His post was directed at LordHelpOurColts.

My bad, carry on. :)

No problem. I watch three teams closely. The Colts because I have been a fan for over 50 years. Denver because I live here now and they are everywhere and I will always love Peyton. That makes the first game of the season tough for me. I hope the Colts win but everyone plays well. I think, however, that the Broncos will blow the Colts out big time unfortunately. I have also become intrigued with the Texans. I think they will be a force in the South this year. That defense is going to keep them in lots of games. I look for Houston and Indy to split their two games.

No problem. I watch three teams closely. The Colts because I have been a fan for over 50 years. Denver because I live here now and they are everywhere and I will always love Peyton. That makes the first game of the season tough for me. I hope the Colts win but everyone plays well. I think, however, that the Broncos will blow the Colts out big time unfortunately. I have also become intrigued with the Texans. I think they will be a force in the South this year. That defense is going to keep them in lots of games. I look for Houston and Indy to split their two games.

One thing I am not going to get carried away is the way the TD passes were accomplished in the Broncos-Texans pre-season game yesterday for Sanders.

I saw Brady on MNF make a deep bomb to Donte Stallworth (his last year with the Pats) in 2012, I think, when the Texans last won the division. The angle of the throw was very much like the Sander 69 yard bomb. Then, in the playoff game against them in the divisional round, he throws a wheel route pass down the sidelines to Shane Vereen, much like the 29 yard TD pass from Peyton to Sanders.

Then, T.Y.Hilton beats those safeties in a similar manner where he scores 3 TDs against them in 2013. Those guys, the safeties especially have problems keeping up with speedster wideouts or those kinds of routes. The elite/good QBs know that. 3 AFC examples have already been provided.

One thing you brought up about the Texans is their D and while their secondary has issues, their DL with J.J.Watt playing just one series and Clowney not playing made all the difference yesterday.

I don't see Denver as being any better than the Colts, I think they both have a ton of weapons for Luck and Manning to use, and defensively we both have top end pass rushers (Mathis and Miller), and both have top corners in the league as well (Talib and Davis). We are very comparable, I think our Run D has potential to be better than Denver's and their run-game may be a bit better, but it all depends on how our line does, they looked good when Holmes was out there. All in all, its pre-season, IMO there shouldn't be ANY judgements from pre-season barring an injury, its useless. Thats just how I view it, its basically a scrimmage. 

Preseasion wins and losses are meaningless but I like to see how rookies and free agents fit..

I've been watching IU's Cody Latimer with Denver..hoping he'll do well

But BC..really.,.no better? the Colts offensive line is nowhere near what Denver has.

..and the Colts don't have any running backs they can count on unless Bradshaw can stay healthy

I have this crazy idea.

How about we wait until each guy has played a full year in the Broncos' system before we anoint one or the other to be the better player?

Or maybe until at least Sanders plays one game that, you know, actually counts? 

To this point Decker has been the more productive player but there are a thousand reasons why that alone doesn't make him the better individual player. Sanders, conversely, has potential for big numbers in Denver's offense but hasn't proven yet that he can produce in that system. It sure looks like he will but he has yet to take a regular season snap wearing an orange jersey. 

I think we have to wait to see how it pans out, one way or another. And Sanders should get plenty of opportunities with Welker's situation. 

Sanders is way better than Decker.

Faster, explosive to start, creating separation, reliable, NO butter finger.

Like i said, did you even see the 2 TDs?. Yeah, we will see end of the season.

I think I tend to agree that Sanders has more upside, but even looking at their stats at the end of the year isn't a fair comparison.

The Broncos have an historic offense that broke the TD record last year, the Jets have been one of the worst offenses every single year for awhile now.

I highly doubt Decker's numbers will match Sanders, but you cant just go off of the stats to determine who is better in my opinion.

You stick any WR into Denver's offense and their numbers are going to go up significantly.  You stick a WR into the Jets lackluster offensive and its very probable that they won't do very well.

I don't see Denver as being any better than the Colts, I think they both have a ton of weapons for Luck and Manning to use, and defensively we both have top end pass rushers (Mathis and Miller), and both have top corners in the league as well (Talib and Davis). We are very comparable, I think our Run D has potential to be better than Denver's and their run-game may be a bit better, but it all depends on how our line does, they looked good when Holmes was out there. All in all, its pre-season, IMO there shouldn't be ANY judgements from pre-season barring an injury, its useless. Thats just how I view it, its basically a scrimmage.

