Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Da'rick Rogers...future #1 WR

ED29_1659yards

Is anyone giving attention what D.Rogers is doing. He's looking more and more like the the guy many thought he would be. He's scored in both preseason contests, and is dominating every one-on-one matchup. With this being Reggie's last year, and Nicks having a suspect right foot, D.Rogers, T.Y. Hilton, and D.Moncrief make for a very exciting future for colts nation...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he and Whalen are going to force the team to carry 6 wide receivers. 

No doubt, these are guys we are gonna want on the team next season.  And with the plays they've been making I don't think they would clear waivers, much less last an entire season on the practice squad without someone picking them up.

Is anyone giving attention what D.Rogers is doing. He's looking more and more like the the guy many thought he would be. He's scored in both preseason contests, and is dominating every one-on-one matchup. With this being Reggie's last year, and Nicks having a suspect right foot, D.Rogers, T.Y. Hilton, and D.Moncrief make for a very exciting future for colts nation...

Colts fans think everyone on the team is a number one receiver.

No doubt, these are guys we are gonna want on the team next season.  And with the plays they've been making I don't think they would clear waivers, much less last an entire season on the practice squad without someone picking them up.

I'm not sure either of them are PS eligible. Rogers might be, but I'm pretty sure Whalen isn't. 

Why is it a foregone conclusion that this is Reggie's last year? I could see him reup with us for another 2 years. He took a big discount to stick around after the 2-14 season to help rebuild the franchise, so why wouldn't he potentially stick around a couple more to see the Monster fully built? With that being said, it's certainly a possibility that it's his last season; however, I wouldn't state it so definitively.

My mistake -, Rogers caught a 45 yard pass against the jets, but only scored...against the Giants. He HAS... dominated everyone CB he's played against this preseason...

he only has two catches in the two games. They were both great. But i wouldn't call that dominating every cb he has faced

For someone who wasn't able to see the game, explain how 1 catch for 14 yards translates to future #1?  I love Darick's potential, but for now he's a solid #4 type guy, certainly not a #1.

The fact that you didn't see the game makes me wonder how you can pronounce that he's a solid #4.

He had another catch wiped out by a bogus OPI penalty. And he got held another time or two. In general, there was no one on the field when he was out there who could cover him.

He's still a raw route-runner. It's way too early to declare that he's a future #1. But he's definitely a weapon.

I'm not sure either of them are PS eligible. Rogers might be, but I'm pretty sure Whalen isn't. 

Rogers is. . . I don't know about Whalen there is some sort of rule where you can get on PS for 3 seasons if the team has kept it's roster full.  I'm not exactly sure what that means but he might be PS eligible.  However I don't want him there.  Someone would claim him on waivers.

Since we're talking about our young receivers, I'd like to mention Moncrief. I was critical of how he's prone to body catch. That showed itself at least twice last night. If this guy starts using his hands away from his body to make those catches, even with guys hanging on him, he'll bring those balls in. If he keeps trying to trap the ball against his chest, he's going to miss out on a lot of plays.

Since we're talking about our young receivers, I'd like to mention Moncrief. I was critical of how he's prone to body catch. That showed itself at least twice last night. If this guy starts using his hands away from his body to make those catches, even with guys hanging on him, he'll bring those balls in. If he keeps trying to trap the ball against his chest, he's going to miss out on a lot of plays.

I have to say I was disappointed in Moncrief.  Between Nicks, Him, Rogers, and Whalen, Moncrief did the least.  Granted he's a rookie but I think Rogers and Whalen are both ahead of him right now.

Rogers is. . . I don't know about Whalen there is some sort of rule where you can get on PS for 3 seasons if the team has kept it's roster full.  I'm not exactly sure what that means but he might be PS eligible.  However I don't want him there.  Someone would claim him on waivers.

Yeah, whether they're eligible or not, it's hard to see either of them getting through waivers.

What's tough is that we might need to keep an extra lineman at the start of the season, with Holmes, Mewhort and Nixon being less than 100%. And then Bradshaw hasn't played yet, so we don't know whether he'll be able to hold up, and might need an extra back. We're only keeping two QBs. That makes receiver the only deep and healthy position, and we might have to sacrifice someone. 

