Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson: Richardson "needs to answer the bell".

Dustin

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/7083/trent-richardson-has-gotten-off-to-slow-start-rushing

“Trent, he needs to answer the bell and do his job to the best of his ability,” Colts general manager Ryan Grigson said. “We’re all accountable here. I will say this, there are a lot of backs last year that wouldn’t have got [2.4] considering the amount of people he had in that box and the amount of bodies that were hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball sometimes. He’s such a hard runner, we know how tough he is, but he’s got to produce just like all these guys do on this final 53.”

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the only part of the team I don't feel confident about, the run blocking and richardson. With Mewhort back and Holmes coming back, I think this will improve the run blocking a bunch and Richardson should get at least an extra Yard Per Carry. Unfortunately with Holmes probably coming back very close to when the regular season begins, he won't get to really play with the finished product of our O-Line until the actual Broncos game. Will be a bit of a mystery how Richardson does game 1. I hope they don't forget he can catch very well also and pass the ball to him a few times a game to mix things up.

Grigson needs to answer the bell and get some players who can open holes for him AND stay healthy

Holmes had our run game churning until both he and Mewhort went out smh

Can't win when you play for the Colt's when it comes to injuries

Everyone's a target!!!!! :panic:

" I will say this, there are a lot of backs last year that wouldn’t have got [2.4] considering the amount of people he had in that box and the amount of bodies that were hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball sometimes."

THIS is a FACT that so many people seem to miss ... at least early on last year for Richardson's first few games.

In fact, the same was so true years prior when almost everybody here at the forums were slagging Donald Brown. Then, all of a sudden, last year Brown got the ball in space and look how well he did! When Richardson got the ball, though, it was like Brown years prior, he was swarmed sometimes before the hand off even happened.

I remember making a post last year that his 3 yd average early on would have been about 1, maybe 2 yards for most average backs.

Scheme / opportunity accounts for a LOT of a RB's success. Last year, for the first time basically, Donald Brown was used properly in the right scenarios and look how he shined! Richardson was NOT used properly and he suffered. Most people look at Richardson's final numbers and conclude he was %. The thing is, almost no back in the NFL would have shined in the exact same plays that Richardson had.

I'm not saying Richardson was not without his flaws, but Grigson gets it, as revealed in his comment that I quoted, which is a fact missed by most of those slagging him. I find it encouraging that Grigson gets it, but at the same time is throwing out the challenge to Richardson.

I think Grigson, unlike a lot of casual fans, gets it.

:-)

That quote is in the Grigson interview posted a day or two ago.  When you listen to it live, as a response to a question, not as a sound bite, it comes out a lot different than that.  It's matter of fact, not edgy or anything but a continuation of what Grigs always says about player performance.

What I wish he would say is....we believe in the productivity we'll get from TRich in our system, but we're disappointed with some of the features of this make and model and will have to put him in the right situations to avoid exposure to certain limitations.

" I will say this, there are a lot of backs last year that wouldn’t have got [2.4] considering the amount of people he had in that box and the amount of bodies that were hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball sometimes."

THIS is a FACT that so many people seem to miss ... at least early on last year for Richardson's first few games.

In fact, the same was so true years prior when almost everybody here at the forums were slagging Donald Brown. Then, all of a sudden, last year Brown got the ball in space and look how well he did! When Richardson got the ball, though, it was like Brown years prior, he was swarmed sometimes before the hand off even happened.

I remember making a post last year that his 3 yd average early on would have been about 1, maybe 2 yards for most average backs.

Scheme / opportunity accounts for a LOT of a RB's success. Last year, for the first time basically, Donald Brown was used properly in the right scenarios and look how he shined! Richardson was NOT used properly and he suffered. Most people look at Richardson's final numbers and conclude he was %. The thing is, almost no back in the NFL would have shined in the exact same plays that Richardson had.