Denver has a much, much better Oline, two legit pass rushers after signing Ware, better safeties, and a pretty good rotation of defensive lineman that could be better than the Colts

I think both have strengths and weaknesses. Overall I don't think there will be a big difference in numbers for each player by the end of the year. Overall I don't think Denver's offense suffers much if any let down from losing Decker. To me it will be made up by the addition of Sanders and use of Caldwell and Lattimer. And I agree I don't think we will see Sanders trip over imaginary lines....I mean Decker does know those lines on TV are computer generated and not like a real hurdle. Sanders speed gives them something they didn't really have last year...but they might miss Deckers big body in the redzone and on those tough 3rd down throws. That offense isn't better than last years....but they shouldn't lose any games because of it. It still will come down to the defense imo.

That's utter nonsense. He gave you numbers, you give us your opinion backed with just an eye test. You base it all on 1 pre-season game too because you possibly couldn't base it on numbers piled for Decker over 2 years, that's the true laughable part. Its only your OP pride and eye test you can hang your hat on, nothing more to see here. Moving on.

Faster is the only thing people with agree with you on Sanders.

Let me give you numbers from Andre Johnson last year and Eric Decker last year. Bet the numbers for Decker would be better. Know why? Better qb play. But that doesn't make Decker the better wr. That's all that shows. Apples and oranges comparisons don't prove anything.

Let me give you numbers from Andre Johnson last year and Eric Decker last year. Bet the numbers for Decker would be better. Know why? Better qb play. But that doesn't make Decker the better wr. That's all that shows. Apples and oranges comparisons don't prove anything.

That was pretty much what GoPats said above too. Let them both play with Peyton and we can compare.

Though it has been rehashed before, from a numbers point of view, Decker did catch 8 TD passes with Orton and Tebow as QB. To me, it just proves that he is not as bad as some posters here want to make him seem. Don't be surprised if he catches double digit TDs with Geno Smith as QB too this year. I firmly believe he is an outstanding red zone target, Peyton will miss him there.

That was pretty much what GoPats said above too. Let them both play with Peyton and we can compare.

Though it has been rehashed before, from a numbers point of view, Decker did catch 8 TD passes with Orton and Tebow as QB. To me, it just proves that he is not as bad as some posters here want to make him seem. Don't be surprised if he catches double digit TDs with Geno Smith as QB too this year. I firmly believe he is an outstanding red zone target, Peyton will miss him there.

Oh I'm not saying he is bad. I was just pointing out comparing the two as they are now proves nothing.

Eh, yes and no. Receivers bring something to the table too. Decker was a monster red zone target and a mismatch given his size. Randy Moss pretty much single handedly made Culpepper's career. Steve Smith did the same for all the lousy QBs he had to play with in Carolina.

Eh, yes and no. Receivers bring something to the table too. Decker was a monster red zone target and a mismatch given his size. Randy Moss pretty much single handedly made Culpepper's career. Steve Smith did the same for all the lousy QBs he had to play with in Carolina.

And how do you get to red zone?.

As for the topic... there's actually valid points on both sides (for once on here!) but at the moment Sanders doesn't have the body of work that Decker does and certainly hasn't had the opportunity to work with Manning (though Big Ben is no slouch).

To that end the OP is incorrect in that you can't say for definite that Sanders is that much better but he certainly could prove to be. Let's see how the seasons rolls out for each. To play advocate, if Decker gets 1000+ yards with Geno Smith throwing to him...does that make him the better WR?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm banking on Sanders on being a big-time steal in my fantasy league. I took him in the 10th round last year (when we were effectively taking backups), and thought this year, with Peyton throwing to him, that he'd have a pretty decent season. So I kept him from last year (and only needed to cough up a 10th round pick!).

No. I lived in Indy for 30 years and moved to Denver last year. I am still a Colts fan first and foremost but I am also enjoying watching Peyton play still. I think the Colts have done very little to correct major weaknesses in the Oline and the running game. Denver made great strides to correct their weaknesses. 

Denver's defense is still a weakness... and the offense bogged down in the end. 

SO. Much. Better.

6 catches for 77? No Tds.

Did you miss Julius Thomas' night? 7 for 104 with THREE Tds? That is the stud in addition to the other Thomas.

That being said, Welker may be out of a job. Sanders brings more to the table at the slot than him and they can move him around more.

6 catches for 77? No Tds.

Did you miss Julius Thomas' night? 7 for 104 with THREE Tds? That is the stud in addition to the other Thomas.

That being said, Welker may be out of a job. Sanders brings more to the table at the slot than him and they can move him around more.

Um no. If it's welker or caldwell, Peyton's picking welker every time.