Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Rice: A Football Life

Guest nflfan014

Guest nflfan014

There's a lot of debate who the greatest QB ever is, but Jerry Rice was the consensus greatest receiver of all time.  Not only was he the best, he also was the hardest worker.  Steve Young told a story about how just a few days after the Chargers SB, he went to the 49ers facility and saw Jerry training and catching passes. 

I never realized this before, but I guess Jerry was a bit of a *. Seemed a tad self-centered and obsessed to me. Not sure I would've liked being around someone like that. The bit about his last game as a 49er exposed him as selfish, self-absorbed and very brat-like. 

Jerry Rice isn't the only player to work as hard as he's worked, but trying to rank some kind of top 10 hardest working NFL players would be pointless. As far as I'm concerned, guys like him and those from his mold are all tied for first.

I also remember something that typifies Jerry Rice. During garbage time of SB XXIX, the announcers very seriously and clearly explained that if Jerry had his way, training camp would start tomorrow.

Guest nflfan014

Jerry Rice isn't the only player to work as hard as he's worked

Not saying he was.  Was just saying that he already was the best receiver of all time and wasn't content with that and wanted to get even better.

Jerry was the best but always keep in mind he caught passes from two hall of fame quarterbacks. His ability to stay healthy and the amount of years was due to his preparation. When you spend the amount of years with Montana and Young you can't help but have great numbers. He made them look great whle they made him look great also,

I never realized this before, but I guess Jerry was a bit of a *. Seemed a tad self-centered and obsessed to me. Not sure I would've liked being around someone like that. The bit about his last game as a 49er exposed him as selfish, self-absorbed and very brat-like. 

I heard some stories that Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice didn't get a long too well because Deion likes to party and have fun while Jerry is more serious.

I heard some stories that Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice didn't get a long too well because Deion likes to party and have fun while Jerry is more serious.

They covered this, the arrival of Sanders in SF the year they finally beat Dallas in the NFCGC. It was interesting to say the least. Jerry was upset that Deion was relaxed, looking to have fun and took a SB win for granted when they were preparing for the SB. Apparently Sanders even had a brand new Lamborghini delivered to his hotel on SB weekend.

So....I could understand Rice being ticked about that.

The part where they discussed Rice's last game as a 49er was what I thought made Rice look a bit self-centered.  

Guest nflfan014

They covered this, the arrival of Sanders in SF the year they finally beat Dallas in the NFCGC. It was interesting to say the least. Jerry was upset that Deion was relaxed, looking to have fun and took a SB win for granted when they were preparing for the SB. Apparently Sanders even had a brand new Lamborghini delivered to his hotel on SB weekend.

I thought that part was funny.  He said to Jerry, "Relax, you and I both know we're going to kill the Chargers by at least 20.  Don't worry about me, I'll be ok, let me have some fun."

I also thought the story about Jerry Rice being obsessive about his clothes and uniform was funny.  He'd change his uniform if there was one pink stain on it.

Jerry was the best but always keep in mind he caught passes from two hall of fame quarterbacks. His ability to stay healthy and the amount of years was due to his preparation. When you spend the amount of years with Montana and Young you can't help but have great numbers. He made them look great whle they made him look great also,

You have to keep in mind how many awesome defenders he would destroy. The only one I ever seen that handled Rice well was Woodson in a regular season game that the Steelers ended up getting blown out in.

John Taylor was very underrated. he played on those same teams with Rice and was an amazing deep threat, yet he barely gets any credit for it now.

I think it's more accurate to say that Rice made his QB's look better, cause he did go through the SF backups that were not that good. Steve Bono looked awesome when he was throwing to Rice. That 1995 season was mostly due from him, Elvis Grbac is another one that looked like a super star until he wasn't airing it to Rice.

You are in a very small minority. Like you and Randys mom small. Moss was a head case from day one. Jerry was THE best ever, and it isn't close

I know. Moss was a head case and also played with some average to lousy QBs and still amassed a stellar career. He lacks the rings of course as well but he was physically more gifted then Jerry even Jerry has admitted that. I think he had he played his entire career with Brady (they are the same age) he would have surpassed Jerry's stats and potentially his rings as well.

I know. Moss was a head case and also played with some average to lousy QBs and still amassed a stellar career. He lacks the rings of course as well but he was physically more gifted then Jerry even Jerry has admitted that. I think he had he played his entire career with Brady (they are the same age) he would have surpassed Jerry's stats and potentially his rings as well.

He isn't close to Jerrys stats, and had no where near the drive or heart Jerry had. If Jerry had Moss physical attributes who knows how many more catches and tds he would have had.

He isn't close to Jerrys stats, and had no where near the drive or heart Jerry had. If Jerry had Moss physical attributes who knows how many more catches and tds he would have had.