I'm not saying Richardson was not without his flaws, but Grigson gets it, as revealed in his comment that I quoted, which is a fact missed by most of those slagging him. I find it encouraging that Grigson gets it, but at the same time is throwing out the challenge to Richardson.

Too bad our OC doesn't get it

If Grigs get's it he has had a talk with his OC as well.

No.   Actually I don't think that's what he said.

But, others here may disagree.......

Trent, he needs to answer the bell and do his job to the best of his ability,”

The message was surprisingly blunt. Little effort required to get to the gist of his statement. I don't think it as being out of context to say that Grigs hinted that Trent isn't doing his job.

LOL, yeah, the box was packed on every one of his carries. OK.

He was running from a lot of passing formations and he still couldnt do anything. Lets blame Pep Hamilton. Why not.

Actually on running plays disguised as passing plays he got good yards like 5+ yards on all from passing formation and he looked good. When it was obvious then he didnt do good. So yea I think we're free too blame OC right now.

I think many are taking what Grigson said here and running with it just a bit, Grigson did in fact say “Trent, he needs to answer the bell and do his job to the best of his ability,” Colts general manager Ryan Grigson said.

But he added onto that by saying this

"I will say this, there are a lot of backs last year that wouldn’t have got [2.4] considering the amount of people he had in that box and the amount of bodies that were hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball sometimes. He’s such a hard runner, we know how tough he is, but he’s got to produce just like all these guys do on this final 53.”

So yes he is saying Trent has to do his part......which I take to mean when his number is called either on the ground or by air he has to produce......We all know that...Trent has acknowledged it himself even, But Grigson also stated that he thinks there are a lot of Backs that would not have averaged 2.4 ypc considering the amount of people he had in the box along with the amount of bodies hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball sometimes, From top to bottom everyone has to do better..In other words:

If Pep gets to predictable with play calls then Pagano then has to take charge and say something to the affect of "Hey...Try something else, expand a bit, Get a little more creative"

Pep in turn has many weapons at his disposal, there is no reason to run virtually a few set plays at almost every first drive (Wide receiver quick screen pass). Im expecting this year he will be more creative if the personnel can handle it and many of them should be able to by now, If not I expect someone on that sideline to say something about him changing it up a bit

And finally...calls can be made...Heck even the perfect play call can be made...but if players don't execute then not only is it a busted play and players look bad but so do the coaches...and most notably Pep, Its a total team effort, O Line has to block....If Man Blocking is not working (and I don't think we should use Man Blocking nearly as much as we do, We have O Linemen who have different strengths, Some do well at Man.....Mewhort......Some are better on the move.......Holmes....If it were me I would use a little of everything and not a lot of 1 thing and a little of everything else..Most notably Angle Blocking I'd use)...Regardless every single man on that roster has to do there part, Every single coach has to be flexible enough to change or tweak plays that just are not working, And to be honest its not good when a fan watching at home can sit on there couch see that Dennard is pressed up on Brazill yet the pass inexplicably goes right his way with no presnap adjustment...Andrew has to do a better job at not only scanning the field before he steps up behind Center but scan the field as he is calling out and changing the play, Pre snap adjustments have to get much better, Its all a total team effort, everyone from top to bottom has to get better

How many more let's bash TRich threads will we be seeing? I understand why so many are upset with his lack of output but to keep hashing the same thing over and over is useless. Let's wait and see how things work out when the Colts can get all of their O-linemen starting. Pep gets bashed even though he was a rookie OC fresh out of college. The Colts done very well considering how many injuries and lack of veteran leadership they had. Pretty much a whole new team in 2 seasons and still had more success than anyone thought they would. Two out of the six players left over from two seasons ago are kickers. I really cant recall any team with that type of turnover doing as well. I know we are used to winning but in the past it was not good enough to advance into the playoffs except two times. It's easy to sit in our chairs and couches and say what we would do or what needs to be done. It's not that easy when you deal with a 90 player camp that needs to be cut to 53. Not to mention it all has to fit under budget. Let's give some time to see how things work out before firing the whole coaching staff from the top to the bottom.

