Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson: Richardson "needs to answer the bell".

Dustin

Just woke up so didn't notice your comment, wish I would've then would've saved time not typing my comment out above.

Ah oh well, good workout for the thumbs

Good morning!

If the end of last season and the couple preseason games are any indication, it looks like our philosophy to move the ball any way possible, is true.

It was frustrating last season, wanting to assert dominance running the ball when we didn't have the line to do it.  I'm not sure we do now, but if we come out passing we'll be able to run.

At the peak of the Peyton years our Oline was great at pass protection, but average at run blocking.  Yet Edge and even Addai in his first year, had great seasons.  There's no way the D can stack a box with all the weapons we have to throw to.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this is the first year he'll have the authority to audible out plays

We need to be a spread team. Set up the run by passing. Teams can't stack the box if we spread them. Well they can, then they can just get burnt by Hilton.

But I see no reason for Pep to continue to try to make us something we're not. Colts have never been a power run team and they never will be. But they have been a spread team, so why not continue the trend just now we have a running game to go with it

the nfl is a passing league now and will be more with the new emphasis on not being allowed to touch receivers, it's not the ncaa. defensive coaches will always want to run the ball to protect their defense, but you have to take what the rules give you and not fight them. i think pep was a terrible hire, his resume is only andrew luck.

Please just cut this guy already. He's an absolute bust. His vision is terrible, he has no burst, his yards after contact are abysmal. Grigson got absolutely fleeced and is just digging this team into a deeper hole. Aside from having Luck fall into his lap what has he done exactly? New season, same ol' Trent Richardson. He's shown absolutely nothing in his career so far yet people still think he can be a starting back in this league. 

Sorry to burst all your bubbles, but this isn't college. If it was, JaMarcus Russell would still be starting for the Raiders.

Please just cut this guy already. He's an absolute bust. His vision is terrible, he has no burst, his yards after contact are abysmal. Grigson got absolutely fleeced and is just digging this team into a deeper hole. Aside from having Luck fall into his lap what has he done exactly? New season, same ol' Trent Richardson. He's shown absolutely nothing in his career so far yet people still think he can be a starting back in this league. 

Sorry to burst all your bubbles, but this isn't college. If it was, JaMarcus Russell would still be starting for the Raiders.

i agree with most of this, but grigson has made some good draft picks other than the no brainer luck. that being said, they were all in a draft that he had the top pick in each round. to date, the other drafts have not come close to that first one. i like what he has done with free agents so far.

Ouch. Did Grigs just straight up say Trent is not doing his job?

Ehhhh, kind of, but not totally. He acknowledged the stacked boxes and the amount of times he was getting hit in the backfield, so I don't think he's taking a jab at Richardson, per se. I'm thinking he was in an interview and was asked a direct question about our running game, so he gave direct, concise answer.

his blocking is way overrated by people making excuses for the trade.

"lethal in space"???

in 541 career touches his longest gain was 32 yards!!!! you consider this "lethal"? it's horrible in my book.

Missed tackles, almost always makes the first guy miss

It's kind of sad that the average yards per rush last year in the NFL was 4.1 ypc and if Trent got only the average yards per carry, we would all be ecstatic. Yes, the O line has problems, and Grigs needs to fix it, or if it's not so bad then Trent needs to produce at least average.

It's kind of sad that the average yards per rush last year in the NFL was 4.1 ypc and if Trent got only the average yards per carry, we would all be ecstatic. Yes, the O line has problems, and Grigs needs to fix it, or if it's not so bad then Trent needs to produce at least average.

He is a first round draft pick in two drafts!  He should produce much better than average!

Trent brought the average down to 4.1 ypc. If you remove him from the equation, the league average would have been roughly 4.7 ypc.

Good morning!

If the end of last season and the couple preseason games are any indication, it looks like our philosophy to move the ball any way possible, is true.

It was frustrating last season, wanting to assert dominance running the ball when we didn't have the line to do it.  I'm not sure we do now, but if we come out passing we'll be able to run.

At the peak of the Peyton years our Oline was great at pass protection, but average at run blocking.  Yet Edge and even Addai in his first year, had great seasons.  There's no way the D can stack a box with all the weapons we have to throw to.

They can stack the box if Pep is predictable with the play calling. I think being able to 2 TEs will help that.

They should have kept Brown.  He has been a pretty solid back the past few years.

I really liked Brown and his versatility.  But cost and the return of Ballard were factors in letting him go.  But I always felt that relying upon TRich, Bradshaw and Ballard was very risky on Grigson's part.

Grigson got absolutely fleeced and is just digging this team into a deeper hole. Aside from having Luck fall into his lap what has he done exactly?

Seriously? so you are saying getting Josh Chapman, Cory Redding, Arthur Jones, TY Hilton, Hakeem Nicks, Laron Landry, Gosder Cherilus, Ahmad Bradshaw, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Vick Ballard is doing nothing. And that is without factoring in that Hugh Thornton, Kahled Holmes, Jack Mewhort are all his draft picks, and since they have yet to play together you can't call them busts.