I have to say I was disappointed in Moncrief.  Between Nicks, Him, Rogers, and Whalen, Moncrief did the least.  Granted he's a rookie but I think Rogers and Whalen are both ahead of him right now.

He drew some penalties, and I liked his route running. He's a tough cover. He just needs to attack the ball with his hands. I'm not sure that's something that he'll pick up right away. It's almost an instinct.

I think saying someone is a #1 receiver in the current NFL doesn't mean what it used to be.  With multiple receiver sets, it is more like you have two #1s.  I think where Da'Rick is going to cause some damage is that with the new emphasize on contact, he is a big, fast guy to try to cover.   I think he looks great.

The fact that you didn't see the game makes me wonder how you can pronounce that he's a solid #4.

He had another catch wiped out by a bogus OPI penalty. And he got held another time or two. In general, there was no one on the field when he was out there who could cover him.

He's still a raw route-runner. It's way too early to declare that he's a future #1. But he's definitely a weapon.

I figured there must have been more than the numbers suggested since he's getting a lot of praise today.  I went #4 because I can't see him ranking above TY, Reggie, or Nicks this year.  Didn't mean that as a knock against him, just the reality of the Colts being loaded at the WR position.

He drew some penalties, and I liked his route running. He's a tough cover. He just needs to attack the ball with his hands. I'm not sure that's something that he'll pick up right away. It's almost an instinct.

That's what I'm worried about, I don't know if you can teach hands. . .  DHB spent like 5 years in the NFL and could never learn to catch the ball with his hands. 

Moncrief is obviously not that bad, but he could have an issue with drops if he body catches too much.

I have to say I agree with you on this one

I must say that if you base this off the games then I think you are on the money.  I think Rogers and Whalen are ahead of Moncrief in the offense as of right now.  I think Moncrief will eventually make a good leap with more experience later on in the year.  He seems to be feeling his way around right now from my observations.

That's what I'm worried about, I don't know if you can teach hands. . .  DHB spent like 5 years in the NFL and could never learn to catch the ball with his hands. 

Moncrief is obviously not that bad, but he could have an issue with drops if he body catches too much.

That's what's weird, though. His hands are fine. When he does use them, he generally makes the catch. It's not like DHB, whose hands are made of stone. DHB body catches because he knows his hands don't work. Maybe Moncrief suffered from bad hands earlier in his playing career, and now instinctively tries to body catch.

To me, he doesn't attack the ball. There were plays in college where he'd be four inches taller than his defenders, or maybe double-covered by two smaller guys, and if he would go up and snatch the ball, he'd be unstoppable. But he'd wait for the ball to drop to him. If he ever starts attacking the ball, not just when it's up high, but always, he'll be dangerous. But, like you say, I don't know if it's something that's teachable. Even if it is, he has to undo the bad habit he already has of letting the ball into his body.

I haven't been impressed with Moncreif at all in gms. But he's young. I like his temperament and he seems to show potential in practice.

I love Da'rick's potential. Hopefully his hands will be a little more dependable.

WRs and LBs from canada seem to be Grigson's strong suit

Da'rick is from Atlanta and went to Tennessee tech

My mistake -, Rogers caught a 45 yard pass against the jets, but only scored...against the Giants. He HAS... dominated everyone CB he's played against this preseason...

He has a considerably limited route selection he has been asked to run, I think it is by design. Until he can work the CBs underneath more, he won't be on the field much more. Until he is on the field much more, he won't even be close to a #2. He is #3 at best right now  because of his limited routes he can. Go routes, jump balls and screen passes underneath is what I see him used for right now. I am not saying he won't do more, he is just not there yet, otherwise coaches would have played him for more minutes with the first unit.

He has a considerably limited route selection he has been asked to run, I think it is by design. Until he can work the CBs underneath more, he won't be on the field much more. Until he is on the field much more, he won't even be close to a #2. He is #3 at best right now because of his limited routes he can. Go routes, jump balls and screen passes underneath is what I see him used for right now. I am not saying he won't do more, he is just not there yet, otherwise coaches would have played him for more minutes with the first unit.

Is he starting to remind anyone else of a young Garçon? Big, physical, raw, limited route running abilities, very fast, questionable hands.