How many more let's bash TRich threads will we be seeing? I understand why so many are upset with his lack of output but to keep hashing the same thing over and over is useless. Let's wait and see how things work out when the Colts can get all of their O-linemen starting. Pep gets bashed even though he was a rookie OC fresh out of college. The Colts done very well considering how many injuries and lack of veteran leadership they had. Pretty much a whole new team in 2 seasons and still had more success than anyone thought they would. Two out of the six players left over from two seasons ago are kickers. I really cant recall any team with that type of turnover doing as well. I know we are used to winning but in the past it was not good enough to advance into the playoffs except two times. It's easy to sit in our chairs and couches and say what we would do or what needs to be done. It's not that easy when you deal with a 90 player camp that needs to be cut to 53. Not to mention it all has to fit under budget. Let's give some time to see how things work out before firing the whole coaching staff from the top to the bottom.

Wth are you talking about?

Oh there is a plan B....    I guarantee you that

Grigs has proven he is not afraid to pull the trigger and make something happen and if Trent can't produce....     And Brad is not reliable...   He will bring in another back or two.

In fact he just did it yesterday...      another RB in the mix.

Why did they let Brown go?

This is what needs to be said....

Fate and free agency have given Trent the job...There is no 'Plan B'

Grigs is sending a message...  The Browns paid his signing bonus, Indy is not financially tied to Trent.      If he continues to struggle and Indy can upgrade they will.     And Trent will get cut...   sooner or later.    Or sit on the bench.

He has value but he has got to start making plays.       It is just the way it  is.....

I think Grigs has a good feeling about this team.     And I do too.....     And I feel he will not put up with another year of 2.8 ypc.    It has to improve.   Trent's leash in NOT nearly as long as it was last season.

I think many are taking what Grigson said here and running with it just a bit, Grigson did in fact say “Trent, he needs to answer the bell and do his job to the best of his ability,” Colts general manager Ryan Grigson said.

But he added onto that by saying this

"I will say this, there are a lot of backs last year that wouldn’t have got [2.4] considering the amount of people he had in that box and the amount of bodies that were hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball sometimes. He’s such a hard runner, we know how tough he is, but he’s got to produce just like all these guys do on this final 53.”

So yes he is saying Trent has to do his part......which I take to mean when his number is called either on the ground or by air he has to produce......We all know that...Trent has acknowledged it himself even, But Grigson also stated that he thinks there are a lot of Backs that would not have averaged 2.4 ypc considering the amount of people he had in the box along with the amount of bodies hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball sometimes, From top to bottom everyone has to do better..In other words:

If Pep gets to predictable with play calls then Pagano then has to take charge and say something to the affect of "Hey...Try something else, expand a bit, Get a little more creative"

Pep in turn has many weapons at his disposal, there is no reason to run virtually a few set plays at almost every first drive (Wide receiver quick screen pass). Im expecting this year he will be more creative if the personnel can handle it and many of them should be able to by now, If not I expect someone on that sideline to say something about him changing it up a bit

And finally...calls can be made...Heck even the perfect play call can be made...but if players don't execute then not only is it a busted play and players look bad but so do the coaches...and most notably Pep, Its a total team effort, O Line has to block....If Man Blocking is not working (and I don't think we should use Man Blocking nearly as much as we do, We have O Linemen who have different strengths, Some do well at Man.....Mewhort......Some are better on the move.......Holmes....If it were me I would use a little of everything and not a lot of 1 thing and a little of everything else..Most notably Angle Blocking I'd use)...Regardless every single man on that roster has to do there part, Every single coach has to be flexible enough to change or tweak plays that just are not working, And to be honest its not good when a fan watching at home can sit on there couch see that Dennard is pressed up on Brazill yet the pass inexplicably goes right his way with no presnap adjustment...Andrew has to do a better job at not only scanning the field before he steps up behind Center but scan the field as he is calling out and changing the play, Pre snap adjustments have to get much better, Its all a total team effort, everyone from top to bottom has to get better

Too bad our OC doesn't get it

One could also put some blame on Luck.  Shouldn't he audible out of a running play if there are too many defensive players in the box for the offense to block?  My guess is that Luck has the authority to audible out of any play if he believes that a different play would be better.  Also, maybe the Oline was just not up to the task last year, many of the fans on this board would say they were not.  Lots of ways one could look at it.