He is the neighborhood of Rice (197 Tds to 156) but again if you admit that Rice would have better stats if he has Moss' talent then the same would also be true if Moss had Rice's QBs for his career instead of Daunte Culpepper and the garbage QBs in Oakland.

He is the neighborhood of Rice (197 Tds to 156) but again if you admit that Rice would have better stats if he has Moss' talent then the same would also be true if Moss had Rice's QBs for his career instead of Daunte Culpepper and the garbage QBs in Oakland.

I didn't say talent. Rice had more talent than Moss. I said physical attributes (size, speed) Moss never tried to get better. He relied on his size and speed. Jerry worked on getting better everyday

I didn't say talent. Rice had more talent than Moss. I said physical attributes (size, speed) Moss never tried to get better. He relied on his size and speed. Jerry worked on getting better everyday

Not sure what the difference is? Physical attributes is talent. He was faster, bigger and a better jumper then Rice. Moss worked at his game too. He was not a slouch. He just didn't stay motivate if the ball was not coming to him. In this regard, Rice was better. He competed better but had Moss had Montana and Young or Brady for his entire career, he would not have lacked motivation.

This guy also says Eli Manning is solely responsible for every game the Giants ever lost, and not responsible for every game they've ever won.

Oh stop already. What is the deal with calling me out on a separate thread and putting words in my mouth that I never said? To be clear, I never said Eli was solely responsible for all the Giants losses but I hold him most accountable for their losses last year given his horrific play and believe he should have been benched and will be benched this year if he continues to play at that sub par level. I have no idea why you keep harping on this. Eli helped propel the Giants to their two rings which was an effort largely led by their defensive line. Pretty much everyone attests to this fact when it comes to the two SBs. Eli for sure did his part but his defensive line led the charge. Even he has said that.

Not sure what the difference is? Physical attributes is talent. He was faster, bigger and a better jumper then Rice. Moss worked at his game too. He was not a slouch. He just didn't stay motivate if the ball was not coming to him. In this regard, Rice was better. He competed better but had Moss had Montana and Young or Brady for his entire career, he would not have lacked motivation.

Physical attributes you are born with. Randy didn't work hard at his crraft. It's been very well documented. Some guys don't need to.

Physical attributes you are born with. Randy didn't work hard at his crraft. It's been very well documented. Some guys don't need to.

Link?

When he was on the Pats, Bill talked at length not only about his work ethic but his football IQ and how well he understood the game.

This validates what I was saying. He lost motivation when the ball did not come his way or when he felt he was being underpaid. Like I said, had he played his whole career with a top notch QB he may have had the same career as Rice. Although, perhaps his own selfishness would have gotten him in the end either way. Rice was one of a kind when it came to motivation and wanting to be great. Moss let all the other stuff get in the way like so many diva receivers do.

Oh stop already. What is the deal with calling me out on a separate thread and putting words in my mouth that I never said? To be clear, I never said Eli was solely responsible for all the Giants losses but I hold him most accountable for their losses last year given his horrific play and believe he should have been benched and will be benched this year if he continues to play at that sub par level. I have no idea why you keep harping on this. Eli helped propel the Giants to their two rings which was an effort largely led by their defensive line. Pretty much everyone attests to this fact when it comes to the two SBs. Eli for sure did his part but his defensive line led the charge. Even he has said that.

You put Randy Moss over Jerry Rice...and don't want to be called out.

You made no point to argue. When you start saying that Randy Moss was a better WR than Jerry Rice, there is nothing to argue. The statement is absurd.

I did make a case. Read further down with my posts to Jvan and then you can respond with an actual argument instead of insults.

Not everyone believes Rice was the greatest WR of all time just like many don't believe Montana was the greatest QB.

Rice is considered the best by every wr and cb that ever watched or played against him. Of all the positions in the league, he is basically the only player that there is no debate on who was the best. It is very universal

Rice is considered the best by every wr and cb that ever watched or played against him. Of all the positions in the league, he is basically the only player that there is no debate on who was the best. It is very universal

Sure but there are some, albeit a minority, who don't agree. Many believe Montana was the best too. I just don't get why people can't have a different opinion without being chastised or insulted. This whole forum is opinion based.

Sure but there are some, albeit a minority, who don't agree. Many believe Montana was the best too. I just don't get why people can't have a different opinion without being chastised or insulted. This whole forum is opinion based.

I agree with you here but I knew my comment about Moss would be met with some shock. I can't defend him being better by the numbers or rings for that matter but his talent was better than Rice (Rice has said that) and he played with average to lousy Qbs for the first 10 years of his career. His first season with Brady at age 30 was historic. I think it is fair to say that he may have matched or surpassed Rice if he had Brady or Montana/Young his whole career. That has been my only real point and it is subjective for sure.

There are many qbs, rbs lineman etc where an argument can be made I haven't heard anyone try to make an argument about the best wr all time.