What about the Trade for Vontae, signing Toler, Butler, Freeman, D'Qwell Jackson, and so on. The fact that he completely rebuilt the defense in just 3 years says something. And if you can honestly sit back and say that all Grigs has done is have Luck fall into his lap proves your blindness.

Was the Trent trade a bad one, yeah it was atleast at this point. But I think the moves he has made, especially on the defensive side prove that he is a much better GM than you are making him out to be.

" I will say this, there are a lot of backs last year that wouldn’t have got [2.4] considering the amount of people he had in that box and the amount of bodies that were hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball sometimes."

THIS is a FACT that so many people seem to miss ... at least early on last year for Richardson's first few games.

In fact, the same was so true years prior when almost everybody here at the forums were slagging Donald Brown. Then, all of a sudden, last year Brown got the ball in space and look how well he did! When Richardson got the ball, though, it was like Brown years prior, he was swarmed sometimes before the hand off even happened.

I remember making a post last year that his 3 yd average early on would have been about 1, maybe 2 yards for most average backs.

Scheme / opportunity accounts for a LOT of a RB's success. Last year, for the first time basically, Donald Brown was used properly in the right scenarios and look how he shined! Richardson was NOT used properly and he suffered. Most people look at Richardson's final numbers and conclude he was %. The thing is, almost no back in the NFL would have shined in the exact same plays that Richardson had.

I'm not saying Richardson was not without his flaws, but Grigson gets it, as revealed in his comment that I quoted, which is a fact missed by most of those slagging him. I find it encouraging that Grigson gets it, but at the same time is throwing out the challenge to Richardson.

I think Grigson, unlike a lot of casual fans, gets it.

:-)

This is part of the answer, but what about the holes he missed REGULARLY & dancing for no apparent reason in the backfield this is also fact. IMO the jury is still out on Richardson as a runner although he looks better so far this year! He is an excellent blocker, an receiver out of the backfield, as well as short yardage back! Only time will tell. I hope he does play well as Bradshaw is injury prone & depth with Ballard out is thin. not leaving a lot of options. I am  somewhat optimistic!

They can stack the box if Pep is predictable with the play calling. I think being able to 2 TEs will help that.

I think we're both impying the same thing.  If we get in that tight run set, the D is expecting it and the safeties will drop.  If we throw out of that set a few times, there's no way they can stack it.

TRich needs to get rid of that little dance step he so often does before hitting the hole. It's almost like he's looking around for something that resembles the parting of the Red Sea, but in the NFL it's going to be more like just a little crack, and it slams shut while he dances around thinking about it.   You can get away with that behind an Alabama O-line, even against SEC opponents, but not in the NFL. When he just lowers his head and goes he gets much more out of it.

He is what he is. Kinda like Thomas Jones. Let him get his 3.5 yards and grind them down. We need a #2 who can back him up who is that quicker change of speed type. Pray for Bradshaw to get it done.

A Monster isn`t built in a day, we will get there. Losing Ballard was a BIG DEAL that is for sure.

Awesome post...

Almost every sentence has a major flaw...

Why can't you put some blame on Pep? Isn't he the one calling the plays into Luck? Shouldn't Luck be smart enough to change the play when he see 8 guys in the block on a run play?

Whem Ballard and Bradshaw were in, they got yards. So did Brown. Pep could probably not call so many 1st down runs and 2nd and long draw plays, but Trent would have issues no matter what.

You loved Tebow's footwork and reading defenses ability and overall mechanics?

That's all a part of throwing the ball.

Anyway, I think you got the point. You just said, about a RUNNING BACK, that you love his game except for the way he runs the ball. That's a backhanded compliment if I've ever heard one.

TRich needs to get rid of that little dance step he so often does before hitting the hole. It's almost like he's looking around for something that resembles the parting of the Red Sea, but in the NFL it's going to be more like just a little crack, and it slams shut while he dances around thinking about it. You can get away with that behind an Alabama O-line, even against SEC opponents, but not in the NFL. When he just lowers his head and goes he gets much more out of it.

Agreed. But you can't blame the man, when you're use to having gaps you can drive trucks through..... It's hard adjusting to small gaps

Even Alex Mack and Joe Thomas were opening holes for him in Cleveland

Colts offensive line he's lucky if we even open a mouse hole for him haha

That's all a part of throwing the ball.

Anyway, I think you got the point. You just said, about a RUNNING BACK, that you love his game except for the way he runs the ball. That's a backhanded compliment if I've ever heard one.

That was the intention

I know. I was just remembering the last time people freaked out about something Pagano said that was taken out of context.

It was taken out of context, but Nicks silenced every form of context you can imagine the way he showed out last week

Now we see him with Hilton and maybe Reggie?

Pshhh..... It's going down in Indy on Saturday

Good morning!

It was frustrating last season, wanting to assert dominance running the ball when we didn't have the line to do it. I'm not sure we do now, but if we come out passing we'll be able to run.

At the peak of the Peyton years our Oline was great at pass protection, but average at run blocking. Yet Edge and even Addai in his first year, had great seasons. There's no way the D can stack a box with all the weapons we have to throw to.

They didn't run out of power formations either. Was more stretch plays. Then play action off those.