Grigs has proven he is not afraid to pull the trigger and make something happen and if Trent can't produce....     And Brad is not reliable...   He will bring in another back or two.

Money.....

Brown had little success when running out of the same formations where TRich was getting stuffed.

I think the coaching staff has learned that we're a team that's going to have to set up the run game with the pass game.  Then Trent can be the finisher.

Another body?....that guy is not going to play..

.....Its true..any good runner can run..but our RBs are here

...you cant just bring somebody in now...you know you have to learn protection schemes and such

If Ahmad Bradshaw is not OK, its Trent..and he's got to do it..

..and you don't want to look at Donald Brown's yards-per-carry in 2 games as a backup in SD

...there are a lot of backs last year that wouldn’t have got [2.4] considering the amount of people he had in that box and the amount of bodies that were hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball... (Grigson Quote)

Someone should ask Grigson...

If the other teams had so many people stacked "in the box", and all those bodies were consistently hitting Trent before he even got the ball...

WHY did we continue to run these hand-offs, and not change the plays, and throw a pass?

...there are a lot of backs last year that wouldn’t have got [2.4] considering the amount of people he had in that box and the amount of bodies that were hitting him before he even seemed to get the ball... (Grigson Quote)

Someone should ask Grigson...

If the other teams had so many people stacked "in the box", and all those bodies were consistently hitting Trent before he even got the ball... 

WHY did we continue to run these hand-offs, and not change the plays, and throw a pass?

Just stubborn.... Brown was on the special teams as punt protector..averaging twice as many yards.

They just don't believe Trent isn't as good as everybody said he was in college...

One could also put some blame on Luck. Shouldn't he audible out of a running play if there are too many defensive players in the box for the offense to block? My guess is that Luck has the authority to audible out of any play if he believes that a different play would be better. Also, maybe the Oline was just not up to the task last year, many of the fans on this board would say they were not. Lots of ways one could look at it.

I believe this is the first year he'll have the authority to audible out plays

We need to be a spread team. Set up the run by passing. Teams can't stack the box if we spread them. Well they can, then they can just get burnt by Hilton.

But I see no reason for Pep to continue to try to make us something we're not. Colts have never been a power run team and they never will be. But they have been a spread team, so why not continue the trend just now we have a running game to go with it

I love Richardson in every aspect of the game except running the ball. Richardson in space is lethal

his blocking is way overrated by people making excuses for the trade.

"lethal in space"???

in 541 career touches his longest gain was 32 yards!!!! you consider this "lethal"? it's horrible in my book.

I believe this is the first year he'll have the authority to audible out plays

We need to be a spread team. Set up the run by passing. Teams can't stack the box if we spread them. Well they can, then they can just get burnt by Hilton.

But I see no reason for Pep to continue to try to make us something we're not. Colts have never been a power run team and they never will be. But they have been a spread team, so why not continue the trend just now we have a running game to go with it

What the team was under dungy/caldwell has no bearing on the current team, or teams going forward

Brown had little success when running out of the same formations where TRich was getting stuffed.

I think the coaching staff has learned that we're a team that's going to have to set up the run game with the pass game. Then Trent can be the finisher.

Just woke up so didn't notice your comment, wish I would've then would've saved time not typing my comment out above.

Ah oh well, good workout for the thumbs

his blocking is way overrated by people making excuses for the trade.

"lethal in space"???

in 541 career touches his longest gain was 32 yards!!!! you consider this "lethal"? it's horrible in my book.

........ Guess you haven't been watching the games. Trent is a solid blocker.